Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

It's been rather quiet on this thread! I KNOW there are more "lessons" to be taught and learned :) I'm still in "is it or isn't it" in blues, some aquas, that lovely violet and even greens! Actually, I have more trouble telling if it's clear and not muted.

Princess422,

Thanks for the JCrew info. I went to the Indy JCrew store this weekend and found out that if I order something online that is final sale and unreturnable, I CAN return it if I call and ask for a note to be put into the account that says I can return it to a STORE within 60 days if it isn't the color it appears online and I don't like it.

So, I decided to order this dress as it appears more yellow/green and I "think" I can dress it up or wear it more casual. I think it looks a little more forgiving in the waist area since it's an empire cut and I like the material. Plus it was only $39.

http://www.jcrew.com/womens_special_sizes/size16/dresses/PRDOVR~19849/99102017324/ENE~1+2+3+22+4294967294+20~~P_saleprice|0~20+17+4294967097+73+4294966675~90~~~~~~~/19849.jsp

I've also been searching in vain for camel pants in a classic style and affordable (for me) that fit and aren't old lady cut. I think I'm going to order some from Talbot's. I found 3 pairs that are lower cut, have flared legs and bootcut legs. They have 30% off all full priced pants and I found a free s/h code. I can also return them to a store if they don't fit or I don't like them.

I also found a swim suit on the Athleta site that's on clearance. It's a lovely chocolate brown (that I "think" is a Fire brown). I have another suit in the same pattern from Athleta and I love it.

Dear Lord, I've been on a shopping terror! Luckily, I haven't gotten many new clothes in the past couple of years, I've worked more the last couple of weeks and I've found lots of really good bargains :)

I'm about at the end of my spree though. I don't think I've paid under 50% off for anything and most have been in the 50-75% off range. Still a big splurge for me.

Anita,

Is your Mom back yet? I hope she'll pop on and tell all about their cruise.

It looks like from her thingy on her signature, that Terri is on her cruise now. Maybe she'll post some pictures of her Fire outfits :)

Any other news out there?

Joby,

I think that dress will be a beautiful FIRE green! (If real life is represented well online, of course). I think that A-line will be very flattering. I like the neck line too; you don't need to worry about a necklace, but can have fun with earrings and bracelets.

My mom is still on the cruise. We keep in touch through emails. The last one I got from her (yesterday or the day before), they were in Spain and then a sea day. I'm not sure by memory what other ports are on the agenda before they take off across the Atlantic. Their travel plans have them on vacation for 28 days!! :cool:

Great job on all your clothing purchases! I am in the total opposite boat. I hope you don't mind my sharing on your thread...I have been trying to revamp my wardrobe ever since I discovered my lovely earth-yness. Also, trying to figure out my own personal style after years of wearing clothes fit for playgrounds and/or painting the house and other reno. Just recently, I have fallen in love with the Project Runway series (checking it out from the library and watching it a season at a time) and also LOVING Tim Gunn, who to me is the epitome of the word KIND...so I got one of his books and doing the exercise within it, I have effectively gotten rid of about 70% of my clothing. I now have an absolutely boutique looking closet with anywhere between 3 and 4 inches of space between each hanger in it.

And it's all so fabulous, I have discovered some great outfits within my own already owned clothing...one was truly inspired by Mondo (sp?) from the most reason season, being an amazing print on print ensemble that matched so well you could never have known how far apart the pieces were purchased...one being a sundress from JCPenny and the other a cardigan my Mom gave me from the Spa line at Chicos. (Mom ended up giving me a lot of her Earth toned clothing after she finally became dedicated to dressing in Fire...it helped too that she was shrinking also and the items were a bit baggy on her, while fitting me very well! LOL)

ALSO...I am steadily undergrowing my clothing...which I think I mentioned before...maybe I mentioned all of this before?:D:o Anyway, I am just retiring clothing that gets way too baggy, big and annoying. I anticipate a complete wardrobe make over before it is all said and done...

Meanwhile, I am doing what I can to make what I have work as the seasons change...using super fun tights to extend the life of skirts and sundresses into autumn. I've been seriously paying attention to my clothes for about a week now and the response from random sources has been truly a boost to the ego, fueling the fire that is already lit in enthusiasm for getting fit before the big 40 bday.

