New to Carnival--Couple Questions

Escaper

Booking a trip a year out on Valour out of Miami, Western Caribbean itinerary. First time on Carnival, always on Princess previously:

1) Can someone who has cruised both lines give me some comparison information. My impression is that Princess is more laid back and Carnival more "rowdy", but feedback appreciated;

2) Looking at the aft, corner balcony cabin. Any opinions on these? They do not show floorplans like Princess does on there website (or else I did not look in the right place...)

Thanks

Escaper

Have been on many Carnival cruises and only 1 Princess. My general take on it is that Princess was just a little more upscale and did seem to attract an older/calmer crowd. Now that is not to say the Princess "cruisers" weren't having fun.

I would say Carnival is generally a more lively crowd/ship.

Obviously this isn't true in all cases, but just my general take on things.

Carnival is doing a lot of get rid of their "party boat" image.(see post above about being "cut-off" from alcohol consumption. I have never seen big time rowdiness. I have seen people having a great vacation! As for the aft wrap, check out cruisedeckplans.com. You can see the layout/ measurements, etc.

Booking a trip a year out on Valour out of Miami, Western Caribbean itinerary. First time on Carnival, always on Princess previously:

1) Can someone who has cruised both lines give me some comparison information. My impression is that Princess is more laid back and Carnival more "rowdy", but feedback appreciated;

2) Looking at the aft, corner balcony cabin. Any opinions on these? They do not show floorplans like Princess does on there website (or else I did not look in the right place...)

Thanks

Escaper

If you are talking about a 7 day or longer cruise, Carnival's "rowdiness" ended way back in the early 80's.

Short cruises and spring break cruises on any line are pretty much party ships. If you spend a lot of time in the bars, a Carnival cruise and a Princess cruise are exactly the same. If you don't spend a lot of time in the bars, it hardly matters either way.

My opinion is, you get what you pay for. Carnival, IMHO, is a great value for your dollar. Some ships may be older, but I've never seen one in serious disrepair. Unless you're a nautical engineer, who the heck is looking at the ship anyways? You're supposed to be there to have fun and enjoy yourself. Princess is a little more upscale, but we were on a couple of the newer ships. Older crowd on Princess, yes. Old codgers .. . . no. Everybody was having fun. The dining room food was a little better on Princess (again, our opinion), but that is not to say the food on Carnival was bad. Never had a bad meal on Carnival. The only Carnival sailing I would characterize as "rowdy" was the time we absent-mindedly booked a cruise during spring break. WOO HOO! Those college kids really know how to enjoy themselves! We certainly enjoyed our Princess cruises, but our last few have been with Carnival, with no regrets. Whichever you choose, the most important consideration regarding your level of enjoyment is your frame of mind at sail-away. If you plan to have a great time, you will. Just so happens that Carnival also fits my budget better.:rolleyes:

As for corner balcony cabin, I can't help ya there. Don't expect I'll ever be in one of those. As a general rule, about the only time we're in the cabin is the few hours we sleep (although ocean view or balcony is preferable to inside cabin). I think you'll do just fine with Carnival.

Have been on lots of Carnival cruises, the only time I ever saw things get out of hand (sorta) is durning Spring Break...we did spring break one time and never again!! We now stick to sailing in May, kids are still in school and college kids are looking for a summer job, so its more laid back..same can be said for in the fall, though you never know when a Hurricane will pop up. We were on the Dream for a week in july (for sons wedding) and with the exception of a few kids who apparently have parents who let them do anything they want, it wasnt a wild and crazy cruise, just normal people having a good time, didnt see any drunks ect...we did see the oasis pull out of port leaving some girls in their bikinis with no towels as they didnt get back to the ship at the time they were told to be there, Im sure it was not funny to them, and perhaps it was a learning thing. Thats about as wild as it got! Have fun on your next cruise!

Thanks

Escaper

We took our first cruise in 2002 on Princess - 7 days to Alaska. I was 33. my husband 43. I certainly don't call that old! :D especially 8 years later....

My sister and I took a Carnival cruise - 4 days to Bahamas in 2005.

I found Princess to be more upscale. I did not find Carnival rowdy. Both were very enjoyable. We are booked on a Carnival cruise in Jan 2011 (BEYOND EXCITED!!!) We chose that cruise for it's itin and the price.

Bottom line - you are going to have soooooooooo much fun that the name on the side of the ship really doesn't matter! ;) Enjoy!

Princess is owned by CCL. We find Princess to sell to an older crowd. I like the food better on CCL too. You'll find more partying people on CCL and more folks with walkers or electric scooter-wheelchairs on Princess. I've only done 10 plus day cruises on Princess though which attract an even older crowd. But you'll have fun on whatever cruise you choose==just plan to diet for a few weeks or more before a cruise--the foods amazing.

In my opinion Princess ships are a little more upscale as far as decorating goes. Carnival long cruises 6 days or longer are pretty comparable to Princess. Carnival short cruises-- well they are probably great for some but tooo crazy for me. Even my grown daughters were disappointed last year when we took a short cruise--they are seasoned cruisers--we are not really partiers or drink much.

Thanks

Escaper

Can't help with the Princess part but on Carnival's home page near the top is a blue bar. Click on Ships & Life Onboard. There's a drop-down for The Fun Ships. That's where you'll find the ships and deck plans.

If you are talking about a 7 day or longer cruise, Carnival's "rowdiness" ended way back in the early 80's.

Short cruises and spring break cruises on any line are pretty much party ships. If you spend a lot of time in the bars, a Carnival cruise and a Princess cruise are exactly the same. If you don't spend a lot of time in the bars, it hardly matters either way.

There has never been a brownie riot in the lobby of a Carnival ship. A pity Princess can not say the same.

My husband and I have cruised together and my 22 year old daughter and I have taken cruises by ourselves. We have never had big time problems with rowdy, out of control guests. On our last cruise there was a group of HS kids from Mississippi taking a graduation cruise and we thought they were going to be a problem. A few of the girls were a little "over the top" but the boys were very well behaved and sat down with us and told us about their HS when I commented on their school shirts. One cruise the couple next door to our cabin were apparently having a knock down fight one evening but a call to guest services put a quick end to it.

Archived