Accident aboard Volendam

mikewrit

The Coast Guard reported today that it had airlifted an injured male passenger off the Volendam 100 miles offshore Astoria, Ore. Apart from a note that he had suffered injuries ina fall in his cabin, few other details were released.

Our prayers for him and his family. This happened on our Oosterdam cruise last November. It was quite a thing to watch the helicopter rescue - most impressive job done by the pilot and our wonderful captain.

PS: Why do you have the "Mad" icon denoting your post? Perhaps you meant to use the "Sad" one- which is the purple frownie face. The red frownie face means you are mad! ;)

Our very first cruise we had an individual that suffered a heart attack and the Coast Guard did a helicopter evacuation of the patient. While we prayed for the recovery and safety of the passenger and his family, it was an amazing experience to see the Coast Guard in action. We also appreciated the patient and their family for allowing all on board to be advised of the condition. The passenger survived.

Same thing happend when I was on RCL Legend of the Seas in 2005 The Coast Guard did a helicopter evacuation of the patient. The Captain made a short anouncement and within minutes the helicopter arrived and then left. It was handled very well and wow talk about fast :eek:

I've been on 8 cruises so far and it seems like there's been an accident on each one of them. In fact, the first one was my dad almost drowning on an excursion. But a helicopter couldn't go the distance, so we were put on a tug boat to Grand Bahama where a medivac jet picked us up and took us to a hospital by FLL. Quite an experience, but he pulled through that ok. On our last Alaskan cruise, we were held at Marjorie Glacier until the helicopter did the evac. Don't know what happened, but they sure picked a beautiful spot for the evac.

We had a lady evacuated by boat off the coast of South America one time, and the most touching thing about it was the tender care the nurse from the ship took of her. We all knew she had had a heart attack the day before, and we would be diverting to get close enough to the coast to evacuate her. The nurse/Dr. on board took care of her and stabilized her, but when she was offloaded, the nurse reached out, smoothed her hair back off her face and kissed her goodbye. It was very sweet, and spoke to the care she had received while on board. We later heard she was doing well.

There was an incident on-board the Westerdam in October 2009 just before arrival at Half Moon Cay. If I had not been such an early riser (and our cabin not been on the starboard side of the ship) I would never have known that anything had happened. Kudos to the staff of the Westerdam and the shore staff at Half Moon Cay for their professional handling of the incident.

:)

My Dad was taken off the ship by helicopter after a serious heart attack. It was quite something. They wouldn't allow my Mom on the helicopter with him and I thought she was going to end up another victim she was so upset. Everything ended up alright although there were more than a few anxious moments.

As an ex Coast Guard family, we are always so proud of their actions. Could not ask for a better rescue group!!:D

You have good reason for pride and I thank you and your family for the care the Coast Guard provides us. We have seen examples of their dedication and skill and both are impressive.

Living on the Chesapeake Bay, we are amazed at the dedication of the Coast Guard men & women. Invariably, during any bad storm, when the Coast Guard advises boaters to stay off the water, some fools can't resist the danger. What happens? The brave Coast Guard rescue teams must risk their own lives, go out & save these daredevils. Sometimes, I know weather can change for the worse in a matter of hours, and boaters who left port with forecasts of a calm day can get caught unawares. I'm not referring to these people, but to nuts who have heard the advisories and ignore them.

Many thanks to those who serve in this branch of the service.

The Coast Guard reported today that it had airlifted an injured male passenger off the Volendam 100 miles offshore Astoria, Ore. Apart from a note that he had suffered injuries ina fall in his cabin, few other details were released.

Here's the story:

http://www.katu.com/news/local/103796469.html

Another job well done by the Coasties and Volendam's crew!

Living on the Chesapeake Bay, we are amazed at the dedication of the Coast Guard men & women. Invariably, during any bad storm, when the Coast Guard advises boaters to stay off the water, some fools can't resist the danger. What happens? The brave Coast Guard rescue teams must risk their own lives, go out & save these daredevils. Sometimes, I know weather can change for the worse in a matter of hours, and boaters who left port with forecasts of a calm day can get caught unawares. I'm not referring to these people, but to nuts who have heard the advisories and ignore them.

Many thanks to those who serve in this branch of the service.

Anyone who admires the brave work of the Coast Guard, should read the true story, "The Last Run" by Todd Lewan. It's about an Alaska rescue, and makes terrific reading on an Alaskan trip! I couldn't put it down. It rivals the Sir Ernest Shackleton story for a true, heroic rescue.

The USCG is all too often overlooked for being heros. I think that most people don't even give the Coast Guard a thought until it's our lives that are on the line. We once visited a life saving station (what the Coast Guard was called in it's early days) in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The story goes that during a hurricane the commander of the station told a new recruit, "The rule book says that you have to go out, it doesn't say that you have to come back." We are indeed blessed to have such a dedicated group of men and women.

Anyone who admires the brave work of the Coast Guard, should read the true story, "The Last Run" by Todd Lewan. It's about an Alaska rescue, and makes terrific reading on an Alaskan trip! I couldn't put it down. It rivals the Sir Ernest Shackleton story for a true, heroic rescue.

Or, at the very least, see the movie "The Guardian" with Kevin Costner. I believe that the movie was loosely based on Todd Lewan's book. While the story may not follow the exact events of Lewan's book, the training regimens, piloting feats and rescues-at-sea very well depict the skills of the elite personnel of our brave Coast Guard. :)

I've been on 8 cruises so far and it seems like there's been an accident on each one of them. In fact, the first one was my dad almost drowning on an excursion. But a helicopter couldn't go the distance, so we were put on a tug boat to Grand Bahama where a medivac jet picked us up and took us to a hospital by FLL. Quite an experience, but he pulled through that ok. On our last Alaskan cruise, we were held at Marjorie Glacier until the helicopter did the evac. Don't know what happened, but they sure picked a beautiful spot for the evac.

Remind me to take different cruises than you do. :rolleyes:

Have been on about 10, and it's a good thing nobody had to be evac'd as half were TAs and choppers don't go to the middle of the Atlantic.:(

Archived