An American Prude

ship2sher

Will I likely be subjected to displays of breasts while I'm at the ports and excursions in the summer?
Only if you're lucky.

It's not just Scandinavia. You're likely to see this over large parts of continental Europe.

I think it's disgraceful, personally. If God had meant us to see breasts, we'd have been born naked. And heaven forbid that small children might ever catch sight of a nipple.

Yes, if it's sunny and warm, there is a high likelihood that you will see topless sunbathers in the parks or on the beach. This is most likely on weekends. However, contrary to popular belief, topless women don't like to be stared at (or photographed), so they tend to lie face-down or visit designated clothing-optional beaches for full-frontal tanning.

In Oslo, if you go kayaking around some of the outlying islands or hiking near the lakes up in the woods, and you accidentally aim your binoculars at the flesh-toned person-shaped object off in the distance, you may accidentally see some breasts. You may also see more distasteful unclothed anatomy as well.

Will I likely be subjected to displays of breasts while I'm at the ports and excursions in the summer? :eek:

You might be exposed to this - and no need to worry since it is the most natural thing in the world. We are not talking about pole dancing here.....

The only thing you should worry about when it comes to topless sunbathing in Scandinavia, is that you might see ME topless in one of the parks in Oslo. Now THATs not a pretty view:)

Yes to us Americans a bit of exposed flesh is shocking. But since the OP is from California you wouldn't think this would be such a shock but to each his own.

No need to feel uncomfortable if you do see some toplessness, as others have said its natural and nothing to even acknowledge. Go and enjoy your trip! I spent a week on the beach in Croatia and that was a normal situation, even the little children went naked into the water and played in the sand. I guess the point here is "When in Rome....just don't project your vvalues on others"

It's funny, isn't it? Women are allowed to go topless on Toronto, Canada too, but they hardly ever do. I assume the odd one does at the island beaches, and yes, you will see a girl lying face down with her bikini undone sometimes in a park. But no women parading around the city with no top. Since this law came into effect some years back, the men have been dreadfully disappointed.

Seriously, Europeans are far less prudish than we North Americans are. I think it's quite shocking that, even here in Canada, a ruckus ensues if someone allows a small child to run around a park or a public beach naked.

I must have been looking the other way, as I seemed to have missed all this nudity. I may have to do it again, just to see what I missed. :D:D:D

And to the OP since we all have been making light of your post. If that really bothers you, you have two choices, either don't do this cruise, or don't look.

It's not as if people are parading around naked. If people are sun bathing topless, they are discreet about it.

Gosh, if I missed it, anybody can. :D:D:D

Oh, and Terry, You must have pix of this sort of thing. Post a few and get us raided.

Cheers

Len

Oh, and Terry, You must have pix of this sort of thing. Post a few and get us raided.

ROFLMBO!!!

Terry has pics of EVERYTHING!!

;);)

Now MY pics on the other hand, are all the same. Me, or Renée, or both of us, standing in front of some famous landmark or tourist attraction. Sadly at a topless beach I am afraid we would block the main view ... ;)

Only if you're lucky.

It's not just Scandinavia. You're likely to see this over large parts of continental Europe.

I think it's disgraceful, personally. If God had meant us to see breasts, we'd have been born naked. And heaven forbid that small children might ever catch sight of a nipple.

LOL....And donot forget those that play topless volleyball on the beaches....

To the OP: I sincerely hope you don't plan on visiting any art museums or looking at any statues that are all over the place here in Europe, because if you do, well, your head will explode I'm afraid. Nudity is rampant here in the Old World.

I'm still not convinced the OP is serious, but really, if you are worried about it, stay home.

Al

(having a little off season fun)

More than breasts will be showing at some clothing optional locations in Europe...

God bless those with normal human bodies who aren't ashamed to let it all be exposed to natural Vitamin D. As for me, I couldn't bear to be bare. But I don't object to those who like the freedom of being naked in the great outdoors. Not that I'd be a "tourist" to observe them, but if I caught a glimpse, well, no problema.

BTW, there are several public areas in the US that allow nudity, e.g. Rooster Rock in Oregon.

Terry has pics of EVERYTHING!!

;);)

I'm pretty sure Terry does have some photos of bare breasts here in Oslo! They just happen to be of the bronze and stone variety. ;)

To the OP, do not go to Vigelands Park if you're in town!!!

First of all, if it's sunny and warm, there are plenty of women who sunbathe in the park and undo their bikini straps to tan their backs. You never know when a repositioning accident might expose some breast tissue.

