Things I wonder about the Marina

JimandStan

While I haven't yet sailed on Marina (!), we were opposite the laundry room on two cruises on the Renaissance ships and we never heard any noise at all. There was ONE instance in those 28 days of cruising where there was a happy crowd outside our room in the hallway, but we didn't hear any noise inside our cabin and we had no trouble leaving our room despite the crowd.

I'm not at all sure that being opposite the laundry room is so terrible. On top of that, it was a great way to check on when machines were available ...

If you think it's going to be horrible, then yes, change the cabin. But I was perfectly happy there.

Now that I have screamed--I think it's downright ugly that we didn't know where the laundry rooms were when we booked. I would NEVER get a cabin across from the laundry--but I just moved my daughter's cabin from 9029 to 9041--exactly across from the noise and congestion that can happen at all hours of the day and up into the night.

People that have had cabins on the R ships across from the laundry did not have a problem with noise so I am just guessing the Marina will be as good or better with the sound proofing ...

another plus is that each passenger deck will have a laundry room so you will not have the whole ship lined up there ;)

They do have opening & closing hours so I doubt if they will be open all hours of the night I believe they closed at 10pm or earlier

Do you mean there will be public access at the center of Deck 11 or Deck 7 or both of them? Will that still provide plenty of privacy for the cabins on either side of the public area?

That's 7130 and 7135 on Deck 7 and 11080 and 11083 on Deck 11

Shari gave an explanation in message #20 of this thread

Maybe someone on one of the first cruises will comment when they return

Lyn

I have been wondering why the passenger space starts at Deck 5. There are cabins on Deck 3 on the Regatta. What would they use an entire deck for?

The space you mention on Deck 5, just aft of Red Ginger and Jacques, is the galley. From here, dishes are sent up to the Dining Room on Deck 6 for service to passengers.

While on a tour bus through Genoa last week, did I spy the majesty of Marina? My question is how will they configure the 2 chairs and table at the end of the bed, in the PH, when beds are made into twins? Just wondering?

I wonder about the Internet charges.

Will they be similar to the following, posted by someone on another line:

"Internet available in the rooms.

Rates are as follows.

Internet Access Charges for Internet access are $50 for 120 minutes (2 hours), $200 for 600 minutes (10 hours) and $300 for 1,500 minutes (25 hours)."

I wonder about the Internet charges.

Will they be similar to the following, posted by someone on another line:

"Internet available in the rooms.

Rates are as follows.

Internet Access Charges for Internet access are $50 for 120 minutes (2 hours), $200 for 600 minutes (10 hours) and $300 for 1,500 minutes (25 hours)."

They are more than that now so I do not see them going down

They are more than that now so I do not see them going down

Really? Telephone/Telecommunications/internet access charges, etc. are just the sort of thing that does go down in price over the years. I still remember very much higher prices years ago.

So, then, what are the internet costs on Oceania now?

Why shouldn't the prices go down? Blogs from the ship help market a product.

Really? Telephone/Telecommunications/internet access charges, etc. are just the sort of thing that does go down in price over the years. I still remember very much higher prices years ago.

So, then, what are the internet costs on Oceania now?

This may answer your question ..or not ;)

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/lifestyle/stayintouch.aspx

Those are horribly high prices.

For people who don't want to click, or who would like to quote the actual rates in a future post, Oceania's website lists packages in these amounts:

"Pricing

We offer 6 different rate packages, which include the following:

-$.95 per minute with no package

-100 minutes for $80.00, additional minutes are $.80 per minute

-200 minutes for $140.00, additional minutes are $.70 per minute

-500 minutes for $300.00, additional minutes are $.60 per minute

-800 minutes for $400.00, additional minutes are $.50 per minute

-1,200 minutes for $540.00, additional minutes are $.45 per minute

Package amounts are charged upfront and no refunds will be made for unused minutes. All additional minutes are charged at the same rate level.

