My review of Sapphire Beach & Paradise Point

mitsugirly

Sounds like some people who post nothing but POSITIVE about Sapphire and discount anything negative that anyone has to say....either have some kind of agenda....or maybe business interest in Sapphire going;) We all have difference of opinion...I get that....but there are some that just seem to defend this place to the death if you say anything that isn't completely positive......like I said....maybe personal interest:confused:

bajathree I'm assuming your comments are aimed at me and actually I take great pains to be honest on my views on Sapphire and other beaches on STT. In my last post I said Coki is my favorite and that Sapphire can be rough depending on sea conditions. So I'm confused about your "agenda" comments...:rolleyes:

Everyone is definitely entitled to their opinion, and I realize some folks will have different experiences than us. I'm sorry marci had concerns about one individual there and I hope she returns and has a better experience as Sapphire is a beautiful spot to enjoy when on the island. But your description of Sapphire as "sketch[y]" is just too funny. The Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina is a great place to stay, and the beach is one of the safest and most comfortable places we've stayed on or visited. Your comment just doesn't jive with what regular visitors (cruisers and renters) feel and I want to make that point.

Thanks!

Edited by blue_water
Typo

I know the difference between friendly and weird.

Ok Marci, from your original post I didn't feel that you knew what you thought, ergo my comment that you quoted. If you have kids with you and have a concern (major or otherwise) with someone working there you should confront the person or report that to security. Perhaps someone else will meet this guy and give us a hint as to whether he's a "freak" or not.

Ladybug you will find a wealth of information on cruisecritics sister site tripadvisor. The St Thomas forum is very active there. Just search using key words like Sapphire, coki, secret harbor, paradise point, etc and then sort by date and voila! Also a very knowledgeable base to ask questions of.

Enjoy your research!

• 2 months later...
St Thomas

Here are some picture I took while I was there. Enjoy!

http://kimbakerphotography.smugmug.com/Vacation/4th-day-St-Maarten-1/13875332_BZdcm#1017703050_nhpoV

What kind of camera did you use? I'm looking for a decent underwater camera.

Was this on the Epic? Looks like you stayed in a Studio - how crowded was it for 2 people?

I have a (actually two) Canon D10. I love it. It takes great outdoor pics, under water pics, night pics and even fireworks. They have an updated version out now (Canon D20). I paid about $400 for my first D10 when I got it about 3 years ago. Now since the D20 came out, the D10 has drastically reduced in price. That's why I bought another one back in January for around $200. They may even be cheaper now. I can show you a link to other pictures I've taken with it for like fireworks if you are interested in getting one.

Yes, this was on the Epic. We actually had 2 studios that connected for us. I felt that 1 was plenty, but we got such a great deal on the rooms back then that we booked 2. The way they have them laid out and all of the storage room, it was amazing and very efficient. I wouldn't hesitate to book another with the 3 of us if they would allow it (me, the hubby and our 4 year old.)

• 2 weeks later...

You can't know how much you help people with reviews ... I am spending the morning at Sapphire Beach in two weeks. Haven't been there in 20 years ... the memory of Sapphire has never left me. Reading your excellent trip report made me so happy that things are still great there. Docking at St Thomas can't come soon enough! Thanks for taking the time to share this information.

You can't know how much you help people with reviews ... I am spending the morning at Sapphire Beach in two weeks. Haven't been there in 20 years ... the memory of Sapphire has never left me. Reading your excellent trip report made me so happy that things are still great there. Docking at St Thomas can't come soon enough! Thanks for taking the time to share this information.

We look forward to reading your review when you come back!! Have Fun!!

Aww thank you so much. I hope you have a WONDERFUL trip back there.

We look forward to reading your review when you come back!! Have Fun!!

