Price of HAL tours

slotl

May I ask when you're going to be in St. Vincent? I booked one there, too for an October sailing on a day sail. It would be interesting if we booked the same one.:)

I'm also booked on the day sail!

If you recall Esther E you promise me a full review of this tour also!!

:D:D

Yes -- some of them have gotten very pricey.

If it is a new port for us -- we will use HAL. That gives us a clue as to what we will do in that port when we return there. When we return to a port -- we are on our own. The only exception would be if HAL had a tour that really interests us and I don't want to spend time hunting around for an independant operator.

Pretty much how we research and plan. Might add that we also factor in the complexity of the tour. For instance, if it's one that takes a long time, which usually means it's a distance from the ship, then we'll stick with HAL even if a bit more expensive. Kind of like that HAL takes some responsibility for us in terms of waiting for their tours to return to the ship before they leave.

We use both as our resources and time dictate. For instance in Moorea the very best tour around is contracted to HAL, therefore to do that tour you must book through the ship. If a tour is very long or complicated we will probably take the ship tour instead of private. Other times private is the only way to go to see what you want to see.

The price includes making sure the ship does not leave without you. That is worth something. HAL shore excursions have been uniformly good when compared to another pricier cruise line where they were very shallow and primarily geared to shopping stops.

No only that...either Bruce Muzz or Phillip217 once explained that the cruise line makes very little on each tour..Only because-

HAL & all the Cruise Lines insist that all Tour Operators are licenced...In addition, they require each Tour Operator to keep their buses in pristine condition, have the best professional bus drivers, the best professional tour guides & each operator must carry a very high insurance policy in case of injury to a psgr..

Maintenance on equipment, fuel, salaries of the drivers/ guides, & insurance policies are quite expensive & most of the monies goes to the tour operators..

Most private tour operators can't afford to carry the high insurance policies & their equipment is not always in the best condition...

We normally take private tours except in areas where we think it's not safe & it's prudent to take Ship's tours..

One such place was Morocco..We not only had a guide with us but we also had an armed guard following us..This saddened me only because I had personally driven through Morocco twice in the 70's with Ladies from my office & never once did we feel uncomfortable or frightened..

One time, just outside of Essaouira, we had a flat tire & could not find the spare..A truckload of workmen came along & my Friend, who spoke French ,explained our problem..They took the tire off,drove to town to have it fixed & then they all came back to put it on the car & refused payment!... That evening the Mayor of the town came to our Hotel to welcome us in town & to invite us to his home for a typical Moroccan dinner the following evening..What an unusual experience that was..:)(another story)

We've been to St Lucia many times & hired private guides, but have decided to take HAL's tour from Castries to Soufriere...It's about a 6 hr. tour & we don't want to be left behind..The ship leaves Castries early & anchors off Soufriere to pick us up by tender..

For what it's worth --- I can only comment on HAL excursions as we have never done private tours. Four years ago in Belize my DH went cave tubing (HAL excursion) and had a blast and felt the guides were terrific. When he returned to the ship he made many comments to me about the private tours doing the same trip. He felt they were very "unqualified' to be doing this tour. In fact, one of the guides from the HAL tour had to actually save someone in trouble on one of the private tours. My DH felt that if someone had the $$ to "buy" a license anyone could say they were a tour operator and felt HAL did a great job hiring the best. I realize there are many exceptions ... but this was my DH's observation and I thought I would share.

I agree with your Husband...Most ships tours use professionals to handle the tours..That's why they are so expensive, as they have to adhere to the Cruise lines contracts..

We always traveled independently & either drove or booked our own tours, when I was in the travel business... However, now that we are older & there seems to be more violence in the world, we are a lot more careful than we were before....We now normally cruise with Friends...Our DH's "kick the tires" so to speak & check out the condition of the private cars/vans before they make a deal for a 3-4 hr tour...We usually return to the ship for lunch unless it's in a place we know & have been before..

We are very careful about all day private tours unless it was with an operator we know or one who guaranteed (in writing) to get us to the ship if we miss it, such as in Alaska...There we booked tours with operators who were all well recommended on the C.C. Ports of call board..

Cheers.......:)Betty

as to how I would book a tour. In the Caribbean I feel comfortable booking privately but if I was going to Europe or Asia I would book thru the ship. On some islands I found very little difference between the ship's tour and the private offer. The big difference is that the private tours are in smaller vehicles and the tour is more flexible based on what the passengers request.

I'm also booked on the day sail!

If you recall Esther E you promise me a full review of this tour also!!

