Price of HAL tours

slotl

Some years ago I purchased a diamond ring at the Charlotte Amalie DI. Upon returning home, I had an independent professional apparaisal done. The appraisal was a few hundred dollars less than I paid so I called DI's home office in NY. As requested, I faxed them a copy of the receipt and the appraisal. They promptly sent me a check for the difference.

After that experience, I picked up a copy of Fred Cuellar's book, How To Buy A Diamond. I'm now much wiser about diamond purchases. :)

I'm not suggesting that its wise to diamond shop while cruising. You well may get a better price and stone in your home town. Just wanted to recount that DI isn't out to s***w us. Also that we need to take some personal responsibility and be knowledgeable about the diamond we buy. Fred Cuellar's book makes it much easier for the lay person to do that.

I agree that prior to buying anything of a large amount, you need to research. But I know at times some of those sales talks are a little pushy esp if someone is sailing for the first time and don't check things out.

I agree with you that I felt safe there. We get guides there for the following reasons:

a) very reasonable price with SeaSong

b) they get us in/out of the sites quickly and the car is always nearby when we are ready to leave

c) they help me with my Turkish as I try to speak the languages of the countries I am in ... and eating with a native speaker always makes for more fun.

d) gives me a chance to discuss their secular views/religious views one-on-one over meals.

harry

Ah - good stuff and ALL very good reasons! If more people were so willing to immerse themselves in the culture rather than looking for a MacDonalds/Starbucks, demanding English be spoken, and paying in US $'s I am sure our reputation in the wider world would be much better.

Ah - good stuff and ALL very good reasons! If more people were so willing to immerse themselves in the culture rather than looking for a MacDonalds/Starbucks, demanding English be spoken, and paying in US $'s I am sure our reputation in the wider world would be much better.

If you don't visit a McDonalds or a Starbucks around the world, you are missing out on a lot of local culture. We always make a point to visit a McDonalds to see how local people use it, how they keep taste and product consistencies, and most importantly what local items they add to their menus around the world and responding to varying dietary sensabilities.

Always a fascinating globalization learning experience and a way to keep one's fingers on the international pulse. Plus sometimes there is nothing better after being on the road for a long time than McDonald's Fishwich, fries and Coke.

If you don't visit a McDonalds or a Starbucks around the world, you are missing out on a lot of local culture. We always make a point to visit a McDonalds to see how local people use it, how they keep taste and product consistencies, and most importantly what local items they add to their menus around the world and responding to varying dietary sensabilities.

Always a fascinating globalization learning experience and a way to keep one's fingers on the international pulse. Plus sometimes there is nothing better after being on the road for a long time than McDonald's Fishwich, fries and Coke.

I think you know what I was getting at. Those are simply examples that are indicative of the larger issue of going to a foreign country and expecting that it be just like home.

And I could never imagine traveling 1/2 way across the world just to eat unhealthy crap I can get at home - but that is just me.

And I could never imagine traveling 1/2 way across the world just to eat unhealthy crap I can get at home - but that is just me.

C'mon, you mean you eat none of the unhealthy crap that also gets served on HAL ships, like their totally unredeeming ,yet totally enticing powder sugar donuts. One does not sail HAL ships to get away from US brand unhealthy "crap" food. One is choosing to be placed right in the middle of it. And a darn good job they do of it too, but hardly a place to experience local cuisine.

Judging by the lines at the poolside nacho bar with the dripping Velveeta and chips trays, others do not avoid US "crap" food on HAL ships either.:rolleyes:

C'mon, you mean you eat none of the unhealthy crap that also gets served on HAL ships, like their totally unredeeming ,yet totally enticing powder sugar donuts. One does not sail HAL ships to get away from US brand unhealthy "crap" food. One is choosing to be placed right in the middle of it. And a darn good job they do of it too, but hardly a place to experience local cuisine.

Judging by the lines at the poolside nacho bar with the dripping Velveeta and chips trays, others do not avoid US "crap" food on HAL ships either.:rolleyes:

I actually eat quite well on HAL ships - it is simply a matter of selection. Fresh fruit, salads, vegetables, and meat at dinner (and I think the last time I had a donut was perhaps 2005.) I actually lost 5 lbs on our last 18 day cruise.

I am constantly perplexed by the line ups at the burger area. Not only is it 'crap' there is much better offerings just inside the Lido that happen to be (at least a good part of it) much healthier.

