Best Cruise Ever. PERIOD.

Vacationv

My wife & I have cruised extensively, mostly on mass market brands like Celebrity, Holland America, Princess, NCL & RCL. On September 4, 2010, we embarked on a two week cruise experience on the Paul Gauguin and now for us, cruising will never be the same. Our itinerary included both the Marquesas and Society Islands. No more big ships- no more same old- same old for us. Yes, our bank account may still be feeling the sting as we enjoy the “after- glow” of a five star cruise experience, but some things in life are worth truly worth the extra dollars. We only go around once and we are true believers in occasionally spoiling ourselves. Here are just some of the reasons we will likely never go back to the mega ships again:

· - Only 260 passengers for 14 days: No problem finding pool chairs and no waiting for anything. Embarkation in Papeete took seconds, not hours!

· A small but highly practical ship- no glitz but very passenger friendly & functional. We experienced 14 foot swells on several days but we felt like we were on a ship three times her size. Great stabilizers and beautiful and spacious cabins. I highly recommend a regimen of Bonnie, Ginger capsules and the pressure point wrist bands for any concerns about motion sickness. It worked well for us.

· - EVERY MEAL was INCREDIBLE. I’m a very picky eater and not usually impressed by gourmet fare, but the chefs on the Paul Gauguin know how to make guests ecstatic over the thought of each dining opportunity. We were pleased with truly remarkable meals, including a nice inclusion of Asian fare mixed in almost nightly. No real need for the specialty dining experiences as the main dining room is special within itself. The food on Paul Gauguin is truly one of the defining differences from other cruise lines. It was truly “memorable”.

· - No need to wear formal wear or sports jackets. It’s country club casual every evening which makes total sense as we were cruising in one of the most casual and laid back regions of the world- French Polynesia. We sailed below the equator, an area not known for tuxes and ties- thank Goodness! Best of all, each evening was open dining in the Main Dining Room so we could eat anytime between 7-9PM. LOVED IT!

· The all inclusive concept at sea is simply brilliant! Forget the usual nickel constantly signing bar tabs for drinks by the pool or wine or cola with meals. No tips and no hassles. No cash or credit cards needed.

· - While the mega ships are focusing on becoming destination of their own, Paul Gauguin is simply a first class means of getting to some of the most drop dead gorgeous scenery anywhere in the world. With lovely people on each island and outstanding tender service in each port, excursions, while a bit expensive, are all memorable and many times downright “life changing”. Experiences included petting Rays in the wild, snorkeling with over a dozen Black Fin sharks and watching a mother Humpback whale and her baby from only a few yards away. These are images that will stay with us forever.

· We are in our mid fifties and while most of our fellow passengers were a generation older, they were clearly an upscale and highly educated demographic who we enjoyed mingling with. We made new friendships which will likely last well into the future. It is so much easier to get to know fellow travelers when there are less than 300 passengers on board.

· The nightly shows were targeted for an older demographic than ours. We would have enjoyed some entertainment aimed for a younger crowd that appreciated Crosby Stills & Nash rather than Frank Sinatra and Broadway. Guest lecturers on the other hand were informative and enjoyable. We were so tired and full from exceptional food and invigorating excursions that we almost always turned in early. Thank goodness for the gym that had an ample number of treadmills and cross trainers to combat the high calorie intake that fine food inevitably produces. I actually managed to maintain my pre-cruise weight thanks to a strict walking regimen on the ship’s treadmills.

· - Another key difference from more mainstream ships is how the crew strives to make passengers happy. No special request goes unfulfilled. For instance, I mentioned to the chef how much I enjoyed the cold vichyssoise at dinner. The next day he had a special order of the remarkable soup waiting for me at lunch. Mention to a waiter how much you enjoyed a particular dish and you will likely find the recipe sent to your cabin the next morning. FRESH food is purchased at each island so the chefs are always preparing surprises based on local specialties. While on the subject of crew, we could tell the mostly Philippine crew is well compensated and truly enjoy their jobs. They smiled, laughed and spoke of their longevity with the ship. This speaks volumes.

On numerous occasions, random crew members addressed us by our last names, a courtesy more prevalent at a Ritz Carlton property than on a cruise ship. Such a refreshing change!

- We made sure we spent several days in Papeete prior to sailing to help us adjust to jet lag and get acclimated to the climate and surroundings. We also booked one hotel day after disembarking in Tahiti which gave one final “chill day” before making the long trek back home to Tennessee.

We would sail Paul Gauguin again in a heartbeat. I hope the relatively new owners of the cruise line consider adding another small ship to their fleet so returning passengers can experience even more beautiful places. From the talk we overheard, many passengers on our sailing were repeat customers. Now we know why.

You have summed up our feelings about the ship in a nutshell. We have sailed on her twice and will be going again in 2012 for our 5th anniversary. The first trip my wife ever took with me was on the PG.

We are sailing on Princess mostly now because there are destinations we want to visit in Europe and South America.

That being said, if a great offer comes along, we go on the PG in a heartbeat!

