Mariner benefits

Aruba

I realized that I will reach the 3-star level in the middle of a 35-day cruise next summer. Does anyone know if the 3-star benefits begin on that specific date OR only after the completion of the cruise in which the 3-star requirements are met?

According to HAL -- it will begin on your NEXT cruise:

If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

That advice is absolutely correct. That being said, before our last cruise (when we were almost at the 3-star threshold), I wrote a polite letter to HAL explaining our loyalty and the category of cabin we always sail in. They granted us 3-star status early so that we could enjoy those benefits on our most recent cruise, which I thought was a real win-win since we got the bennies and they got extra spending from us due to the discounts.

It can't hurt to ask--the worst they can say is "no".

Archived