UK passenger travel question

ceejilly

This is our first post and first cruise ever on GP next year, so please be patient with my enquiry:confused: I'm after info from fellow British passengers who have sailed from Southampton. We have the choice of free coach transfer from the east midlands or free car parking. Can anybody tell me of the format of what to expect as far as transferring luggage from the coach and/or car drop off at the terminal. Still haven't decided which way to go!! Many thanks in anticipation

Car Parking is easy but it was a good tip to make sure that only your car key is in your fob.

The system is really easy to follow, you drive up and stop. You take your luggage out of the car and place them on a trolley. You hand your keys to a car park representaive who gives you a form that you sign and he / she then drives your car to a nearbye car park.

You then embark the ship as normal.

Upon return, you walk to the car park, show your form and pick up your car keys.

The whole thing is really well organised.

This is our first post and first cruise ever on GP next year, so please be patient with my enquiry:confused: I'm after info from fellow British passengers who have sailed from Southampton. We have the choice of free coach transfer from the east midlands or free car parking. Can anybody tell me of the format of what to expect as far as transferring luggage from the coach and/or car drop off at the terminal. Still haven't decided which way to go!! Many thanks in anticipation

You might ask on the Cunard board. I have several UK friends who do coach transfers when sailing Cunard from Soton. EM

If possible come down the day before if you are driving. Check out my recent post Southampton Docks Warning.

Many thanks for everyones response, all very helpful. There was one further question I'd like to ask and that is if we decided to travel the day before and stayed overnight in an upmarket hotel, would it be safe to leave luggage in the car overnight. I can't see me moving the luggage from car to hotel room and reverse the following morning, you have no idea just how easy my wife can find suitcases and fill them:mad::mad: Of course this idea would only be carried out if the hotel had secure car parking. This is our first ever sea cruise and although we are both of the, lets say 'young senior age', I would dearly like to think that they'll be no hitches.

Personally I would never leave luggage in a car overnight, no matter where you are or how secure the car park is.

Hope you enjoy your cruise. You will either love it or never want to go on another ever again. I think we are a similar age to you but we started cruising in 1981 when we were very young for P & O!!! Been to some fantastic places and by far our favourite form of holiday and, the best bit, is that you only have to unpack once which I am sure your wife will love.

Many thanks for everyones response, all very helpful. There was one further question I'd like to ask and that is if we decided to travel the day before and stayed overnight in an upmarket hotel, would it be safe to leave luggage in the car overnight. I can't see me moving the luggage from car to hotel room and reverse the following morning, you have no idea just how easy my wife can find suitcases and fill them:mad::mad: Of course this idea would only be carried out if the hotel had secure car parking. This is our first ever sea cruise and although we are both of the, lets say 'young senior age', I would dearly like to think that they'll be no hitches.

If you stay in an upmarket hotel then they'll have porters who can lift your baggage out of the car, hold it overnight in their store and then load it back in your car the next morning. Well worth a couple of quid in their hand..

We always take the coach, although driving is very tempting, but you know that once you are on the coach even if you run into a major motorway problem (and my brother got stuck in a 6 hour jam once on the way to Heathrow) the ship will almost certainly wait for the coach. I have known it take over an hour just to get through Southampton when there was a boat show and a football match on at the same time and yet other times you just sail (not literally) straight through in minutes.

Ok, I reckon my enquiry has been well and truly answered, thanks to all. I wasn't aware that some hotels have 'luggage storage rooms' just for the likes of me but then they are hugely dependant on this type of business and would arrange things to run smoothly. We are not sailing on the Grand until late next summer but sitting in front of the computer reading all these very informative posts makes us want to sail tomorrow........

We always used to drive down the night before and stay at the Holiday Inn Eastleigh. They parked the car for the duration of the cruise and had a transfer to the docks. It was fine but over the years the price crept up quite a lot and we decided to try the coach. Now we always use it! I suppose it depends on how far away from Southampton you are but it means we dont have the bother of driving or queuing rather if you count the amount of roadworks between Stafford and Southampton! As has been said, the ship will wait for a coach but not individuals if theres a problem. We put our cases on the coach and see them again outside our cabin...bliss! We highly recommend it! Eavesway are excellent and not badly priced. We went with Cunard in May and their coaches were much more expensive. Have a good cruise!

We always travel and stay the night before....then there is no issue with traffic. We are from North Wales, so have never fancied the free coach. If we were closer, then yes we would consider it.

We have always left our luggage in the car overnight - we must be trusting souls!!

Enjoy!!

Danger Will Robinson!!

Don't do it! :eek:

Archived