Thank you both! We are booked on Society Islands and Tutumous Feb. 9 2011, and reviews like both of yours really help us know we have made the right decision, on this trip. We still plan to drift snorkel Rangirora but may try to find more "quality time with the sealife" type snorkeling for other ports.

Coral Princesss Panama Canal 2005

QM2 NY to LA 2006

QE2 SF to Sydney 2007

Queen Victoria Feastive Canary Island 2007-8

La Diamant Antartica 2008

Vantage River Odessey Budpest to Amsterdam 2008

Louis Cruise Line Greek Islands and Ephesus 2009

up coming

QE Western Med Cruise Oct. 2010

Paul Gauguin Feb. 2011

We are going on this itinerary in April 2011. Can't wait and these reviews make me even more excited to go. Can someone tell me the name of the ports that Paul Gauguin docks/tenders at for stops at Fakarava, Huahine and Moorea? I have not been able to find this anywhere and need to know this for excursion and tour planning? Thanks.

Vacationv - I’m so happy to read your review! Not only is it very recent, but it’s also for the exact 14-day itinerary that we booked on PG for next year. Your review is yet another confirmation that PG is the right choice for our first visit to FP.

May I ask a few questions: Where did you stay pre-cruise & post-cruise? Did you book flights/hotel directly or thru PG? Was Mark Eddowes aboard? Any excursions or activities that you especially recommend? Anything that you’d do differently next time?

Thanks so much for your comments.

Unless I am missing something here, the PG website shows the itinerary and ports but does not list the ports in Fakarava, Huahine and Moorea. Can someone help me with this?

That's because there are no ports, the ship is anchored and you tender in.

The only one I can specifically speak to is Moorea. The ship is usually anchored in Cook's Bay, but sometimes in Opanohu Bay instead. Near each other.

I share your excitement, even after 42 days on this ship.

May I ask a few questions: Where did you stay pre-cruise & post-cruise? Did you book flights/hotel directly or thru PG? Was Mark Eddowes aboard? Any excursions or activities that you especially recommend? Anything that you’d do differently next time?

Thanks so much for your comments.

We booked our air through the American Express Platinum Card program which offers TWO FOR ONE on Business and First Class. We flew business on Air France r/t. I paid full fare and my wife paid only taxes. A very good deal in deed.

Our flight arrived from LAX to Papeete at 4:30 Friday morning so I booked both Thursday and Friday at the Le Meridian Hotel and boarded the ship at 3 on Saturday. We had to pay for Thursday night if we wanted to go straight to our room OR we would have had to waited around until after noon on Friday for check in time. I used my Starwood Card for a free upgrade and we had a very nice renovated room with a Lagoon view. I also heard the Intercontinental was very nice and much closer the airport.

Be prepared to pay DOUBLE for taxi fare if you arrive or depart before 7AM or after dark. Very strange fare structure in Papeete as they charge double for driving in the dark. I think we paid about $190 for the room which is MUCH cheaper than buying the pre and post program through the cruise line. Only difference is the cruise line includes transfers and I believe breakfast as well. Be prepared for a $70 cab ride from the airport to the Le Meridian if it is dark out. Also, food is incredibly expensive at all hotels. We paid about $50.00 for two sandwiches and soft drinks at the hotel.

I highly recommend getting a SKYPE subscription for your laptop or to use on the hotel or ship's computers. We were able to call home to TN for about .21 cents per minute. NEVER TURN ON YOUR CELL PHONE unless you have a special voice and data plan. I have heard stories of people traveling outside the USA with phone bills of over $700 just for the data on their I-phones. OUCH!

And yes- Mark was on board. Very good lectures and excursions with Mark.

The only thing I would do different next time is pack less clothes. We both bought tee-shirts and other clothes while in the region and ended up having to buy an extra bag to bring home our purchases. Prices are MUCH CHEAPER in Papeete, so I recommend waiting until the end of your cruise to shop in the public market when you arrive back in Papeete.

Have fun. We loved the trip.

PS: Forgot to mention that we took an extra two days and stayed at the Hilton at Universal in Hollywood- we went to see the Tonight Show with PS: Forgot to mention that we took an extra two days and stayed at the Hilton at Universal in Hollywood- we went to see the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Dr. Phil and America;s Got Talent. ALL FREE TICKETS and fairly easy to get. Just Google TV show tickets for LA and you can get hooked up with free websites that will help you secure tickets. It was a blast.

One of the advantages of using the cruise line's air is that all the transfers and day use is included in the fare. We (we don't have any special charge cards) found that by trying to package it ourselves it cost us more money and was more burdensome. We went with the cruise line. Each couple has to do what works for them.

On our 1st trip to Tahiti we stayed over after the cruise and found that the Intercontinental Hotel was within walking distance of a supermarket that made wonderful sandwiches. We stocked up with sandwiches, drinks and other treats and enjoyed being with the locals.

Thanks for this informative review. How does PG compare to Seabourn or Silver Sea? From this review, they sound quite similar to one another on board.

The PG is much more informal. I have sailed on both of the other lines. BTW, The maitre d' Micke, used to be on Silverseas, I think.

Archived