Is it always a mistake to book air with the cruise line?

fletcher57

Hi, I just read a post under "rookie mistakes" about somebody who said one of her mistakes was to book air with the cruise line (in her case it was NCL). Is it always a mistake to book air through the cruise line or are some cruise lines better than others? The reason I ask is that some last-minute deals (which I will be looking for next summer for Alaska) include air and I definitely do not want to make a mistake on a major cruise purchase. Thanks.

if all you are considering is price, then the cruise air will almost always be more expensive, except as noted by the previous post. it pays to shop around.

one benefit to cruise air is you can cancel it without penalty until final payment (unless, of course, your TA has penalties).

Besides being more expensive, I have heard they don't give you your flight info until a few weeks before your cruise. Also by booking your own flight, you can pick the flight times that suit your schedule and also how many stops if any along the way. We like to fly in a day or 2 before the cruise, so always get our own air.

Mistake?

Never a mistake, just not always the only or proper option.

Go to the Cruise Air forum and read the sticky about cruise air and air deviation. You'll become very knowlegable about air packages and will be able to make a more informed decision about what works for you.

Also consider that many cruise lines are getting away from the traditional cruise air that is added to your cruise reservation and can be cancelled without penalty before final payment is due. They have been switching to a choice air type system where you buy and pay for the air portion in a separate transaction and own the reservation. If you need to change it or cancel, it will cost or even be lost.

We've done it twice. Once with Celebrity when their price was $200 less than I was able to get, (Venice-Barcelona) included transfers, and I used CC custom air to pick my flights.

Second time was with Holland. Air was included in the incredibly inexpensive price for our Alaska cruise. We got the exact same AA flights I would have booked. Cruise and air in a VB balcony was $1199. I couldn't pass that one up..... The rest of the time I haven't found any reason to book cruise air.

We have found that many times cruise air can be less expensive, for cruises that do not use RT air (Round trip we always book privately as it is usually much less expensive). But the trick is to pay the deviation fee and have more control over your flights. If you leave it solely in the hands of the cruise line, you could end up with mulitiple connections and long layovers. With the deviation fee, you can avoid many of these and at times it is still less expensive than booking it yourself. You have to do a lot of research first to see which would benefit you most, $$$$ wise.

Hi Opera Fan, I would like to know more about your Alaskan cruise with Holland. Could you please e-mail me at joycekeay(at)comcast.net. Thannks.

Joyce Keay

We've done it twice. Once with Celebrity when their price was $200 less than I was able to get, (Venice-Barcelona) included transfers, and I used CC custom air to pick my flights.

Second time was with Holland. Air was included in the incredibly inexpensive price for our Alaska cruise. We got the exact same AA flights I would have booked. Cruise and air in a VB balcony was $1199. I couldn't pass that one up..... The rest of the time I haven't found any reason to book cruise air.

Is it always a mistake to book air through the cruise line or are some cruise lines better than others?
No, it is not always a mistake. But (like all things in life) you need to know what you're getting if you book through the cruise line (and what you're getting if you don't), and compare the prices, differences and risks. And then make a decision.

For example, most of my fly-cruises include air travel booked by the cruise line. But then, I'm booking from the UK; the cruise line lets me choose my flights at the time that I book; it doesn't charge any fees for doing that unless I change the days on which I fly; it splits the booking into a standalone booking with the airline so I can manage it as if it were a direct booking with the airline; and booking flights as well as the cruise gives me EU package travel protection. All of those things together make it a no-brainer to book through the cruise line.

But for most situations that people ask about here, I would be booking separately.

Hi OperaFan, I have never used Holland so would like to know more about them strong points, weak points, recommended land excursions, how is the buffet, whatever you can tell me. Thanks.

Hi Joyce... I'll be happy to.... What type of info are you looking for?

No, it is not always a mistake. But (like all things in life) you need to know what you're getting if you book through the cruise line (and what you're getting if you don't), and compare the prices, differences and risks. And then make a decision.

For example, most of my fly-cruises include air travel booked by the cruise line. But then, I'm booking from the UK;

But for most situations that people ask about here, I would be booking separately.

Good advice.... but since you're from the UK, you're booking experiences really have no validity for US residents. As I understand it, you have many more restrictions on cancellation penalties etc (for the cruise). Being in NA we have much more control over our air choices, and cancellation penalties. I think (here) it's almost always better to book air separate (more control).

Thus your last sentence is what everyone should pay attention to!

Good advice.... but since you're from the UK, you're booking experiences really have no validity for US residents.
I know, which was why I was careful to identify that. But it demonstrates that the answer to the question "Is it always a mistake?" is "No". Sometimes, it can be better. It depends, and there is no lazy shortcut way of avoiding the thinking that you need to do to get the answer.

Hi, I just read a post under "rookie mistakes" about somebody who said one of her mistakes was to book air with the cruise line (in her case it was NCL). Is it always a mistake to book air through the cruise line or are some cruise lines better than others? The reason I ask is that some last-minute deals (which I will be looking for next summer for Alaska) include air and I definitely do not want to make a mistake on a major cruise purchase. Thanks.

Not anymore.

This is no longer the case. At least not with Celebrity/Azamara (and I guess RCCL) Choice Air. You are just using them as any booking site and fares are identical to what I have found on ITA or other software. What's nice is you plug in your booking number and flights for your dates pop up. You can then move the dates to come in pre-cruise or post cruise. You are paying right than for the airfare, not at final payment date though.

Now this is diff than the Cruise Air that can be canceled before final. For that I would do deviation so that one can pick their flights. I asked Celebrity and they told me the exact flights they were using for same day travel to MIA, but booked on our own because we decided on a flight before 12:00pm (MIA) etc. and they would have given 7:00pm return same day for the best rates.

Archived