Need advice on what to do near Civitavecchia

DJ95

We are on b2b Barcelona to Venice, with Rome being the middle. After a very busy first 9 days, I think we will need a break. As we have been to Rome before and it is a distance from the port, we have decided we have to skip it this trip. Not that we wouldn't love to go back. Is there something easy and interesting to do near by the port. Anything not too strenous would be great. Thanks.

We are on b2b Barcelona to Venice, with Rome being the middle. After a very busy first 9 days, I think we will need a break. As we have been to Rome before and it is a distance from the port, we have decided we have to skip it this trip. Not that we wouldn't love to go back. Is there something easy and interesting to do near by the port. Anything not too strenous would be great. Thanks.

Tarquinia and the Necropoli Etruscana in Tarquinia, Necropoli Etruscana di Cerveterre, Terme de Traiano (Trajun's Baths). All nearby, some date back to 700BC. Rent a car with GPS or hire a driver. Forgot Bagno de Cervi.

Tarquinia and the Necropoli Etruscana in Tarquinia, Necropoli Etruscana di Cerveterre, Terme de Traiano (Trajun's Baths). All nearby, some date back to 700BC. Rent a car with GPS or hire a driver. Forgot Bagno de Cervi.

How far are these spots from C? How long would you say is the travel time? Could we pick up taxi at port to take us? How much should a taxi cost approximately?

Is there public transit that would take us there easily?

Thanks for the info-we have been to Rome several times and want to spend the time in the C area.

Avril

There is also Ostia Antica, if you have not yet been there (http://www.ostia-antica.org/).

if you'd prefer to stay even closer to "home", there are some walking tours of Civitavecchia described on this site: http://www.civitavecchia.net/index.php?cmd=itiner (if you click on the items you will find descriptions in English)

I've done the nearby areas that were mantioned and they are nice but if you just want to enjoy a restful day to get a break from touring just stay at Civitavecchia. We've been there several times on various cruises, including a back to back siimilar to the one you mentioned and also on a few world cruises including one this year. It was this last time around that we just spent the day in town.

We walked all around and learned that the town has a lot more to it then we thought. When you walk out of the gate exiting the port towards your left and at a higher elevation is a very nice Catholic Church. About a ten minute walk from the entrance is a a large outddor market and we really enjoyed walking around there and admiring fruits, vegetables, meat, seafood, cheeses, breads and desserts. They also have another area adjacent to it that sells other items such as clothing and shoes. The town has a lot of stores, restaurants, cafes and it was just nice to walk up and down the streets. We walked by the beach area and over to the train station and it was a wonderful day. I think on these port intensive Mediterranean cruises it is nice to plan a nice leisurely day to recharge your batteries and this is a great port to do that. If this was me, I would spend the day there and just relax.

Keith

How far are these spots from C? How long would you say is the travel time? Could we pick up taxi at port to take us? How much should a taxi cost approximately?

Is there public transit that would take us there easily?

Thanks for the info-we have been to Rome several times and want to spend the time in the C area.

Avril

Tarquinia is about 25 minutes by bus. Easy to do - see www.ftroute.com/tarquinia.cfm for details. Terme de Traiano is only aboyt 10 kilometers away. Don't know about public transport. The others are 35-40 kilometers away.

I've been given this advice by a well-travelled cruiser for the next time we have a stop in Civi:

Take the Rome train , and get off at the first stop, which is Santa Marinella. It costs approx. e2, and is a little port village, close to Civi.

Jo.

Keith - we will be on the Celebrity - Equinox next July. How far is the port (Civitavecchia) from the airport? Someone told me it's about two hours away? My family and I are planning to do a pre-cruise in Rome and maybe plan to be in Civitavecchia the day/night before the ship sails.

Any suggestions on the best way to go to Civitavecchia? Any recommendations on a place to stay for the evening?

Thanks.

Carol

I've done the nearby areas that were mantioned and they are nice but if you just want to enjoy a restful day to get a break from touring just stay at Civitavecchia. We've been there several times on various cruises, including a back to back siimilar to the one you mentioned and also on a few world cruises including one this year. It was this last time around that we just spent the day in town.

We walked all around and learned that the town has a lot more to it then we thought. When you walk out of the gate exiting the port towards your left and at a higher elevation is a very nice Catholic Church. About a ten minute walk from the entrance is a a large outddor market and we really enjoyed walking around there and admiring fruits, vegetables, meat, seafood, cheeses, breads and desserts. They also have another area adjacent to it that sells other items such as clothing and shoes. The town has a lot of stores, restaurants, cafes and it was just nice to walk up and down the streets. We walked by the beach area and over to the train station and it was a wonderful day. I think on these port intensive Mediterranean cruises it is nice to plan a nice leisurely day to recharge your batteries and this is a great port to do that. If this was me, I would spend the day there and just relax.