Yes, please do come back and let us know what you think. It will be interesting to know just how much it has changed over the last 20 years. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just returned from an eastern cruise with a stop at STT on 5 Dec. Our plan was a quick taxi out to Sapphire and a stop at Paradise Point on return to the ship. I must say we executed this plan with precision. There were 5 ships in port that day (we were #3 at 10AM) and we were on the beach by 11AM and snorkling by 11:01! It was not at all crowded or busy and we easily found shaded space under a tree very near the rental shop and washrooms. It was quite a windy day so the surf was up which made visibility poor. We were not able to get near the outer edges of the beach (left or right) to snorkle either. We were a little disappointed about this for snorkling but the swimming was still fantastic. Ordered lunch from a girl from Banana Cabana. The burgers were delicious. The first beer was ice cold but the second and third were progressively warmer as it was a wonderfully hot day. We headed back to see Paradise Point at about 2:30. I'm glad we did because others from the ship left later and almost didn't make it due to traffic getting back into the dock area. The view at Paradise Point was breathtaking. My camera battery also died up top but not before I got a stunning panorama of the harbour. All told, a VERY successful (self) excursion.

That's a perfect day onSTT for us, thanks! We'll be staying at Sapphire again for a week in January (giving my wife a break from the beauty of the BVI!) and look forward to it. Love PP for the view and cocktails with the band.

STT is very close to my favorite island by ferry so I can enjoy the best of both worlds from the East End of STT and my wife loves the beautiful condos we rent at Sapphire so it's a win-win!

Edited by blue_water

• 4 weeks later...

I've looked at the sapphireinthesun webcam the last two days (not a big sample size I realize) and there were almost no people ever in the picture...just a handful of sun bathers or no one.

Is this webcam away from the more "public" location with the rental chairs, etc.?

We don't want a crowd, but this is almost too empty to feel safe. Beautiful though!

Thanks! Headed there next week!

No the najority of people are off to the left of the dive center. Not as crowded as Magens or Coki but some days it does see more ppl. But Sapphire is one of the safest beaches in the Caribbean as it's lined by 3 condo resorts and they have excellent security.

Just to add to this, the condo resort (which is where the web cam is located) is actually where the taxi's drop you off in the turn around (and pick you up). We felt extremely safe, even when leaving our things up at the beach under the grape trees. There is plenty of shade there. We didn't even rent any chairs. So unless you are someone who HAS to have a chair to sit in vs just laying a towel out, it's really not required. :)

Sapphire Beach is not nice at all, I would head to Magen's or Coki instead, especially next week (we're staying in the Sapphire Resort and we don't want to share Sapphire!) :p;):D

Just kiddin of course!

Edited by blue_water

Sapphire Beach is not nice at all, I would head to Magen's or Coki instead, especially next week (we're staying in the Sapphire Resort and we don't want to share Sapphire!) :p;):D

Just kiddin of course!

Wishes CC had a "like" button. I'll settle for the :D instead.

Wishes CC had a "like" button. I'll settle for the :D instead.

Mitsugirly,

If there were a like button I would pound it for my fellow Buckeye!:D:D:D I am certain I never thanked you enough for writing this review which encouraged me to go to Sapphire. It got me to buy my own snorkle gear and underwater camera. It was better than any snorkling excursions I have ever paid for. My wife had no desire to snorkle but loved laying on the beautiful beach where she felt very safe and secure.

Now that we are heading to Cozumel in a couple of weeks I plan on heading to Chankanaab based upon your review there.

Thanks for taking your time to provide these reviews:D

is secret harbor beach different from lindquist beach, or are they the same?

Some reviews I have read indicate these are fantastic beaches on St Thomas as well.

Thanks.

Secret Harbor (SH) is a beach on the East End between Bolongo Bay and Red Hook, there is a condo resort there (similar to Sapphire Beach which has 3 condo resorts). SH has a restaurant and a dive center and is a pretty calm bay.

Lindquist (Smith Bay) is another East End beach between Sapphire and Coki. Lindquist is a more natural and quiet bay because there are limited facilities/amenities there, although I'm hearing there are chair rentals there now. Lindquist is maintained by the same org that maintains Magens and there is a $3 or 4 entrance fee.

The other popular East End beaches are Sapphire and Coki.

We've looked at condo properties on both Sapphire and SH and we're partial to Sapphire because of the beach, water, island views and proximity to the Sapphire marina and Red Hook. But many prefer SH as well. Coki is also very nice but can get a bit crowded because it's such a small, intimate bay. For the quietest beach with natural beauty it's Lindquist hands down.

It's posted somewhere in this thread the cost when I went, but it may have went up by now so someone else can chime in on that one.

When I went, they had taxi's that came to the turn around every 15 minutes. No need to make arrangements for someone for a certain time. :)