Price of HAL tours

slotl

I saw a large and abandoned McDonald's outside the long-distance bus terminal in Amman, Jordan. Wonder what the story was because they intentionally chose a high-traffic area. Was it price or food or both, in the land of absolutely scrumptious "shwarma" street food, costing only pennies. My guess it was both. So McDonalds does not catch on everywhere around the world though they got joined at the hip with Starbuck's throughout China.

PS - I couldn't agree more.

Not related to food whatsoever but I cringe every time someone complains bitterly (and usually out loud to whoever is within earshot) that:

a.) They cannot use their American dollars

b.) The darn people don't speak English

I take American dollars at all times because let's face it - in many places people prefer it but I always have local currency as well. And while I am barely fluent in French (and some may suggest English as well ;)) I make a point of learning some basic phrases wherever I go.

I remember sitting on a rooftop restaurant near the Blue Mosque and the waiter patiently teaching me "teşekkür ederim" as 'tea, sugar, and a dream' and items on the menu. A very fond memory.

I recall a post about a year ago where a CC member was asking where to get "American food" in Paris. Go figure.

Hank

Hard to find American food in America. Most of our local restaurants out west here in coastal California are international ethnic or global fusion locavore.

Tourist info back during the US 1976 bicentennial that I read while living in Switzerland recommended the very newly traveling Europeans to the US look for steak, apple pie and marshmallows. (!) But then they also thought pop corn was "tierfutter" (animal feed)

Archived