New Marina Photos and Information

JimandStan

Thanks, Guys. The view from the deck overhanging the pool area is great, and I can't wait to sit on the deck outside Baristas and have coffee, or Chai maybe. Hope we CAN sit outside in January!:D Cheers! Kay

Hi Kay. The deck outside Baristas does look tempting. Maybe we can sit outside with our warmest clothes on and sip Hot coffees.

Lynne

Lordoftheseas,

I'm one of those who does not think Marina needs a different dress code. It's one of the main things I like about Oceania. I can feel just as grand in grand surroundings in a nice shirt and slacks as in a jacket and tie.

JimandStan,

Remember "Romance on the High Seas," Doris Day's first movie where she's sailing to Cuba. She's completely unaware of the dress code and on the first night out shows up in an evening gown. When questioned she answers that the gown she's wearing is so much less fancy than her others she considers it casual.

Hi Kay. The deck outside Baristas does look tempting. Maybe we can sit outside with our warmest clothes on and sip Hot coffees.

Lynne

I'm game if you are Lynne. We live in the mountains, so winter in January is just above freezing in January during the day. Anything higher will be a bonus!:) Kay

Looking at some of the photos from the next article, you wonder where all the Jacket & ties come from :eek:

Is this a sign of things to come...what happened to CCC :confused::confused:

They haven't read this article from Avidcruiser :http://www.avidcruiser.com/2010/03/why-i-wish-i-were-frank-del-rio-and-other-thoughts-from-a-qa-with-the-chief-of-oceania/( interview with FDR )

Quote: "Q. You pointed out in one of the walk-in closets there was no tie rack. Why not?

FDR: There’s no tie rack purposely. We make it a point that we offer a country club casual ambience where tuxedoes and suits are never required. I would be going against my own brand identity if I told you to bring a tie. I don’t want you to bring a tie. You’re on vacation. I want you to relax. I want you to be casual and comfortable.";)

They haven't read this article from Avidcruiser :

;)

You would think if they were receiving their Bronze pins they would know you did not need a tie :D

I did notice on our last cruise in Aug there were more men in suits & ties maybe they are trying to change the dress code by making others feel they need to keep up :D:D

DH will not be wearing a tie anytime on Oceania & I am still trying to get him to leave the jacket home as well;)

Lyn

And I was so looking forward to not packing a jacket for my husband and a dressy dress for me. I have been looking at O's brochures and wondering a little too. Everyone looks so well dressed.:D

I am taking everyone's opinion on this board and we are going to pack casual in other words, no ties, no jackets, no dresses. That should cut down on the space occupied in the suitcases quite nicely.

I am taking everyone's opinion on this board and we are going to pack casual in other words, no ties, no jackets, no dresses. That should cut down on the space occupied in the suitcases quite nicely.

I would say in the evening it is more elegant casual then just casual some women wear cocktail dresses or dress pants & a nice top...nothing too fancy .

Lyn

Count me as one of the ones who will NOT wear a tie unless someone died or got married, but I always take at least one sports coat. I usually wear it on the plane (the last time with jeans and polo shirt), and find it has very handy pockets for boarding passes, passports, shuttle vouchers, ship documents to get aboard, etc. We just tool a 10 day cruise to Canada, with cooler weather that required layering, and did it with carry on luggage, yet I still had my jacket when I wanted to wear it -- which was 3 or 4 random evening, when I felt like it -- and I was one of about 3 people wearing a jacket on the entire ship (there were lots of shorts, jeans, hats, etc. in the main dining room of this mass market ship).

On the other hand, while I have always had a sports coat available, there have been entire cruises where it never came out of the closet. It depends somewhat on the weather, but a lot on my mood. If you tell me I have to wear it, I will probably defy you or find a work-around, just on principal.

Regent is also "elegant casual" with no jackets required, but on a Regent cruise early in 2010, where I could drive to Fort Lauderdale with no luggage restrictions, I took three sports coats, one black one that can be mixed-or-matched, and was glad I did because there were a couple of occasions that were special for me.

In other words, in FDR's words, you're on vacation. No one should be telling you how to dress, within reason. The minimal dress requirements are perfectly acceptable, and easily met by most (I recall a post by someone from the Alaskan outback who had nothing other than jeans or cargo pants :cool:). The key statement is that they are acceptable -- whether you meet those standards, or occasionally exceed them like I do, or go all out with a tux or ball gown, is entirely up to you.

Count me as one of the ones who will NOT wear a tie unless someone died or got married, but I always take at least one sports coat. I usually wear it on the plane (the last time with jeans and polo shirt), and find it has very handy pockets for boarding passes, passports, shuttle vouchers, ship documents to get aboard, etc. We just tool a 10 day cruise to Canada, with cooler weather that required layering, and did it with carry on luggage, yet I still had my jacket when I wanted to wear it -- which was 3 or 4 random evening, when I felt like it -- and I was one of about 3 people wearing a jacket on the entire ship (there were lots of shorts, jeans, hats, etc. in the main dining room of this mass market ship).

On the other hand, while I have always had a sports coat available, there have been entire cruises where it never came out of the closet. It depends somewhat on the weather, but a lot on my mood. If you tell me I have to wear it, I will probably defy you or find a work-around, just on principal.

Regent is also "elegant casual" with no jackets required, but on a Regent cruise early in 2010, where I could drive to Fort Lauderdale with no luggage restrictions, I took three sports coats, one black one that can be mixed-or-matched, and was glad I did because there were a couple of occasions that were special for me.

In other words, in FDR's words, you're on vacation. No one should be telling you how to dress, within reason. The minimal dress requirements are perfectly acceptable, and easily met by most (I recall a post by someone from the Alaskan outback who had nothing other than jeans or cargo pants :cool:). The key statement is that they are acceptable -- whether you meet those standards, or occasionally exceed them like I do, or go all out with a tux or ball gown, is entirely up to you.

Well stated! Thank you :)

Well spotted Henry,Dressed like that she would be ok in QG Cunard,I think that she might have trouble even spotting a jacket on Oceania.

Marina does look like she needs a classier dress code,I'm sure regular O cruisers will not agree with me.

I agree with you wholeheartedly... am the one who brings shoe suitcases and I might wear that dress on O..lol..;)

I for one love to "get dressed".. this lay back dress code.. is sometimes to lay back.. when some hear cc casual..they think aloha attire..drives me crazy..most people though who cruise on any ship..know that dressing for dinner means getting at least somewhat dressed for evening..

oh..do I hear some growls out there...

aw common', take away the long dress (make is a shorter version) and the hat, and she would be fine

for dinner in the MDR !

Actually, most of the older stars were very formal. I was trying to find a pic of Greta Garbo and she is either too formal or too casual. Who comes to mind on Oceania in the days........Kate Hepburn? Audrey?

oh definetly Audrey

MV5BMTc3NzcwNTg1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDg5MDI2._V1._CR21,0,407,407_SS100_.jpg

Archived