And that's what is going on with me on the fashion front...:)

Anita,

please share away. I'm not possessive of this thread! I'm just glad that you are all so helpful in answering the many questions and giving opinions :)

I'll bet you're really proud of yourself for your weight loss and clothing loss. What willpower. As we age, it seems that willpower can wane sometimes (at least on my front).

A hearty congrats to you!!! Keep up the good work.

Your Mom's trip sounds so fascinating. Tell her "hi" and ask her to let us live vicariously through her travels when she returns :)

I have been a stay-at-home Mom for the last 22 years and just went back to work part time in the last year. I LOVE it. It has been really good for me. I know about playgrounds, school volunteering, house "stuff", etc. But, I'm very thankful I was able to stay at home with our kids and spend that time. It's irreplaceable.

I'm just not a fashion person. I LOVE to shop though, especially for bargains. I like to get new things but have had to (and probably would anyway just because) be on a tight budget. I like classic things, I'm not particularly stylish :)

I'm just as excited to get something really nice at Goodwill as something new. Actually, I think I like the challenge of finding a good piece of clothing that's mixed in with the junk. It makes it that much more satisfying when I get compliments and I can say I got it for $2.50.

I must admit I'm having a blast doing all of this shopping for my new Fire palette. A new challenge for this stage in my life I guess. I also love to learn and this is challenging to my scientific brain :)

Oh, I did order 3 pairs of pants from Talbots. They were on sale for 30% off + I found another code for another 20% off + $5 S/H. I saved a chunk of change and hopefully, at least one pair will fit nicely and be a good color.

Thanks for the fashion lessons, Miss Latte :D

please share away. I'm not possessive of this thread! I'm just glad that you are all so helpful in answering the many questions and giving opinions :)

I wanted to apologize for posting so much on this thread too! I could just start my own... on the exact same topic... LOL. But I am learning a lot by just reading. My Christmas list is done, so if anything on there is not right, oh well. I'm pretty confident about most of my choices, but I had to stay away from blues and purples, except for a couple of items at Express in a blue color called "hollyhock." Since your Old Navy top in the Bluest Eye color was a hit, I bookmarked that as a reference - this blue looks exactly the same on the screen so hopefully both are true to life. So this thread has definitely been helpful!

I did take one big risk, I asked for a twinset from Talbot's in a shade called Plum Plush which is definitely clear and bright but may or may not be warm. It doesn't exactly match any of the colors on my cards but it looks warm to me:

http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi25039&rootCategory=cat90030&catId=cat80002&sortKey=Default&section=Sale&conceptIdUnderSale=cat90030

And if I am wrong, then oh well, I guess I will just be slow to make progress. But most of the rest of the items were shades of ivory, bright orangey red (love that color anyway), rich chocolate brown and peach or coral that I was pretty certain about - I think those are much easier to identify. Largely thanks to you guys!

Anita: I am so jealous of your mother. I also just adore Tim Gunn... not only is he THE fashion expert, but he's just a wonderful person. And Mondo was my favorite this season on PR! I love the way he mixes prints, which I've never been able to do, so congrats to you on that as well as the weight loss!

I am painfully jealous of your mom. ;)

I wanted to apologize for posting so much on this thread too! I could just start my own... on the exact same topic... LOL. But I am learning a lot by just reading.

No need to apologize, Princess422. I don't "own" the thread, I just started it :)

I love that orange/red color on our cards too. I have gotten several things in that color. Enough that my son says "I see you got something else in THAT color" :D

This is a fun and educational thread, let's keep it active.

A pop quiz here---

Speaking of Express, I seem to remember that Curt got a bunch of his Fire shirts there. So, after Princess422 mentioned Express, I went to the website.

http://www.express.com/1mx-modern-fit-stretch-cotton-shirt-19924-689.pro?user_att_name=Interest&Mrsavf=*&Mpper=3&Mcat=689&Mpos=3&Mcatg=cat_1&Mrnam=Style&Mrval=Dress+Shirts&Mreft=1&Mcatn=View+all+Shirts&Mcatp=cat_49&user_att_value=Email&Mppg=0&Mrsaa=*&Mpg=SEARCH%2BNAV&Mcatpn=category#jsLink

I found this men's shirt in several colors. Just wondering what if any of these might be Fire. I would guess (and I get myself in trouble for thinking and guessing sometimes:))that the only Fires I might guess would be:

Branch, Charter, maybe Bluebird and Marine, Cobalt looks to be an Ice maybe? I wouldn't place much of a bet on any of the blues-my arch nemisis.

