Accident aboard Volendam

mikewrit

Pretty good YouTube video of the USCG at work medevac'ing a patient from Ryndam in Alaska nin June of this year

The primary voice you hear on the video is of the helicopter crew chief/hoist operator who, while hanging out the door, is relaying information (distance, position, directions, etc.) to the pilot flying the helicopter, who can't see what's happening below his aircraft and relies on that type of info.

The first thing that happens is the helo's Rescue-Swimmer (identified as "swimmer" by the hoist operator on the audio) getting lowered to Ryndam's bow via hoist cable. You don't see it on the video but the next thing lowered to the ship's bow is the litter/stokes basket. Once he receives the litter or basket, the Rescue Swimmer prepares the patient (he/she is put in the litter) and the litter with patient inside (identified as "survivor") is then hoisted up into the helo. Lastly, the Rescue Swimmer hooks up the ship's doctor (could be a ship's nurse) onto the sling/harness that he's also attached to, and both are then hoisted into the helo (the doctor/nurse is basically 'hanging' in front of the Rescue Swimmer's chest and body).

• 4 weeks later...

We were on board the Volendam September 15th to October 22nd.

On Friday 24th September (the day after leaving Seattle) at approximately 2pm Captain Visser announced that there was a medical emergency ,and requested everyone to remain seated while the ship was turned around to head towards Astoria to meet a helicopter for an emergency evacuation. The helicopter arrived at approx 6.20pm (we were at early dinner) we had a few glimpses of the helicopter hovering. It was nearer 7pm when it departed.

The ship was unable to make up the detour time, so on the 27th, Captain Visser announced that the visit to the port of Lahaina was cancelled, that we would proceed to Nawiliwili for an overnight stop. He also reported that the patient was doing well.

My Dad was taken off the ship by helicopter after a serious heart attack. It was quite something. They wouldn't allow my Mom on the helicopter with him and I thought she was going to end up another victim she was so upset. Everything ended up alright although there were more than a few anxious moments.

How did you poor mother get to him? Did she have to wait for the ship to dock? I can imagine how it felt to see him fly away.

Archived