Coffee Cards?

ittlfly

I just checked it out. It is in the Gifts and Services area under cellars. Here is the link:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

The item is all the way at the bottom and it says at the top of the page that it does include gratuity so I think that is cheaper than waiting to get it on the ship. Similarly, it is cheaper to buy internet packages ahead of time on the website than waiting until you board.

... The item is all the way at the bottom and it says at the top of the page that it does include gratuity so I think that is cheaper than waiting to get it on the ship. ..

Has anyone ordered the card in advance? We just got off the Golden a few weeks ago and I've decided I am getting the card on my next cruises just to get the brewed. I am one of those how wants coffee each morning but does not like the Horizon Court syrup flavor. I've taken flavored spenda packets with me to doctor it up, but even that didn't help enough most days. So if I can save the $1.50, why not try? Would they just deliver the card to my cabin on the first day? Anyone know?

I have not ordered the coffee card in advance, but I have purchased internet minutes in advance. If it works similarly, there would be a card in your stateroom indicating a gift of (in your case) the coffee card. You would take that card to the International Cafe and get your coffee card, presumably, just as I took my gift card to the Internet Cafe to get my internet package credited back to me. When we ordered the internet package, we called Princess and ordered it over the phone and paid by credit card. We had the gift number and everything ready for them since the person we ordered through needed that information.

Hi all,

I know someone here will know the answer to my question. My wife likes a coffee but I have never had a cup in my life. I however love tea every day. If my wife gets a coffee card would she be able to order fresh brewed coffee for herself and tea for me, or do I need a card also?

Thanks.

Matthew

Hi all,

I know someone here will know the answer to my question. My wife likes a coffee but I have never had a cup in my life. I however love tea every day. If my wife gets a coffee card would she be able to order fresh brewed coffee for herself and tea for me, or do I need a card also?

Thanks.

Matthew

Usually you can, however there have been reports that they will not do this on some ships. We always have two or more open cards so it doesn't make any difference to us. They have, however, always given me two cups of coffee whether I have one or two cards. Maybe because I always present a cash tip with the card.

I have not ordered the coffee card in advance, but I have purchased internet minutes in advance. If it works similarly, there would be a card in your stateroom indicating a gift of (in your case) the coffee card. You would take that card to the International Cafe and get your coffee card, presumably, just as I took my gift card to the Internet Cafe to get my internet package credited back to me.

Thus making it more effort to buy it in advance than just getting it on the ship.

I just checked it out. It is in the Gifts and Services area under cellars. Here is the link:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

The item is all the way at the bottom and it says at the top of the page that it does include gratuity so I think that is cheaper than waiting to get it on the ship. Similarly, it is cheaper to buy internet packages ahead of time on the website than waiting until you board.

Thanks for the link. I went on line following the link and found the card. I elected to call Princess rarther than do an on line request. The gal at Princess had never heard of it and said she had been there 10 years. However, when she check with someone else, they located the card under "Food" on their computer. The price was the same, $26 as noted.

FWIW....I guess they have a different screen than what we see on the net. Thanks again.

I have only been on one Princess cruise before and I will soon be on the Emerald Princess for 10 days. I remember not liking the coffee in the dining room and now I know why....My favorite coffee is Dunkin Doughnuts, and I hate Starbucks. Those of you who have had the brewed kind, which flavor is it more like? I don't need the specialty coffees, but I do love brewed coffee and also hot choclate. So, after reading this link I assume if you buy the card you just show it at the International coffee place and they give you brewed coffee and do not punch one of the spots on the card, is that correct? Will they fill up a large personal thermal cup?

So the card purchase includes a 15% tip.

Is an additional cash tip expected for each coffee received?

If one is using for only brewed coffee, that $1.50 tip for unlimited cups doesn't seem like much.

