My review of Sapphire Beach & Paradise Point

mitsugirly

Here's a few pictures to help you out with location.

The first is the location of the port and you will see across from it is the tram entrance. It goes up the mountain, which you will see in the picture and the winding part is the road by taxi.

Paradise%20Point-L.jpg

Here's an island map I made to show location:

st%20thomas-L.jpg

Oh my, there are so many postings, and I don't have time to read them, but hopefully someone will be able to answer these questions.

We will be docking in Heavensight in St. Thomas. The good part, it is less then 2 months before we will be there.

OK, to get to Paradise Point, we can either take the tram, once we get off the ship or a Taxi, is that correct? Guess I'll check on either of their prices, unless someone on here has been there lately by tram or Taxi, and can tell me the prices?

It was mentioned, if I'm correct, there is Bailey's Bushwacker, and Birdlady show. I gather these are at the top (I assume Paradise Point is at the top of the mountain???) to see. Do they charge, or is that part of the ticket price to PP?

Do you take the tram or Taxi to Sapphire Beach? I gather that PP is AT Sapphire Beach, right?

I'm trying to make notes for myself before we get there.

Mitsugirly answered your questions quite well. Yes Paradise Point is up a steep hill across the street from the cruise dock and overlooks the harbor. Very nice views and a cafe and music. You can take a taxi from the cruise dock up to Paradise Point, I'm guessing the price would be $4pp. The tram station is a 10 - 15 min walk from the ship and you can usually buy refundable tram passes at the ship excursions desk for $18 = $2-pp roundtrip. Yes the Bailey's Bushwacker is their drink, and the BirdLady is now back up there and her birds put on a fun show every so often. When we were there she asked for donations only but that may have changed.

Taxi to Sapphire or the other East End beaches is $10pp each way.

A nice day is spending time at the beach, returning to the ship to get cleaned up if time allows, and then hitting PP before sailing. You could have the taxi driver drop you at the top and just take the tram down (one way, no pre-purchased tram passes that way).

Mitsugirly, thanks for getting back with me, or anyone else in regard to St. Thomas.

Now I know where we can get the tram to take us to Paradise Point, and that we have to get a Taxi to take us to Sapphire.

I understand Sapphire is beautiful, but if we DON'T snorkle. Should we go to another beach (thanks for the pictures) like Coki, or just do Sapphire, as both of them are FREE?

Mitsugirly, thanks for getting back with me, or anyone else in regard to St. Thomas.

Now I know where we can get the tram to take us to Paradise Point, and that we have to get a Taxi to take us to Sapphire.

I understand Sapphire is beautiful, but if we DON'T snorkle. Should we go to another beach (thanks for the pictures) like Coki, or just do Sapphire, as both of them are FREE?

Just my opinion, but even if you don't snorkel, Sapphire is beautiful. I wouldn't pick Coki if you had no intention on snorkeling.

IMG_1709-L.jpg

IMG_1710-L.jpg

IMG_2012-L.jpg

IMG_2015-L.jpg

There's plenty of natural shade up and down the beach. They have grape trees.

IMG_1875-L.jpg

OK, I believe I have my answer. We will go to Sapphire, even though we don't snorkle. The pictures are beautiful, and I love, love, love the sand. Any time you live in "Missouri" in the winter time, I call in "Misory," we are ready for the Caribbean.:)

I love, love, love the sand. Any time you live in "Missouri" in the winter time, I call in "Misory," we are ready for the Caribbean.:)

Leave that white stuff behind for the white sand there. We just returned from spending a week on Sapphire and we'll be envious! :p It was a bit warmer there too (-30 here!) :rolleyes:

Having read some of the posts and seeing the pictures I am totally convinced that we must go to Sapphire beach when we stop at St. Thomas on our cruise next month. We were considering the ship excursion for snorkeling, but this looks and sounds much better.

Thank you to everyone on the thread who has generously shared their experience. Can't wait to escape the great white north and the coldest winter in ages!

Blu water would it be possible go to sapphire for 2 hours then to Coki for 2 hours and still get back to ship on time. Port time 12-7. I imagine all aboard time is 6 just not sure how long the taxi ride is and how much that would cost. I would love to hire a driver to just take us for the day.

I did look at a tour that take us to three beaches snorkel a hour each. But that was 109.00 each and there are 6 of us. I think we can do better on our own.

One more questions. Anyone see turtles ?

Blu water would it be possible go to sapphire for 2 hours then to Coki for 2 hours and still get back to ship on time. Port time 12-7. I imagine all aboard time is 6 just not sure how long the taxi ride is and how much that would cost. I would love to hire a driver to just take us for the day.