Just testing my uneducated eye:D Opinions?

I'll answer the pop quiz...

If I were to pick out all the FIRE colors in that shirt style, I would guess:

Bluebird

Borealis

Bright Purple

Charter

Cobalt Blue

Concord

At least on my screen. They all have that hurt your eyes kind of intensity on my screen...

By contrast, I would put these as ICE:

Classic Blue

Horizon Blue

Ink Blue

Marine

Pink Flame

Seaside Blue

Purple

Which are also intense, but reading cool, and definitely not hurting the eyes...LOL.

The Branch color? I think that it just might be a little too dark to really be a great shirt color for FIRE. I think I would look fabulous in Branch. Amber and Jungle are also me. Russian Ruby also looks like me. Komodo too.

Princess: The difficult thing about the Talbot's site is that they don't actually take pictures of the different color options. They have just Photoshopped the colors to the photograph. It is possible that the Plum Plush is a Fire color, or not. The photograph is completely unreliable because of the process.

My Mom and Dad worked very hard to get to this point in their lives. It's very inspiring!

I'll answer the pop quiz...

If I were to pick out all the FIRE colors in that shirt style, I would guess:

Bluebird

Borealis

Bright Purple

Charter

Cobalt Blue

Concord

At least on my screen. They all have that hurt your eyes kind of intensity on my screen...

By contrast, I would put these as ICE:

Classic Blue

Horizon Blue

Ink Blue

Marine

Pink Flame

Seaside Blue

Purple

Which are also intense, but reading cool, and definitely not hurting the eyes...LOL.

The Branch color? I think that it just might be a little too dark to really be a great shirt color for FIRE. I think I would look fabulous in Branch. Amber and Jungle are also me. Russian Ruby also looks like me. Komodo too.

I totally see:

FIRE

Bluebird

Charter

I debated the Concord but chickened out because the name reminded me of grapes. A fine example of why not to pay attention to color names :)

EARTH

Amber

Jungle

Ruby

Komodo

ICE

Ink

Pink

Purple

Seaside blue

Classic blue

I do NOT see how Borealis, Bright purple and (I could go either way on Cobalt) could be Fire. I do see that they're bright but, Borealis looks mixed not clear to me, and bright purple looks like a blue undertone.

Branch looks like it's not bright but also looks very dark chocolatey to my eye, so that' why I said Fire.

Glad this wasn't a real test, I wouldn't have been too happy with my grade!

Princess: The difficult thing about the Talbot's site is that they don't actually take pictures of the different color options. They have just Photoshopped the colors to the photograph. It is possible that the Plum Plush is a Fire color, or not. The photograph is completely unreliable because of the process.

How the heck do you know how Talbot's does their pictures???? I am learning such fascinating things on this thread!

I do NOT see how Borealis, Bright purple and (I could go either way on Cobalt) could be Fire. I do see that they're bright but, Borealis looks mixed not clear to me, and bright purple looks like a blue undertone.

Branch looks like it's not bright but also looks very dark chocolatey to my eye, so that' why I said Fire.

I know. I know. When I was being "diagnosed" by Curt, he really wanted to see me in Fire blue. He used the Express site to show me what Fire blue was. And Fire purple. My conclusions are based largely on my Curt education from the Express site. I am pretty confident in what I am seeing though.

At some point, muted and clear become difficult. When you start to have those colors that aren't clearly on one side of the coin or the other. But Borealis is definitely too bright to be worn by someone that needs muted coloring. WAY too bright really, so by default, it works for either fire or ice. It's definitely reading warm on my screen. Please note that they have matched it with warm jeans and not the gray colored jeans that a lot of other colors are matched with.

Bright purple does not look good with the silver of the belt buckle. It just doesn't. And when I see the "golden" color of the Amber on the screen, I can just totally picture GOLD accessories with that purple so much more than the silver. Thus, FIRE.

Cobalt. There's no doubt in my mind. It doesn't go with those gray jeans at all. AT ALL on my screen. Again, I'm actually liking it in theory with gold accessories (using the Amber square as a guide).