:D:D

I just peeked and see you're in December. Please remind this very senior citizen about a review of the tour again. I tend to forget:eek: Seriously, I will have my computer with me, so if you email me at pest1167@msn.com during that time, I will be more than happy to give you my take on it.

No only that...either Bruce Muzz or Phillip217 once explained that the cruise line makes very little on each tour..Only because-

HAL & all the Cruise Lines insist that all Tour Operators are licenced...In addition, they require each Tour Operator to keep their buses in pristine condition, have the best professional bus drivers, the best professional tour guides & each operator must carry a very high insurance policy in case of injury to a psgr..

Maintenance on equipment, fuel, salaries of the drivers/ guides, & insurance policies are quite expensive & most of the monies goes to the tour operators..

Most private tour operators can't afford to carry the high insurance policies & their equipment is not always in the best condition...

We normally take private tours except in areas where we think it's not safe & it's prudent to take Ship's tours..

One such place was Morocco..We not only had a guide with us but we also had an armed guard following us..This saddened me only because I had personally driven through Morocco twice in the 70's with Ladies from my office & never once did we feel uncomfortable or frightened..

One time, just outside of Essaouira, we had a flat tire & could not find the spare..A truckload of workmen came along & my Friend, who spoke French ,explained our problem..They took the tire off,drove to town to have it fixed & then they all came back to put it on the car & refused payment!... That evening the Mayor of the town came to our Hotel to welcome us in town & to invite us to his home for a typical Moroccan dinner the following evening..What an unusual experience that was..:)(another story)

We've been to St Lucia many times & hired private guides, but have decided to take HAL's tour from Castries to Soufriere...It's about a 6 hr. tour & we don't want to be left behind..The ship leaves Castries early & anchors off Soufriere to pick us up by tender..

I agree with your Husband...Most ships tours use professionals to handle the tours..That's why they are so expensive, as they have to adhere to the Cruise lines contracts..

We always traveled independently & either drove or booked our own tours, when I was in the travel business... However, now that we are older & there seems to be more violence in the world, we are a lot more careful than we were before....We now normally cruise with Friends...Our DH's "kick the tires" so to speak & check out the condition of the private cars/vans before they make a deal for a 3-4 hr tour...We usually return to the ship for lunch unless it's in a place we know & have been before..

We are very careful about all day private tours unless it was with an operator we know or one who guaranteed (in writing) to get us to the ship if we miss it, such as in Alaska...There we booked tours with operators who were all well recommended on the C.C. Ports of call board..

Cheers.......:)Betty

I certainly am no expert however I have had the experience of booking the same tour with the same company on several occasions and find that the price is usually 2 to 3 times what I pay. Now I recognize that there are are couple more levels involved with ships tours and those people need to make a profit as well but unless HAL is VERY generous I would expect they do very well on these tours.

We very often run into shipmates who are rushing around said attraction as they have to get back on the bus soon to head to the obligatory 'store of crap' (which doubtless HAL/tour operator also takes a kick back from) as we leisurely enjoy our visit and I am contented that I have made the best choice...for us anyway.

We very often run into shipmates who are rushing around said attraction as they have to get back on the bus soon to head to the obligatory 'store of crap' (which doubtless HAL/tour operator also takes a kick back from) as we leisurely enjoy our visit and I am contented that I have made the best choice...for us anyway.

I can't remember a single HAL cruise where we were taken to a shopping experience. Some tours offered free time in a downtown area where people could shop or not on their own, but never taken clearly to an obvious kick-back type tourist store, which I have experienced on other cruise lines or tours. Maybe they have those types of tours, but not on the ones we have chosen with HAL. Just the opposite, we thought the ones we have chosen were very professional and of high quality content.

I remember really being "set up" by the tour operator was a Tulum tour off the Oosterdam back in 2004. The guide had the bus stop at what basically was a road side shack that had genuine Mayan crafts, etc., (yeah right) for sale. Wasn't quite clear about the relationship between the guide and the shack operator but it seemed to be his brother or uncle or something like that. :D Another time we were off the old Celebrity Galaxy and we went to another Mayan ruin. At the ruin there was a gift shop and the tour guide steered us toward the shop before the bus departed for the ship. Wife found a little painting she liked as a souvenir but the operator wanted too much for it and we went to the bus. Tour guide immediately went to the shop and apparently worked a "deal". At the end I actually saw the shop keeper hand the tour guide a roll of money, obviously the guide's share of the sales and maybe a standard business practice.

SWISSMYST Well you are a very lucky person because Diamonds International was on about every HAL tour in the Caribbean where they had a presence (which is just about everywhere) and there was a horrifying one we were taken to in Egypt for an hour on one of the very few times I have taken an organized tour.