I did look at a tour that take us to three beaches snorkel a hour each. But that was 109.00 each and there are 6 of us. I think we can do better on our own.

One more questions. Anyone see turtles ?

First of all contact Stanley Coram by phone to see if he is available that day for a private tour (specify private). If so he can drop you at different spots and wait for you, his rates for a 4 - 5 hr tour are reasonable at $35 - 40pp - (340)690-4544.

If not available you could taxi to Coki then to Sapphire, they're 10 min apart and probably another $5 each to go from Coki to Sapphire. Taxi from port to Coki and from Sapphire to port is $10 - 11pp each way...so you're looking at $25 - 26pp for taxis...

i was thinking sapphire first than coki. What kind of vehicle does he drive. Van, car or cute safari open. That sounds like a plan to call him.

We (2 couples) were in a van several years ago, not sure what he's driving now.

He also works at the Secret Harbour Resort and likes to drop folks off there too. You could do Sapphire then Coki, these are all on the East End

We went down on a cruise last year and the water was so rough , it was March. So we didn't get to snorkel or swim. Since it was so beautiful I have been saving for a family vacation for a week at beautiful Sapphire Beach! The C condo right on the water/beach. Sapphire Beach Resort.

Has anyone stayed there before? Just wondering what tips you may have, should I pay to rent a car? Will we be able to swim out at C unit or are there too many ( corals) ? food places? We will be traveling with our 11, 18, and 16 year old. Cant wait!!!!

We rent from an owner who rents 3 units in bldgs A and D and our favorite is in D because it's away from the main swimming area that is busier, and the views aren't obstructed by trees as much there. But bldg C is also a great spot, you can't swim right in fromt of the bldg but it's a short walk to the swimming area. You're also close to the nice 2-tiered pool in C.

Yes you'll definitely want to rent a car, we always rent through Budget at the airport for the best price and have never had a problem. You only need a compact or whatever you want to pay for, no need for a 4 x 4 as the roads are great. Just remember to drive with your shoulder to the shoulder!

There are 3 options for food and drink within walking distance -

Off The Grid is a food truck up the hill at the entrance, google their f page.

Sapphire Village is the condo property on the hill overlooking the marina and there is a small restaurant/bar and store there.

Banana Cabana is a beach grill between condo bldgs B & C and they have beer, drinks, and sandwiches. Their mahi mahi sandwich is $14 but soo worth it.

Red Hook is a 3 minute drive away with several great bars and restaurants as well as the ferry to St John and to the BVI. Moe's Market in Red Hook is a great new store that carries a lot of what you may need. Food Center just outside town is a bigger supermarket and a little cheaper.

Dive In is the dive center that rents everything, usually the condo owner provides snorkel gear and you can get lounges free while staying there.

Are you on a ground floor unit or higher?

Enjoy! :)

I was going to rent a condo in A or D but thought A may get to crowed and D wouldn't be centrally located. Hope we don't have to walk out to far. If we visit St. John by Ferry, how do we get around there? I suppose if we rent a car we should drive? Or is it walking distance to the beach and stuff? Also, since your familiar if we did a boat tour like to the BVI do we need a passport if we just stay on boat and snorkel? Any good tours you recommend? Thanks again for your quick response;)))

I was going to rent a condo in A or D but thought A may get to crowed and D wouldn't be centrally located. Hope we don't have to walk out to far. If we visit St. John by Ferry, how do we get around there? I suppose if we rent a car we should drive? Or is it walking distance to the beach and stuff? Also, since your familiar if we did a boat tour like to the BVI do we need a passport if we just stay on boat and snorkel? Any good tours you recommend? Thanks again for your quick response;)))

The most important thing is that you rent through an owner via VRBO or HomeAway. Never rent through the resort because you don't know the condition of the condo. Do you already have a contact?

Also if on 1st floor you have a patio and direct access to the beach. Higher floors you have a balcony, a nicer view, no sand fleas and more privacy and can leave the door open but you have to walk from around the bldg to access the beach.

The sandy swimming area extends from the dive center over to bldg B if I remember but no worries, you're close.

If you rent from Budget you can take your rental car on the car barge for $50 all in. Otherwise you'll have to taxi to a beach.

Yes to the passport, if you have passports I can give recommendations. Otherwise look at New Horizons which departs Sapphire marina and moors off STJ and Great St James for lunch and snorkeling.

You'll get more help if you post on tripadvisor, this thread is very long and hard to use anymore...

Edited by blue_water