Can we make a 10:45am flight?

HELP!!! Unfortunately we just got our 3rd airline change again yesterday and I am being told by the folks at American Airlines that the latest flight they have leaving Ft Lauderdale on Thursday Nov 25th is at 10:45am. They tried to put us on the 7:30am flight which I spent over 1 1/2 hours on the phone yesterday trying to get it changed (kind of hard to make a 7:30am flight when we don't disembark until 8am). I am just furious. We booked our flights in January so we could choose the dates/times that worked for us. I just cannot believe the crap they pull....They even had the nerve to ask me if we could just stay another day and fly home on Friday???????? So....I need advice from folks who have disembarked at Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale if we can make that 10:45am flight out of Ft Lauderdale Airport?

"Maybe"...but in my past experience Ft. Lauderdale is one of the latest ports to disembark from & I'm D+ C&A...and you are adding to the possible delay by flying on Thanksgiving Day...Since the problem is caused by the airline they should allow you to cancel & get a refund..that is "if" you can find another reasonable flight on another airline...if not...IS staying over another day a possible option? If so..I would push for at least the airline paying your hotel bill...I know it's frustrating to book flights months in advance only to watch them change repeatedly before flight time...

Remember, that's Thanksgiving Day. :D As long as the ship is not delayed due to mechanical/medical reasons and that it is cleared by Customs & Immigration on time.......you just might make it.

IMHO, I would stay over, have a nice turkey dinner somewhere and fly home on Friday.

Tough position ... you "should" be able to make it, but who knows what the customs situation will be on a holiday. I believe last time I left FLL on Thanksgiving, I made it over to the airport around 9:30 or so doing self-debarkation. The worst part was lots of people were doing self-debarkation on that cruise, and many did not seem to actually be able to control their bags, making the line horrible.

Nobody can say if you can make it or not. If the ship arrives on time and customs is not slow in clearing the ship, you should make it no problem. However you do not have a lot of wiggle room for delays. If it were me I would insist on a later flight. One option may be to see if they can put you on an early afternoon flight out of MIA instead of FLL. You should also see if any other airlines have later flights out of FLL at a reasonable price; if so then see if American will allow you to cancel your flight for no fee because of the changes they made.

Nobody can say if you can make it or not. If the ship arrives on time and customs is not slow in clearing the ship, you should make it no problem. However you do not have a lot of wiggle room for delays. If it were me I would insist on a later flight. One option may be to see if they can put you on an early afternoon flight out of MIA instead of FLL. You should also see if any other airlines have later flights out of FLL at a reasonable price; if so then see if American will allow you to cancel your flight for no fee because of the changes they made.

Great suggestions by everyone, thank you for taking the time to post. If it were just me and my kids I would have no problem staying another day but this cruise is with my Mom, 3 sisters and 2 friends all of which are mother's with young kids/husbands/jobs/etc for which staying another day is just won't work. I just cannot believe American Airlines would cancel/drop all of their flights out of Ft Lauderdale after 1045am on a holiday? Something is just not right here...You know, even with the best laid plans you are at the mercy of the airlines. We are not going to let this ruin our vacation and will hope for the best and "go with the punches"

I just cannot believe American Airlines would cancel/drop all of their flights out of Ft Lauderdale after 1045am on a holiday? Something is just not right here...

Many airlines reduce schedules on holidays because most people don't want to fly on the actual holidays. If you told us your destination it might help us give you better advice.

Also, did you ask about alternative flights out of MIA. I believe FLL and MIA are considered co-terminals and AA will usually let you switch in this kind of situation. Most likely there are more flights out of MIA since it is one of AA's hubs.

HELP!!! Unfortunately we just got our 3rd airline change again yesterday and I am being told by the folks at American Airlines that the latest flight they have leaving Ft Lauderdale on Thursday Nov 25th is at 10:45am. They tried to put us on the 7:30am flight which I spent over 1 1/2 hours on the phone yesterday trying to get it changed (kind of hard to make a 7:30am flight when we don't disembark until 8am). I am just furious. We booked our flights in January so we could choose the dates/times that worked for us. I just cannot believe the crap they pull....They even had the nerve to ask me if we could just stay another day and fly home on Friday???????? So....I need advice from folks who have disembarked at Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale if we can make that 10:45am flight out of Ft Lauderdale Airport?