How the heck do you know how Talbot's does their pictures???? I am learning such fascinating things on this thread!

I used to do desktop publishing for a living. I worked with Photoshop. How you know that Photoshop is being used to show the color is that the photograph doesn't change in any way except for the color changing on the clothing item being marketed. The model position is the same, background the same, etc etc.

If you look again at the Express site, you will notice that for each color that you click on, you get a brand new picture that shows the item in the color you selected. The model position changes. The pants change. It's clearly a new picture being shown. These are better to use for identification purposes, but still subject to all the faults of trying to identify colors on a computer.

I know. I know. When I was being "diagnosed" by Curt, he really wanted to see me in Fire blue. He used the Express site to show me what Fire blue was. And Fire purple. My conclusions are based largely on my Curt education from the Express site. I am pretty confident in what I am seeing though.

At some point, muted and clear become difficult. When you start to have those colors that aren't clearly on one side of the coin or the other. But Borealis is definitely too bright to be worn by someone that needs muted coloring. WAY too bright really, so by default, it works for either fire or ice. It's definitely reading warm on my screen. Please note that they have matched it with warm jeans and not the gray colored jeans that a lot of other colors are matched with.

Bright purple does not look good with the silver of the belt buckle. It just doesn't. And when I see the "golden" color of the Amber on the screen, I can just totally picture GOLD accessories with that purple so much more than the silver. Thus, FIRE.

Cobalt. There's no doubt in my mind. It doesn't go with those gray jeans at all. AT ALL on my screen. Again, I'm actually liking it in theory with gold accessories (using the Amber square as a guide).

First off, thanks for the newest lesson.

Now, I do see that Borealis seems warm but, why doesn't it look as bright as the Bluebird? And, are the jeans warm because they are very blue and not faded at all? I wondered how jeans could be called warm. So, I should look for the bright blue jeans?

The Bright Purple looks very purple/blue to me. More blue than purple. How is that not blended? I do see that gold might look very nice with that blue or purple or whatever color it is :) Why is purple not on the color card- just the reddish-violet?

Cobalt--how do you tell the difference between Ice cobalt and Fire Cobalt? Especially if it's a dress and the model doesn't have on other colors to compare? I just have a block on seeing the Fire blue and I love it so much and want to get several things in it but am way too afraid to spend much because I'm too unsure. My thinking is: if I'm gonna shell out the $$ I want to be sure I look good in it now that I'm a for sure Fire :D

It seems like I can see the differences when they are point blank pointed out but, am really questionable when I'm on my own.

It looks like those Express shirts could be a very good color control, especially when I look for them the next time I'm near an Express.

What a fascinating fact about Photoshop you have just given. The things I'm learning!

Thanks again.

This is so instructive. I was definitely certain of the cobalt (yay!) and I also immediately thought that the bright purple was fire, even though it doesn't really come close to matching any of the colors on the cards - I guess that is a good example of looking for colors that go WITH the palette instead of matching them. When I'm confused between fire and ice (I generally have a much easier time discerning between clear and muted) I also do the jewelry test in my head, it is becoming sort of like reflex now. It helps SO much! Some colors are hard to tell when I first look at them, but if I try to picture it with silver versus gold jewelry, some of them just become obvious. That bright purple was one of them - definitely much better with gold, I think.

Joby, I was also not too sure about Borealis. I think it may be my monitor. It's definitely bright, but I'm having a hard time with warm and cool on that one. Concord also looks like more of a dark maroon-red on my screen, so maybe I need to have my monitor fixed, but I don't even have any clue how to do that.

Thanks for all the info! Now if only Express made women's button-down shirts in so many colors. :rolleyes:

Anita, I should have realized that about the Talbot's website. But I'm just crossing my fingers on the twinset, because I love that purple. If not, my mom always keeps receipts.

First off, thanks for the newest lesson.

Now, I do see that Borealis seems warm but, why doesn't it look as bright as the Bluebird? And, are the jeans warm because they are very blue and not faded at all? I wondered how jeans could be called warm. So, I should look for the bright blue jeans?

The Bright Purple looks very purple/blue to me. More blue than purple. How is that not blended? I do see that gold might look very nice with that blue or purple or whatever color it is :) Why is purple not on the color card- just the reddish-violet?

