Radiance of the Seas- Category D1 and D2

dajulieness

Maybe it is just me but when I look at the deck plans of the Radiance class ships I only see a D1 category Superior OceanView Stateroom(Balcony) (which I have stayed in) but do not see a D2 category.

Perhaps you were referring to an E1 category when you mentioned D2. E1 is a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom (balcony).

D1 has about 25 sq.feet additional room in the cabin (204 sq feet total + balcony) than an E1. This allows the placement of a full two person sofa with a pull out bed. I believe there is also a bed which lowers from the ceiling (I did not actually see this in action as I was a good boy and DW did not make me sleep there).

E1 has about 179 sq feet total in the cabin which only allows the placement of a small sitting sofa.

25 sq feet does not sound like much but it can make the difference between being comfortable and feeling closed in, especially if you are

a larger person.

I believe the difference is D1 does not have a pull out sofa and D2 does have a pull out sofa.

Nope.

The room we want is in the D2 category. I really don't see a difference in the two.

d1d2.jpg

cruzcactus, you have it backwards.

It is the D1 that has the sofabed. That is the reason that it can have more than two passengers.

Julie, if there are just two of you, then there is no difference between the two categories. Book whichever cabin you like.

:)

It is the D1 that has the sofabed. That is the reason that it can have more than two passengers.

Julie, if there are just two of you, then there is no difference between the two categories. Book whichever cabin you like.

I believe that this is the correct answer.

We have D2 Hump cabin on the Radiance and there was a possibility of 3rd adult joining us so when the TA got back to us he explained that he could do it, but we would need to move to D1 category and only then we could add the 3rd passenger.

Since then the plans have changed and it's only 2 of us so we're staying with the D2 category cabin.

It's not really about the sofa bed, even though a lot of them have that. It's that the cabin has an extra feature of some sort that they think they can get a premium for.

Some/most have sofa beds, but some have a pullman and not a sofa bed, and some only hold two people but are connecting cabins.

The cabin size is the same, although based on location, some balconies can be larger or smaller than standard 41 sq. ft. Check out the deck plans carefully.

D1 cabins are considered, by RCCL, to be in better locations than D2. That is a matter of personal opinion, as the aft D2 cabins are very popular.

Also, D2 cabins will not sleep more than 2 people whereas D1 cabins can accommodate a 3rd or 4th person.

It's all about the sofa beds. No other difference. In fact, the "premium" (to many of us) aft cabins are now D2s.
Several D1's on Radiance have no sofa bed (e.g. 9094, 9096, 9594), so how can it be all about the sofa beds?

Archived