Specialty Restaurant First Night?

Camlott

We have never done one before. Are they open the first night of the cruise? If so, what if we don't have our luggage yet? I know they suggest smart casual, but wasn't sure if they are as understanding as the MDR on the first night.

They are very understanding on the first night with regards to your dress and not everyone having their luggage. We have never booked this on the first night because we like to introduce ourself to our dining staff and give them a heads up on the nights we may be dining in a different venue. Have a great cruise!

They are very understanding on the first night with regards to your dress and not everyone having their luggage. We have never booked this on the first night because we like to introduce ourself to our dining staff and give them a heads up on the nights we may be dining in a different venue. Have a great cruise!

Thanks for the reply. We are doing MTD, so I wasn't concerned about introductions with waitstaff in the MDR. If we were doing traditional dining, I wouldn't consider a specialty restaurant on the first evening.

Hi Sailingawaysoon,

We have booked Chops on the first night for the last few cruises we have gone on, they do not seem to mind what you wear. We were completely casual last cruise no one minded, we ate in the specialty restaurants or windjammer every night.

As for your luggage not arriving before dinner it is pretty rare, just remember to pack 1/2 of your clothes in your suitcase and 1/2 in his and then if one does not arrive till later you still have something to wear.

As for meeting your dinning room staff we met them on our second night and they seemed to have more time to spend getting to know us since they had already met everyone else ;)

We did stop by to let them know we would not be there the first evening just to be polite but they already knew we where eating at Chops so don't worry about spending time to do that:D Just enjoy your dinner!

Is the restaurant available to book online before your cruise? If so, then I would think you would be fine as stated. This never occured to me, but the title of the thread raised my curiosity. I wouldn't do this because I like to go to the main dining room to meet the staff and tablemates, but I can see in your circumstance, this might be a good idea. I hope it works out well.

We ate at Chops on the first night of the cruise and loved it! We booked reservations online for 7:00 p.m. and our luggage did make it to the room in plenty of time to get ready for dinner. There weren't too many people dining in Chops that evening, so we had a relaxed and leisurly dinner with a very attentive (but not intrusive) wait staff. Enjoy your dinner!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think this is probably what we will end up doing.

I have never been on a cruise where we didn't have our luggage well before dinner... but just as sure as I count on it, this will be first time it happens to us! :eek:

Did Chops a few times first night....nice and quiet usually:)

Well, with the 2 for 1 coupons for D+:p, I dont think it will be that quiet!!!!!!! hahhahaha:D

The coupons are good just for the first sailing night, and my TA already booked us for 7 PM (Oct 23 and Oct 30 on Oasis):)

We have booked "Specialty Restaurants Mystery Dinner Theater - MYSTDINNER" for the first night. It is held in Portofino's on FOS.

Question: How was the Mystery Dinner? Was it worth the $49 (at least I believe I saw $49 as the price)? Was it driven by audience participation or was it strictly a play with dinner?

Thanks!

Archived