The taco bar is just gross - I have seen people put their fingers in the cheese sauce, use the meat spoon to get their guacamole, and other cross contamination nightmares but to each his or her own.

Where I entirely agree with you is the 'local flavour' on the ship. I have commented on my survey card for years that it would be nice to see a menu selection of the area we are in for those who wish to try something different. So - for now - in lieu of that we eat lunch (or dinner as the case may be) off the ship when we can. Supports the local economy and gives you a taste. I actually quite enjoyed my cod tongues in Newfoundland. :eek:

That would be a consistent feedback point I have for HAL's menus ... I really wish there was more representative regional cuisine from which one is sailing. I have seen sous chefs picking up fresh fish in São Tomé on the Rotterdam, and I've had grilled kangaroo whilst on the Statendam doing AU/NZ, but those are rare exceptions. For us more, uh, adventurous eaters, it would be a welcome change to have even one 'local' entrée choice an evening. For me, it'd be a nice offset to the same old same old fish / fowl / reed meat / pasta / vegetarian line-up.

No offense intended to the Velveeta® cheese food product eaters out there, but sometimes I wish HAL's menus were a little less Brown Derby, however, I expect logistics would render this cost prohibitive.

Now to get back on topic ... :-)

Scott.

We were on an HAL ship's tour to the Backwaters near Cochin, India. The tour took us to a beautiful resort in the middle of the Backwaters for lunch. As we left our boat to go into the restaurant, one of the folks on tour (from a differerent bus/boat) asked us if we had lunch yet. She wanted to "warn" us that the food was an Indian buffet. Indian!! Can you imagine the nerve (she said). I totally got lost in her expectations of what food would be served. WE ARE IN INDIA for heavens sake.

On another cruise to Moyoko, Japan, (the old capital), the tour took us to a beautiful hotel for lunch. Menu: chicken!!! My hubby and I excused ourselves and, with another couple, left the group to go downstairs for a Tepanyaki lunch instead. We are in Japan, why would I want to eat a Western chicken lunch?

If you are a true "traveler", you want to experience the culture and the food of the area/country you are visiting, otherwise, what is the purpose of your visit?? shopping?? seeing churches and cathedrals?? museums? ancient rocks??

We were on an HAL ship's tour to the Backwaters near Cochin, India. The tour took us to a beautiful resort in the middle of the Backwaters for lunch. As we left our boat to go into the restaurant, one of the folks on tour (from a differerent bus/boat) asked us if we had lunch yet. She wanted to "warn" us that the food was an Indian buffet. Indian!! Can you imagine the nerve (she said). I totally got lost in her expectations of what food would be served. WE ARE IN INDIA for heavens sake.

That's too funny. What was she expecting?!

I had a similar experience in Costa Maya on one of those Meet-the-Locals excursions (which by the way was a highlight of the trip). A small group of us went to a Mayan family's home where the meal was prepared for us, outdoors and over an open fire. Just before we sat down, one of the women in the group said "I hope this won't be spicy! I don't eat spicy food".

If you are a true "traveler", you want to experience the culture and the food of the area/country you are visiting, otherwise, what is the purpose of your visit?? shopping?? seeing churches and cathedrals?? museums? ancient rocks??

PS - I couldn't agree more.

That would be a consistent feedback point I have for HAL's menus ... I really wish there was more representative regional cuisine from which one is sailing. I have seen sous chefs picking up fresh fish in São Tomé on the Rotterdam, and I've had grilled kangaroo whilst on the Statendam doing AU/NZ, but those are rare exceptions. For us more, uh, adventurous eaters, it would be a welcome change to have even one 'local' entrée choice an evening. For me, it'd be a nice offset to the same old same old fish / fowl / reed meat / pasta / vegetarian line-up. -)

Scott.

If you go on a Grand Cruise there are many Ethnic dinners prepared on the ship (with decorations to match) on many of the "exotic" ports of call. I am sure HAL serves "standard fares" on the shorter cruises which service the same destinations week after week.

If you look at the bottom of the HAL menus, it will tell you 1/7 or Sunday. Meaning day 1 of a 7 day cruise or the Sunday fare for the cruise each week.

Wow! HAL offers shore excursions?????

We haven't taken a HAL shore ex since at least 2006. That includes 2 Grand Voyages and the TOTW & Baltic Gems this summer. In an earlier life, we spent too much time waiting for the inconsiderate so-and-so who wouldn't leave the gift shop.