Keith

Keith - we will be on the Celebrity - Equinox next July. How far is the port (Civitavecchia) from the airport? Someone told me it's about two hours away? My family and I are planning to do a pre-cruise in Rome and maybe plan to be in Civitavecchia the day/night before the ship sails.

Any suggestions on the best way to go to Civitavecchia? Any recommendations on a place to stay for the evening?

Thanks.

Carol

Going to jump in here.

The most economical way to Civitavecchia is by train. We would be doing that this Friday but there is a national train strike that day. We have rented a car. Going to stop at Necropoli Etrusca de Cervetere (etruscan tombs dating back to 700BC) enroute. Saying at Hotel Miramare (been there before). Lovely boutique hotel on the seaside that is an easy 10-15 minute walk to the port entrance. Also located almost directly across the street from the railroad station.

Thanks.

Carol

Carol,

The drive from the city to the port is approximately 90 minutes. The precise time will vary by time of day.

The most economical way is by train as someone else suggested but if you have a good amount of luggage I would go with a private car. If you need a suggetion on a private car company let me know.

Here's a link to trip advisor that will give you some suggestions on hotels at this port of call.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g194743-Civitavecchia_Lazio-Hotels.html

Keith

Carol,

The drive from the city to the port is approximately 90 minutes. The precise time will vary by time of day.

The most economical way is by train as someone else suggested but if you have a good amount of luggage I would go with a private car. If you need a suggetion on a private car company let me know.

Here's a link to trip advisor that will give you some suggestions on hotels at this port of call.

Hi Keith

which company do you recommend? We're getting prices of 90 to 130 euros to get from Civitavecchia to Rome! 90 euros was from "airportshuttle.it/rates.htm.

Thanks alot

dianana ,sailing on Oceania Nautica in 1 week + 2 days. YAY!!

Carol,

Keith[/quote

We are 4 senior with no luggage but need a private car because taken a train is a little to much for one of us. So if you can give us names for private tours it would be appreciated. We will be on a crusie an spending only one day at Civitavecchia.

Thanks everyone for the great info, I knew this is the place to get the best advice. As he is a far more experienced cruiser, I think I'm going to use Keith's advice as "permission" to have a more realxing day and stay right at the port. I've also made note of everyone else's info on close by sights in case I have more energy than I think I will have. The history of the area is almost overwhelming. Thanks again.

Keith

A meandering day sounds good! We are on a 24 day cruise with only 2 sea days!!! A quieter day in C sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the info.

Avril

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
... just stay at Civitavecchia. ...

My ship will be docked in Civitavecchia on a Sunday on October 23rd. While I would like to do as suggested and just stay in Civitavecchia, I am concerned that everything will be closed. Any ideas?

Are there Taxi's available at the port entrance to hire for 3-4 hours to just drive around the local country side. Maybe to a local village/beach? Does anyone have the Taxi Company/local tour company name that I could contact.

Have been to Rome before and will be happy staying around the port area.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Here are three different taxi companies in Civitavecchia: (information from this site: http://www.cittadicivitavecchia.it/trasporti.asp)

Recapiti Taxi Civitavecchia

Chiamata Taxi Comune

Piazzale Pincio, 2, Civitavecchia (RM) - 0766 24251

Taxi Chiamata

Piazza Matteotti, 00058 Santa Marinella (RM) - 0766 538095

Soc.Coop. Planet Taxi A Rl

Via Graziano Luciano, 2, Civitavecchia (RM) - 0766 501900

My ship will be docked in Civitavecchia on a Sunday on October 23rd. While I would like to do as suggested and just stay in Civitavecchia, I am concerned that everything will be closed. Any ideas?

FYI: The following info is from research, meaning I have not eaten there:

For folks that are staying around Civitavecchia rather than going to Rome: A highly rated mon & pop restaurant near the cruise ship at Civitavecchia:

• Trattoria L'Angoletto Di Fabrizio Ciccaglioni, Via Alberto Guglielmotti, 2, 00053 Civitavecchia Rome, Italy +39 32 825 0766
  • Ratings: BMW: 7 (2) Slow Food 2002: 8 (0) Veronelli 2002: 8 (78) Espresso 2002: 6.5 (12.5) Prawn 2002: 7.5 (69) Michelin 2002: 8 (2)
  • Price range: 30.00 to 40.00 € (without drinks). Reservations required.
  • Lat/Lon: 42.092209, 11.792208

The only day listed as closed is Monday's lunch – but probably worth calling them before making plans.

Another useful for anyone skipping Rome and staying Civitavecchia:

http://www.civitavecchia.net/index.php?cmd=itiner

Archived