No, they don't expect a tip every time they serve you -- even when they're making a specialty coffee, which takes a lot more effort than pouring a cup of brewed coffee (well, mine do: decaf, skim milk, no whipped cream, extra hot -- I'm like a parody of a Starbucks yuppie!). I usually drop by the last evening with an envelope for the guys, though, if they've cheerfully and promptly made my drink correctly all cruise long. But they don't give you the stink-eye if you don't tip day by day, cup by cup.

My favorite coffee is Dunkin Doughnuts, and I hate Starbucks. Those of you who have had the brewed kind, which flavor is it more like? I thought the coffee at IC varied last year (on the CB). Honestly, although most days I thought it was great, somedays I thought they maybe weren't able to keep up with fresh brewed so were using the regular coffee used in HC. I'm not familiar with Dunkin Doughnuts, but it is not as strong flavored as the regular Starbucks.

I don't need the specialty coffees, but I do love brewed coffee and also hot choclate. So, after reading this link I assume if you buy the card you just show it at the International coffee place and they give you brewed coffee and do not punch one of the spots on the card, is that correct? Yes

Will they fill up a large personal thermal cup? They did for me on the CB last year.

I think the coffee card is a great deal for those of us who like lots of coffee.

No, they don't expect a tip every time they serve you -- even when they're making a specialty coffee, which takes a lot more effort than pouring a cup of brewed coffee (well, mine do: decaf, skim milk, no whipped cream, extra hot -- I'm like a parody of a Starbucks yuppie!). I usually drop by the last evening with an envelope for the guys, though, if they've cheerfully and promptly made my drink correctly all cruise long. But they don't give you the stink-eye if you don't tip day by day, cup by cup.

This is what I do. We use the coffee card. In the morning I will go down to the IC and get two large to go and leave a $1 tip which he places in a tip jar to be shared. At the end of the cruise, if I have the same bartender ech morning, I will give him an extra tip which he can keep for himself.

No, I didn't tip them but I did give each staff member a mini easter basket of candy one morning since it was Easter week. They liked that. I also noticed that one of my normal 'gals' was off that morning so I brought hers the next day so that she knew I remebered her, too.

This is what I do. We use the coffee card. In the morning I will go down to the IC and get two large to go and leave a $1 tip which he places in a tip jar to be shared. At the end of the cruise, if I have the same bartender ech morning, I will give him an extra tip which he can keep for himself.

Don't think I've ever used "cash" on a cruise during the week. So maybe I will keep a stack of singles for the morning coffee. Thanks

I love the no expiration date. I put mine with my passport so I would not forget it in February when I cruise next:)

I've done exactly the same thing! I got a coffee card on the CB last week and used only 6 or 7 punches. I look forward to using it on the Island Princess in January.

Chris

Just a couple of my loose ends and observations on my part. Someone asked about Soy milk. They do have Soy Milk and they will make your Latte with Soy. The rule has been that you can get two "free" fresh brewed coffee's with one card. Now we spend quite a bit of time in the IC on the different ships and have seen this strictly enforced and sometimes very lax. Also you can get your specialty coffee in a "to go" cup(or your fresh brewed) and they have small and large. Some ships will punch out two times for the large and sometimes just one punch for the large. Sometimes it depends on the "relationship" you develop with the barista.

One last thing is the Hot Chocolate is free too with the card. It is just the envelope kind(instant). I actually enjoy getting this in the evening before bed, but again, due to the time I spend there(sadly), I always ask that they make it with the steamed milk(whole, YUM), because they usually make it with hot water, which I just don't like. So by the third day or so, they see me coming and start making my special Hot Chocolate at night, with whip cream of course, lol. We do tip extra, but they do not expect it, this is just a matter of preference, and because we spend so much time there, and sometimes it gets awfully busy there..... lol. :p

As far as I can tell the Sapphire doesn't have an IC, where do you use it then?

In the bar on the Plaza Deck at the bottom of the Atrium; where the IC would be if there were an IC. I think it's called Lobby Bar on the Sapphire?

Archived