Yes, you can. Arrange to be the first group off. (no need to carry your own luggage off)..As you head into the luggage terminal hold up a tip and grab a porter. He will get your luggage and have you out the door in no time and get you a taxi. Well worth a 10. We have done this many times ;)

Many airlines reduce schedules on holidays because most people don't want to fly on the actual holidays. If you told us your destination it might help us give you better advice.

Also, did you ask about alternative flights out of MIA. I believe FLL and MIA are considered co-terminals and AA will usually let you switch in this kind of situation. Most likely there are more flights out of MIA since it is one of AA's hubs.

Not sure where OP is flying to but did look at flights back to my local airport and also no afternoon or evening flights, so, I guess it is a holiday thing. As noted Miami maybe an alternative the OP should look into.

Sorry, I forgot to say we are flying back to Des Moines, Iowa. I hadn't thought about looking at outbound flights from Miami. That may be an option but then we need to arrange transportation to Miami which takes time/money/etc. I think we will just take our chances with our 10:45am flight. I can tell you I will never book American Airlines again....Horrible customer service.

American is FAMOUS for changing/cancelling flights...I no longer book with them unless they are the ONLY option!

And see, I've generally had the worst problems with flight schedule changes from Delta. Most of the legacies change their schedules at least 4 times a year. If you book far in advance, you are opening yourself up to schedule changes on any airline.

Sorry' date=' I forgot to say we are flying back to Des Moines, Iowa. I hadn't thought about looking at outbound flights from Miami. That may be an option but then we need to arrange transportation to Miami which takes time/money/etc. I think we will just take our chances with our 10:45am flight. I can tell you I will never book American Airlines again....Horrible customer service.[/quote']

There's a 12:20 flight out of MIA connecting at DFW to DSM if you are interested.

Keri - We've flown on Thanksgiving many times and it's usually a mellow time to fly, especially later in the morning. I think we are on the same flight...and by choice due to the fact it was Thanksgiving Day. Obviously if something goes amiss it will be a problem but I'm usually at the airport by 9 no matter where I've docked and or how far the airport is away. You'll just need to be up and ready to go and janetz suggestion of grabbing a porter makes short work of getting through customs and getting a taxi. If this stresses you out then you should see what American will do for you later in the day or get a full refund so you can book a different carrier. I don't know about IA but the Calif. flights have all been within $50 of each other. Which ship are you on?

Keri - We've flown on Thanksgiving many times and it's usually a mellow time to fly, especially later in the morning. I think we are on the same flight...and by choice due to the fact it was Thanksgiving Day. Obviously if something goes amiss it will be a problem but I'm usually at the airport by 9 no matter where I've docked and or how far the airport is away. You'll just need to be up and ready to go and janetz suggestion of grabbing a porter makes short work of getting through customs and getting a taxi. If this stresses you out then you should see what American will do for you later in the day or get a full refund so you can book a different carrier. I don't know about IA but the Calif. flights have all been within $50 of each other. Which ship are you on?

We are sailing on the Navigator of the Seas November 20th-25th for my 40th birthday! So looking forward to this cruise....I think we will make the 1045am flight. We are not going to stress about this as it's at the end of our vacation.

We are sailing on the Navigator of the Seas November 20th-25th for my 40th birthday! So looking forward to this cruise....I think we will make the 1045am flight. We are not going to stress about this as it's at the end of our vacation.

Ha...we're on the same ship...maybe we can make a run for it during disembarkation! Are you platinum or above, you can disembark from the Crown & Anchor area.

Ha...we're on the same ship...maybe we can make a run for it during disembarkation! Are you platinum or above, you can disembark from the Crown & Anchor area.

That's so funny Sharon! You will notice us for sure...we'll be the group of 7 "young" ladies making a run for it with our luggage! LOL...You know it's at the end of what will hopefully be a great vacation so we are going to try not to stress about it. Have you done the Navigator before?

I have been on the Mariner of the Seas before. We have 3 balcony rooms all on the 8th floor. 2 connecting and one aft. Can't wait! Got our docs today and I'm doing the doc dance :)

Archived