Cobalt--how do you tell the difference between Ice cobalt and Fire Cobalt? Especially if it's a dress and the model doesn't have on other colors to compare?

Obviously Anita is the expert here, but I might be able to provide a little feedback... which is helpful for me too because Anita can correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

I think the jeans are warm because of the temperature, not the fade. Whether they are faded versus bright would seem to have more do with clear versus muted or powdery, not so much whether they are warm or cool. A lot of faded jeans look like they have a shade of yellowish brown mixed in with the blue, at least when you compare them to true blue jeans; those make me think earth. The ones that look like they have grey, cool beige or greyish brown mixed in look like air to me. I do have a harder time with the brights and distinguishing between ice and fire in practice, even though the difference between the blues on the two color cards is clear. (BTW, I did print out all four pallettes with the highest quality setting on my printer, on glossy photo paper, and I think it really is helpful.) Usually at that point the jewelry test is most helpful to me; but if that doesn't work, then I'm lost! LOL So I still have a ways to go. But I do see the jeans with the Borealis shirt as being warm. They just seem more like the yellowish "light true blue" of fire than the purplish "bright clear blue" of ice.

As for the bright purple shirt, I think it is ALMOST on the cards - it is similar to the "deep periwinkle blue" - it's darker, but still very bright and clear. I think you are seeing it as a bluish purple rather than a purplish blue which makes a difference to me, because I see the former as a cool shade and the latter as a warm one, although I'm not quite sure why. Maybe Anita can provide some clarification there. But what really does it for me with that shade is the jewelry test, and I would say the same regarding your cobalt question - does it look better with silver or gold? Sometimes that still doesn't help me (at least until someone points it out - I'm with you on that one) - but sometimes it sheds a lot of light.

I have a question: Can colors be neutral? I mean, at least in theory, there has to be some sort of middle ground where the temperature of the color is stradding the line. I have a beige suit that doesn't look particularly warm to me, but doesn't look really cool, either, and I'm just wondering. Obviously that already means it's not the best color, but is it possible to have shades that are do-able for more than one season? Thanks in advance.

Dyan

I think the jeans are warm because of the temperature, not the fade. Whether they are faded versus bright would seem to have more do with clear versus muted or powdery, not so much whether they are warm or cool. A lot of faded jeans look like they have a shade of yellowish brown mixed in with the blue, at least when you compare them to true blue jeans; those make me think earth. The ones that look like they have grey, cool beige or greyish brown mixed in look like air to me.

Dyan

I do see some jeans that have that "different" finish to them. they look really yellowed. Also some jeans are gray or black and I get that. Some are really a bright'ish blue and that I can see but, I just can't quite picture Fire jeans.

Any chance of anyone posting a picture of some Fire jeans?

Edited by Joby

I have another question--does a color still "go" with the cards if it is lighter or darker than the pictured card color?

I ask because when I was volunteering at our thrift store today I came across a sweater that was a lot lighter than my lightest green but, it still looked similar in that it was a yellowish bright green.

If in doubt, is the brightness of a color a good thing to rely on?

Joby...The key word to think about is BLEND...doesn't matter if the color is lighter or darker, so long as it is BRIGHT (not muted) and BLENDS into your color cards...you are good to go.

This is going to hold true for blue jeans for fire as well. I have been looking for true fire blue jeans for a long time now (I often shop for my Mom as I shop for myself) and I don't think it exists. Not in the traditional denim blue. In order for a fabric to be called denim, it is a specific weave of fabric (results in give/ease) and also it is a specific way of weaving the blue fabric with another color, which is why there is an undertone to denim and the wrong side of denim is very obviously the wrong side of the fabric. By the very nature of traditional denim, I don't think you can ever truly find an Ice or Fire denim in traditional blue. Traditional denim will almost always be muted.

Thus, often times, denim will have that "white" look to it, and that white on the inside...these are the Air denim. Sometimes, the stitching will even be white... Othertimes, there is that yellowy/gold (aged) look, and the stitching will also be that golden, goldenrod-like, thread...these are the EARTH denim.

Now, if you can find denim that is made with the denim fabric, but isn't died until the fabric is woven...(the wrong side will be harder to distinguish)...then you have a shot at finding denim in a fire or ice color. I think Coldwater Creek has had denim capris in colors like coral and mint and yellow...