---------------------------------------------------------

On another line (a luxury line that has a less expensive per diem than Oceania) the current rates are much, much less:

- 120 minutes for $50

- 600 minutes for $200

-1,500 minutes for $300 (That's 25 hours)

---------------------------------------------------------

On another line (a luxury line that has a less expensive per diem than Oceania) the current rates are much, much less:

- 120 minutes for $50

- 600 minutes for $200

-1,500 minutes for $300 (That's 25 hours)

Those are good rates indeed.

BTW, you are allowed to name the other luxury line.

I am curious to know which luxury line has a lower per diem rates than Oceania.

Oceania Arts & Crafts classes were always free. I haven't seen anything about charges for the Artist Loft classes on the Marina - time will tell........the informarion below is from the "O" website:

Marina offers a hands-on program for budding artists in the Artist Loft, a well-equiped enrichment center, where superbly talented artists-in-residence offer step-by-step instruction in their areas of expertise. You might learn how to paint with watercolors, needlepoint or create phenomenal arts and crafts. The courses are always changing, and with the masters’ guidance, your talents will flourish.

Marion

Oceania Arts & Crafts classes were always free. I haven't seen anything about charges for the Artist Loft classes on the Marina - time will tell........the informarion below is from the "O" website:

Marina offers a hands-on program for budding artists in the Artist Loft, a well-equiped enrichment center, where superbly talented artists-in-residence offer step-by-step instruction in their areas of expertise. You might learn how to paint with watercolors, needlepoint or create phenomenal arts and crafts. The courses are always changing, and with the masters’ guidance, your talents will flourish.

Marion

That is what I read in the brochure...as you say..time will tell..I wasn't really concerned about a charge for the classes...just wanting to see if anyone had more info. ;) LuAnn

I don't have a lot of information, but did talk to the person at O in charge of putting the artist's loft together.

I'm on the Maiden Voyage and wanted to put together a fiber art challenge. The O person responded immediately, was very enthusiastic and helpful, and I believe we're going to see some fiber art supplies on board. Marina Maiden Voyage folks, stay tuned for the fiber art challenge! We're planning on posting it in about three weeks. We're calling it a fiber art challenge because we want to make everyone welcome - quilters, knitters, crocheters, weavers, beaders, fiber and mixed media artists and anyone else who wants to have some fun with your preferred medium while on board.

O's enthusiastic response to my proposal makes me think there are going to be a variety of activities available for that space. They may offer classes for a fee, I don't know. But, based on my e-mails with the O person in charge, I think it's also envisioned as a gathering space for artists to share ideas and inspiration.

Not a lot of information, I know, but hope it at least helps.

Cheers:) Kay

Thanks Kay for taking the lead on this Kay.

It's nice to know "O" is willing to try new things and this is a learning process for them to. I am still looking for my creative side - the only time I am creative is in the kitchen or working with my photography.

I hope the Artist Loft will have different classes available on a daily basis especially on our TA. I will watch for more information.

Marion

I don't have a lot of information, but did talk to the person at O in charge of putting the artist's loft together.

I'm on the Maiden Voyage and wanted to put together a fiber art challenge. The O person responded immediately, was very enthusiastic and helpful, and I believe we're going to see some fiber art supplies on board. Marina Maiden Voyage folks, stay tuned for the fiber art challenge! We're planning on posting it in about three weeks. We're calling it a fiber art challenge because we want to make everyone welcome - quilters, knitters, crocheters, weavers, beaders, fiber and mixed media artists and anyone else who wants to have some fun with your preferred medium while on board.

O's enthusiastic response to my proposal makes me think there are going to be a variety of activities available for that space. They may offer classes for a fee, I don't know. But, based on my e-mails with the O person in charge, I think it's also envisioned as a gathering space for artists to share ideas and inspiration.

Not a lot of information, I know, but hope it at least helps.

Cheers:) Kay

I would love to learn how to knit! Would be super if they offered something for those of us who aren't creative...yet!! :p LuAnn

1. My mother loves to knit..and knits all sorts of things..she'll bring some on the cruise....

2. Privee was offered at $100 per person. I don't think that's a bad deal at all. Our problem was that we are not cruising with 10 people...so we weren't going to plop down $1000 for 4 people....oh well!

Archived