Second of all, you might find the art distasteful. The whole place is teeming with bare boobies and more!

I chose to link to them, so as not to offend the OP (and because I don't have any really great photos of the park - how did that happen, considering I was there over 30 times this summer alone?!?!), but Terry can share some lovely images with us!

I have read that Scandinavian countries allow topless sunbathing in parks and other public places. Will I likely be subjected to displays of breasts while I'm at the ports and excursions in the summer? :eek:

Hi there,

I don't think it's anything you need to be concerned about. As others have mentioned, people are usually very discreet about it.

When I was just out of high school I went on trip to Spain with a bunch of other students from all over the US and when we'd go to the Univ swimming pool there were girls sunbathing without their tops on. At first it was a little weird for us but after the initial "oh my" it wasn't a big deal. I found it interesting that the European men were staring more at the American women in full swimsuits than they were at the topless European women. The American guys--well, lot's of smiles.

On another occasion my sister and I were on a trip to Cancun and we stopped to ask a woman on the beach for directions and didn't realize until after talking to her for a while that she was topless.

So I guess my point is, I can understand your reservations because we come from a puritan society, but if you don't make a big deal about it, it won't be a big deal.

I know the picture above seems comical, but the statues (in bronze and stone) are part of the Oslo exhibit at the Vigalandsparken. All are nudes, but what a marvelous presentation by Gustav Vigeland and his fellow workers! It is a real treat to see this. I mentioned in my description of Oslo ( http://www.*****.com/oslo ) that at first you are taken back, and then you get kind of used to the idea that our bodies are nothing to be ashamed of and nudes are natural. Go see this display in bronze and stone, a study of our human nature, our lives and suffering (in some cases). Just a couple more pictures of 'agony by a mad person' and a small relief of ‘until death do us part’.

They are my titles, pardon me.

oslo%2029.jpg

oslo%2030.jpg

oslo%2022e.jpg

this has got to be one of the funniest threads I've read in ages.

It is bizarre that a question like this is raised when the US is the birthplace of Playboy and Hustler and cable channels that made even me blush....

Related to this, and obviously because of the wowserish nature of a vocal minority (?), I chuckled when I was watching the first episode of the new series of Survivor.

The producers go out of their way to pick good looking guys and girls and yet when they strip down to their undies or swimmers the editors have to go crazy with the 'blur' - boxer short fronts, bikinis that show a bit too much boob, heaven forbid some bum crack.

So glad I live in a more liberated country, and we're nowhere near as liberated as Europe.

It's very simple:

you stay away - or you are welcome to come and respect local culture which includes top-free sunbathing in the summer.

We have to respect the culture in the USA/Canada: that's why I do not go naked to a steam bath in the US and wearing bathing shorts.

And when you come to Europe you just accept it here like it is or you stay onboard.

Or you make a cruise to Dubai and you can be sure that you do not see any naked skin.

Regards

HeinBloed

this has got to be one of the funniest threads I've read in ages.

It is bizarre that a question like this is raised when the US is the birthplace of Playboy and Hustler and cable channels that made even me blush....

Related to this, and obviously because of the wowserish nature of a vocal minority (?), I chuckled when I was watching the first episode of the new series of Survivor.

The producers go out of their way to pick good looking guys and girls and yet when they strip down to their undies or swimmers the editors have to go crazy with the 'blur' - boxer short fronts, bikinis that show a bit too much boob, heaven forbid some bum crack.

So glad I live in a more liberated country, and we're nowhere near as liberated as Europe.

I am also a big fan of Survivor, and noticed the exact same thing at the beginning of this season. they want as much 'skin' to be exposed as possible, yet when dare we say, TOO MUCH is shown they blurr it out.

I guess the 'prudes' do control these things.

Cheers

Len

It's very simple:

you stay away - or you are welcome to come and respect local culture which includes top-free sunbathing in the summer.

We have to respect the culture in the USA/Canada: that's why I do not go naked to a steam bath in the US and wearing bathing shorts.

And when you come to Europe you just accept it here like it is or you stay onboard.

Or you make a cruise to Dubai and you can be sure that you do not see any naked skin.

Regards

HeinBloed

Amen to that!

On another occasion my sister and I were on a trip to Cancun and we stopped to ask a woman on the beach for directions and didn't realize until after talking to her for a while that she was topless.

LOL I am absolutely positive, therefore, that like your sister you are also female!!

If an American male made that statement I would question his veracity seriously ... ;)

Archived