This is one of those things where you just have to know how to work with the color palatte and bend the rules. Find a denim that reads warm and go for it. Wear your brown shoes (or accent shoes) and wear your bright, clear color close to your face.

So, Dyan, yes, the jeans are warm because of the temperature...the fade will just about put all denim in the muted category. I'm thinking that the only denim that might qualify as not muted...think brand spankin' new dark denim...like Wrangler denim...like retro Jordash or Brooke Shields in Calvin Kleins...

It IS possible to have a fabric that walks the line between seasons. The nature of the seasons will do that, because it is all based on a spectrum, so as a color approaches the dividing line, in theory you could find a fabric that would be neutral. The funny thing about a fabric like that though, generally speaking, depending on the color of course...it ends up looking great on no-one. I would put "beige" in that category. So little color there to work with in the first place...if it is a borderline thing...it isn't rich enough for earth, isn't bright enough for either Ice or Fire...and if it isn't clearly in the pink zone for Air, then Air doesn't look lovely, but just washed out as well...

With a beige suit...you really have to work it...because that will probably be a suit color that you will have to work with for a while until you really nail some great fire suits. If the color will work with a bright, tomato red shirt...and you accessorize with gold jewelry...and you wear brown shoes...and perhaps you have a fun scarf that has an accent of red in the midst of fire colors to bring your whole look together (and to perhaps get your fire color closer to your face if your shirt is not high necked)...and the beige works in multiple versions of this same scenario...trading out your fire shirts...then you have a great suit...this is what learning about the colors is all about. It isn't about having to dress by a set-rule, it is knowing how to break the rule and still look good.

For example, I am working with my clothes...I have a super fun black Chico's skirt that i have loved forever. It's an A-line skirt. It's super flattering. The material is heavy, it hangs just right...it has cream colored thread throughout to create a pattern in the black. I still have it. One outfit that I have put together recently (after the fun closet par down) is a more drapy, rayon knit muted gold turtleneck. I have a matching muted gold jacket that is a tone on tone pattern thing. I have a black corset belt (to show off my emerging curves). It's black and muted gold. Do I think it would look better with brown? Oh yes, I surely do. But the world is trained to mix and match all the colors of the seasons, especially with black, and so it works on that level. The muted gold is close to my face and the outfit looks great on me. Will I eventually replace the black skirt? Yes. But I know how to manipulate where to put color on me to "Make it work"! LOL.

Dyan (thanks for posting a name so I can stop thinking of you as princess LOL)...here's hoping your purple twinset will be FIRE!

Joby...The key word to think about is BLEND...doesn't matter if the color is lighter or darker, so long as it is BRIGHT (not muted) and BLENDS into your color cards...you are good to go.

This is going to hold true for blue jeans for fire as well. I have been looking for true fire blue jeans for a long time now (I often shop for my Mom as I shop for myself) and I don't think it exists. Not in the traditional denim blue. In order for a fabric to be called denim, it is a specific weave of fabric (results in give/ease) and also it is a specific way of weaving the blue fabric with another color, which is why there is an undertone to denim and the wrong side of denim is very obviously the wrong side of the fabric. By the very nature of traditional denim, I don't think you can ever truly find an Ice or Fire denim in traditional blue. Traditional denim will almost always be muted.

Thus, often times, denim will have that "white" look to it, and that white on the inside...these are the Air denim. Sometimes, the stitching will even be white... Othertimes, there is that yellowy/gold (aged) look, and the stitching will also be that golden, goldenrod-like, thread...these are the EARTH denim.

Now, if you can find denim that is made with the denim fabric, but isn't died until the fabric is woven...(the wrong side will be harder to distinguish)...then you have a shot at finding denim in a fire or ice color. I think Coldwater Creek has had denim capris in colors like coral and mint and yellow...

This is one of those things where you just have to know how to work with the color palatte and bend the rules. Find a denim that reads warm and go for it. Wear your brown shoes (or accent shoes) and wear your bright, clear color close to your face.

So, Dyan, yes, the jeans are warm because of the temperature...the fade will just about put all denim in the muted category. I'm thinking that the only denim that might qualify as not muted...think brand spankin' new dark denim...like Wrangler denim...like retro Jordash or Brooke Shields in Calvin Kleins...