I stress that I have not been on one in the Caribbean in years so things have perhaps changed and I am now outdated but I was in Egypt last year and it DID happen.

SWISSMYST Well you are a very lucky person because Diamonds International was on about every HAL tour in the Caribbean where they had a presence (which is just about everywhere) and there was a horrifying one we were taken to in Egypt for an hour on one of the very few times I have taken an organized tour.

I stress that I have not been on one in the Caribbean in years so things have perhaps changed and I am now outdated but I was in Egypt last year and it DID happen.

In Alexandria Egypt, we were dropped off at the Marriott Hotel where the jewelry store Sterns had free "cocktails" waiting for us. At other ports, Sterns supplied free shuttle busses from the ship to their downtown shops.

I was on a Mexican Riveria cruise on Princess and it was like Diamond's International was the "sponsor" of our onboard Princess "shopping guide", yes, Princess employee. The hard sell on shore was so "overboard".

"Don't forget, if you decide you don't like your purchase at Diamonds International in port one, you can always exchange it at Diamonds International in port two or three."

If you want to read a great book about cruising in the "olden days" and the payoffs to the cruise directors to bring passengers to their shops, I recommend reading: Devils on the Deep Blue Sea: the dreams, schemes, and showdowns that built the cruise industry by Kristoffer A. Garin

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_16?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=devils+on+the+deep+blue+sea&sprefix=devils+on+the+de

Diamonds International (and a couple other overly ubiquitous "duty free" jewelry chains) shows up in every cruise ship port and is on the "recommended" shopping lists provided by the HAL shopping consultant, which apparently includes some sort of mutual guarantee for purchases made there, and now they are even in Skagway Alaska along with all the pelts and ulu knives.

But we were never ever taken to a Diamonds International store on any HAL tour (that we chose) in the Caribbean. No shopping stops at all on any of the Caribbean tours, other than free time alloted at various stops. My HAL experiences only go back to Jan 2009.

Very interesting thread and lots of valid points were made. We generally use HAL excursions in new ports or if the itinerary of the tour is interesting in revisited ports. This allows us to shift responsibility to someone else for handling everything - and to me, my time is valuable - so it is worth it to pay a bit more. Further this point - that responsibility includes getting us back on the ship shipshape - no robberies, no missing ship, handling illnesses .. etc.

There are some cities such as Istanbul where we hire private tour guides each time and it is worth it there.

The one irritant I find is that while you pay in advance that is not an issue with me ... BUT for their overland tours (ones where you spend at least one night away from ship), the refund policy is >> If you cancel up to 30 days prior to tour – 25% penalty, 30 to 14 days prior to tour – 50% penalty and within 14 days – 100% penalty. << A bit unfriendly, I must say.

harry

We have taken many HAL tours and enjoyed most of them. The Cairo tour in 2008 was a nightmare regarding the visit to Gizeh, which was supposed to be the highlight of our 12-day cruise. Like soldham has noted, we had over an hour in the shop vs. 20 minutes at the Great Pyramid and 15 minutes at the Sphinx. It was hurry, hurry, hurry unless you were at the designated store, where you chose your purchase and had the salesman write up a ticket for it. You then took the ticket downstairs, waited in line, paid for the item, and then went back upstairs to retrieve your purchase. The only good thing about the store visit was the clean restroom.

Contrast that to a wonderful day out of Hilo in a mini-van with two other couples and two guides on a HAL tour to Mauna Kea Observatory. The guides were unhurried -- after all, we had to be acclimated for the ascent to 14,000 feet -- and knowledgeable and caring. We were their "ohana" (family) for the day.

Despite the debacle at Gizeh, we're likely to stick with HAL tours just for the safety factor and peace of mind that we won't miss the ship. We've learned, however, that we can have rewarding experiences exploring on foot or public transport in smaller ports.

Mrs M

Well then things may have changed for the better! - it has been several years since we have been to the Caribbean.

Changed? Maybe. For the better? I wouldn't say so.

The new trick is not returning a tour to the ship, or pier. You are dropped off in a shopping area, and forced to walk back. :rolleyes:

Sometimes the distance is short; other times it's too long in the heat and humidity.

Oh yeah, the wonderful world of Diamond International!

It's amazing how regardless on what major cruise line that you sail on how they all recommend Diamond International. They really get the newbie cruisers.

One of my coworkers told me awhile back on their first cruise (the sailed with RCCL) they went to the sales talk and were impressed with the cruise consultant and got a VIP card after the talk. He end up buying her a very nice ring. However when returning home, he found out the value was not as much as quoted at the shop (it was close, but still less). Since she like the ring alot (and he wanted peace), he blame it on new cruiser and eager to please his wife. After that cruise, he won't go nowhere near a Diamond International!