On the subject of HAL steering the herd to shopping areas: We were in Agadir, Morocco, in 2001 on the Rotterdam and were marched through the souk at Warp 2 but not allowed to stop. We told the guide we wanted to purchase some saffron and he told us he would take us somewhere else where we could get it. Bottom line -- there was no saffron [no spices of any kind], there was hard sell and we wasted an hour in this dollar store.

Never again.

On another cruise to Moyoko, Japan, (the old capital), the tour took us to a beautiful hotel for lunch. Menu: chicken!!! My hubby and I excused ourselves and, with another couple, left the group to go downstairs for a Tepanyaki lunch instead. We are in Japan, why would I want to eat a Western chicken lunch?

Oh so true!

I will never forget the wonderful lunch that I had on my Guadeloupe stop on the Maasdam 2008. I booked a private tour and out of the six people, I was the only American (the other five were from France). The highlight was lunch at a local home.

Nothing beats a wonderful local meal! I also just enjoyed sitting there listening to the others speaking rapid French (I can understand just a bit). They did attempt to include me in the conversations, but I was just having a good time.

I felt that this gave me a true feel of the island and I came away with so much more!

Cruise tour lunches are always chicken in every city in the world, even Paris!:o

If you go on a Grand Cruise there are many Ethnic dinners prepared on the ship (with decorations to match) on many of the "exotic" ports of call.

Well I try to stay away from the 7 day / 10 day 'loop' itineraries as a rule, but a Grand Cruise is a little beyond my reach at the moment -- price notwithstanding, swinging that kind of time off will mean I'll need to wait until I retire in another 25 years. :) For now, I'll have to satisfy my adventurous foodie side with eating and drinking locally whenever I am ashore.

One of the most memorable meals of my life was in Hội An, VN, at sunset, alongside the Thu Bồn River on a second-floor terrace of a family home cum restaurant. We spoke no Vietnamese, and our server no English -- but his grandmother and I were able to speak French to one another (an holdover from the Indochine française days). There were no menus - you ate what was served - cao lầu noodles and barbecued pork. Great food, impossible to replicate ambiance, and excellent conversation. But I completely understand that eating poached chicken at the <insert western hotel chain name here> for some people represents a safer and more comfortable choice.

Scott.

Well, I, for one would not stand in a line to eat any unhealthy food onboard HAL!:mad:

"Just remember that being on a HAL tour, you only go as fast as the slowest person -- and there is always ONE. :D"

Any tour you go on - be it HAL or a small independent tour, you can still only go as fast as the slowest person.

As normally the slowest people, due to DH's handicap and need to use crutches, we find we go on HAL's tours because we know if we book in advance - we can talk to the Shorex people on the ship and get a better feel for the accessability of the tours.

We have never been charged a cancellation fee as long as you cancel 48 hours in advance -- if cancel closer than that, then I think you need to be charged something- at least they will refund some of the $

Two points -

1) When I set up a private tour with people whom I have not met, I clearly specify that you must be mobile and be able to move at a reasonable pace. There was one instance where a person lied to me and I told him that he was not welcome on the tour.

2) With a due respect and I realize that you are doing your best to deal with a disability, is it really fair to the 38 people on the bus who can move at a reasonable pace to be held up by the fact that your DH is very slow. Seems like you are being selfish to the group. If you are truly that slow, you should be taking private tours.

DON

But no one has mentioned the main reason for seeking a MacDonald's in a foreign country - clean bathrooms!:D And western style.;)

Yes, and for this southerner, drinks with lots of ice. I don't know why there is such a dearth of ice elsewhere. I always joke that I should take my own!

But no one has mentioned the main reason for seeking a MacDonald's in a foreign country - clean bathrooms!:D And western style.;)

Lines at Mickey d's in London and Paris are out the door.

So much for gourmet cuisine.

Parisians prefer their "Royale With Cheese".

If you don't believe me, just ask Vincent!:D

Lines at Mickey d's in London and Paris are out the door.

So much for gourmet cuisine.

Parisians prefer their "Royale With Cheese".

If you don't believe me, just ask Vincent!:D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110912/fullcredits

When they first opened the large McDonalds on the Champs Elysee (Paris) they actually had some large protests on the street (mostly by French farmers) because some French thought this was an assault on the French culture (we agree) which prizes relaxing lunches in cute cafes. But alas, this is now one the highest volume McDonalds in the world and most of the customers are French. Perhaps the French have finally realized that their culture is being threatened by the many immigrant groups they allowed in their country rather than a fast food restaurant.

Hank

Archived