It IS possible to have a fabric that walks the line between seasons. The nature of the seasons will do that, because it is all based on a spectrum, so as a color approaches the dividing line, in theory you could find a fabric that would be neutral. The funny thing about a fabric like that though, generally speaking, depending on the color of course...it ends up looking great on no-one. I would put "beige" in that category. So little color there to work with in the first place...if it is a borderline thing...it isn't rich enough for earth, isn't bright enough for either Ice or Fire...and if it isn't clearly in the pink zone for Air, then Air doesn't look lovely, but just washed out as well...

With a beige suit...you really have to work it...because that will probably be a suit color that you will have to work with for a while until you really nail some great fire suits. If the color will work with a bright, tomato red shirt...and you accessorize with gold jewelry...and you wear brown shoes...and perhaps you have a fun scarf that has an accent of red in the midst of fire colors to bring your whole look together (and to perhaps get your fire color closer to your face if your shirt is not high necked)...and the beige works in multiple versions of this same scenario...trading out your fire shirts...then you have a great suit...this is what learning about the colors is all about. It isn't about having to dress by a set-rule, it is knowing how to break the rule and still look good.

For example, I am working with my clothes...I have a super fun black Chico's skirt that i have loved forever. It's an A-line skirt. It's super flattering. The material is heavy, it hangs just right...it has cream colored thread throughout to create a pattern in the black. I still have it. One outfit that I have put together recently (after the fun closet par down) is a more drapy, rayon knit muted gold turtleneck. I have a matching muted gold jacket that is a tone on tone pattern thing. I have a black corset belt (to show off my emerging curves). It's black and muted gold. Do I think it would look better with brown? Oh yes, I surely do. But the world is trained to mix and match all the colors of the seasons, especially with black, and so it works on that level. The muted gold is close to my face and the outfit looks great on me. Will I eventually replace the black skirt? Yes. But I know how to manipulate where to put color on me to "Make it work"! LOL.

Dyan (thanks for posting a name so I can stop thinking of you as princess LOL)...here's hoping your purple twinset will be FIRE!

The learning just never stops! I think I'm about a 4 on a 1-10 fashion knowledge scale. I don't really know how to put together lots of different pieces, accessories, shoes, purses, etc. I marvel at people like you, anita, that can do all of that :)

I DO like to look nice and match, I'm not that much of a nerd. But, I do keep it pretty simple, decent top, decent bottom, decent half way matching shoes, socks, my standard jewelry and earrings and I'm pretty well good to go :eek:

I would be pretty nervous to put two patterns together and pull if off confidently. Now, ask me what kind of fish or underwater life I'm looking at and I can spout off the names. Ask me what bird that is and I'll tell you. OR, ask me if I can find a really good bargain and I'm good to go.

I guess we all have our gifts and Anita, one of yours is 'splaining color and fashion sense.

I love all of this schooling.

Dyan, I'm also glad to have your name and what a pretty spelling it is :)

Kim

Kim...you are so complementary to me, I don't think I deserve it. But I thank you for it.

I'm entering a stage of life where I am getting more and more tired of being "safe" with things like clothing...getting over the consequences of taking more risks with my clothes and just having fun with it. I've dressed pretty conservatively my whole life...and while I still consider myself to be modest, I'm having fun with trying to play up the fun while still covering my assets... ;) What I love about the whole color analysis is that it helps to give boundaries to the whole process, which helps me tremendously...I like that bit of structure in the mix...

Have you decided on the green dress yet?

Kim...you are so complementary to me, I don't think I deserve it. But I thank you for it.

I'm entering a stage of life where I am getting more and more tired of being "safe" with things like clothing...getting over the consequences of taking more risks with my clothes and just having fun with it. I've dressed pretty conservatively my whole life...and while I still consider myself to be modest, I'm having fun with trying to play up the fun while still covering my assets... ;) What I love about the whole color analysis is that it helps to give boundaries to the whole process, which helps me tremendously...I like that bit of structure in the mix...

Have you decided on the green dress yet?

I'm still a "safe" dresser but, do go out on a limb once in a while, especially as I've gotten older.

I, too, like the boundaries that the seasonal colors give while still allowing lots of leeway in choices. I also like structure.