I know even with some local guides, they will sometimes "stop" at certain vendors that are along the way. There were times when these vendors have better prices.

I just peeked and see you're in December. Please remind this very senior citizen about a review of the tour again. I tend to forget:eek: Seriously, I will have my computer with me, so if you email me at pest1167@msn.com during that time, I will be more than happy to give you my take on it.

Thanks Esther E! I won't bother you during the cruise! I just wait until you return for a full review!

May I ask on your sailing if HAL is offering in St. Lucia the zipline only tour? This is what I want to do there. I know others who booked and enjoyed this HAL tour in St. Lucia. HAL still don't have it showing on my sailing yet.

I came across two local vendors who offer it, but since I'm solo and no one else so far have inquired about the tour (the Maasdam is the only ship in port that day), they won't book me.

Thanks!

There are some cities such as Istanbul where we hire private tour guides each time and it is worth it there.

harry

I am surprised by this. I have found Istanbul to be a very walkable city and quite safe as well. Feel safer there than say - wandering around downtown Detroit.

MrsMuir - I also did not think the 1 hour stop at the Meridian (or whatever hotel chain it was) for the buffett was an efficient use of time. WOuld have been much happier with a boxed lunch to eat along the way and more time at the sites. Having said all that I would not do an independent tour in Cairo regardless of the challenges - it was just too chaotic and the traffic was insane!

Oh yeah, the wonderful world of Diamond International!

It's amazing how regardless on what major cruise line that you sail on how they all recommend Diamond International. They really get the newbie cruisers.

One of my coworkers told me awhile back on their first cruise (the sailed with RCCL) they went to the sales talk and were impressed with the cruise consultant and got a VIP card after the talk. He end up buying her a very nice ring. However when returning home, he found out the value was not as much as quoted at the shop (it was close, but still less). Since she like the ring alot (and he wanted peace), he blame it on new cruiser and eager to please his wife. After that cruise, he won't go nowhere near a Diamond International!

I know even with some local guides, they will sometimes "stop" at certain vendors that are along the way. There were times when these vendors have better prices.

Some years ago I purchased a diamond ring at the Charlotte Amalie DI. Upon returning home, I had an independent professional apparaisal done. The appraisal was a few hundred dollars less than I paid so I called DI's home office in NY. As requested, I faxed them a copy of the receipt and the appraisal. They promptly sent me a check for the difference.

After that experience, I picked up a copy of Fred Cuellar's book, How To Buy A Diamond. I'm now much wiser about diamond purchases. :)

I'm not suggesting that its wise to diamond shop while cruising. You well may get a better price and stone in your home town. Just wanted to recount that DI isn't out to s***w us. Also that we need to take some personal responsibility and be knowledgeable about the diamond we buy. Fred Cuellar's book makes it much easier for the lay person to do that.

We are always fascinated about jewelry sales technique, appraisals, and real value. Remember, the true worth of a diamond (or any other gem) is the price someone else is willing to pay for it! Appraisals are usualy part reality and part scam. A high appraisal makes everyone happy, the buyer, the seller and the insurance company who charges more for higher appraised stones. Here is an interesting article that can really go a long way to educating consumers

http://www.diamonds2cash.com/appraisal/

Hank

We are always fascinated about jewelry sales technique, appraisals, and real value. Remember, the true worth of a diamond (or any other gem) is the price someone else is willing to pay for it! Appraisals are usualy part reality and part scam. A high appraisal makes everyone happy, the buyer, the seller and the insurance company who charges more for higher appraised stones. Here is an interesting article that can really go a long way to educating consumers

http://www.diamonds2cash.com/appraisal/

Hank

Exactly true. That's why it's wise to always get an independent appraisal done by a professional.

I am surprised by this. I have found Istanbul to be a very walkable city and quite safe as well. Feel safer there than say - wandering around downtown Detroit.

I agree with you that I felt safe there. We get guides there for the following reasons:

a) very reasonable price with SeaSong

b) they get us in/out of the sites quickly and the car is always nearby when we are ready to leave

c) they help me with my Turkish as I try to speak the languages of the countries I am in ... and eating with a native speaker always makes for more fun.

d) gives me a chance to discuss their secular views/religious views one-on-one over meals.

harry

Airlinkdiva, if your on the 10-22-10 sailing of Massdam. The 8:30 is waitlist, but the 9:00 is wide open for this tour.

No I'm on the December 6th sailing.

But they are offering zipline only tour on your St. Lucia stop. That means I just need to keep checking back for it to show on my sailing tours.

Archived