I got the green dress last night. I'm not sure though and need some opinions :) I'll take a picture tomorrow in the sunlight (it's supposed to be nice tomorrow) and see what you all think.

I'll also post a picture of a new top I found. I think it has Fire greens and blues and I "think" they're right on the money. We'll see tomorrow :eek:

When does your Mom get back? Have you heard from her lately?

OOO pictures! I look forward to seeing them!

I'd have to refer to the itenerary, but I think my parents get back home on Nov 16. They are still in the Atlantic...last I heard there was only a 6 hour time difference between us...I hear from her at least every other day through email.

Hey Everyone!

I have some time to work and post tonight, so I've been putting together some FAQs for my blog - but I thought I'd put them here as well - as it will help and answer a lot of the questions that have been going on here with the FIREs.;)

I'm going to split these into separate individual posts, as it will make it easier to refer back to later that way.

Okay? Here we go...

Edited by Curt Jerome Wild

Can I be more than one Element?

No. Some people may seem to be close to the cusp of two different Elements – but with proper testing and diagnosing, one Elemental Palette will become obviously a much better Color Palette than the other.

Some people will try to “force” themselves into the wrong palette, or into mixing two different palettes – but they are sabotaging themselves by doing this.

Each set of Color Cards is put together in a specific way, so that your entire wardrobe will automatically coordinate. All of your clothes will look well, and complement each other – and most importantly compliment your own natural skin, eye, and hair tone.

Your genetics determined your Elemental Color Palette before you were born – don’t fight the system.

Does my Color Palette change with or without a tan?

No. You are just a darker or lighter version of yourself with or without a tan. Your own personal Color Palette is the absolute best for you not matter what.

When you are extremely tan, then you can “get away with” the wrong colors better – but then you’re just fighting the whole system, and your entire wardrobe trying to do that.

And most importantly, to all of those people who insist that they “need a tan” in order to look good – if you need that tan in order to look good, then you are absolutely in the wrong, wrong, wrong, color palette.

When you are in your correct Elemental Palette, then you will look glowing and healthy at your most natural non-tan self!

Does my Element change with age, or when my hair turns gray?

No. You are the same Elemental Color Palette from a baby, through childhood, through your adult life. Your skin may lighten or darken, your hair may change several times throughout your lifetime – but you are still just a lighter or darker version of yourself.

You are still the same Fire, Ice, Earth, or Air at age 1 as you are at age 100!

Sometimes people think they don’t look good as they age, and that is because they aren’t sticking with their natural palette, or never started it in the first place.

You need to wear your proper Color Palette even more as you get older. It will make you look younger, healthier, and more vibrant.

Gray hair will pick up the proper tones and look brighter and more blended.

I do often suggest that people with naturally graying hair, to start wearing more of the lighter colors in their Color Palette.

Just as the darker makeup in your Element can start looking too harsh as your skin and hair lighten with age – you should be adjusting your makeup and your wardrobe to the lighter, softer colors as your main wardrobe choices. Use the darker or brighter colors as accents.

This color isn’t an exact match to my Color Cards, what do I do? This color looks close, but is lighter or darker than my Color Cards, what do I do?

It’s okay. Sometimes you will find a clothing item that matched exactly, other times it may be lighter or darker.

But you are just using your Color Palette as a “control system”. You will see when a fabric blends and harmonizes with the Tones on your cards. Does it look like a Happy Color Party? Then you are good to go.

When you place the fabric next to the cards, and you can see that it doesn’t blend with everything else – then it’s not good for you to add to your wardrobe.

You will see that they stand out like a sore thumb next to your Happy Color Party. That just means that you aren’t wasting your hard earned cash on an item that you’ll end up not wearing when you get home.

Keep a harmonizing eye on using those Cards as your “control system”, and only get those items that blend happily.

Here are some various blues:

FireBlueLightShirts.jpg

yellows:

FireIvoryShirts.jpg

and gold/browns:

FirePatternsShirts.jpg

That all make a Happy Fire Color Party with the Color Cards as a "control system".

Note that they can be lighter, or darker (note how much darker my brown shirt is...) - but they still blend and harmonize as a whole!

Look at my Fire Green shirts here:

SpringGreenShirtsLabel.jpg

none of them are an exact "perfect" match - but they all obviously blend, and harmonize between the Fire Greens on the Color Cards.