Formal Nights On Princess

C at Sea

I'm glad to see that the majority of people agree with me. We flew from UK with 1 suitcase each of 23kg. My hubbie took his tux and I took a pair of floaty evening trousers and 2 sparkly tops. On both formal nights we stood out in our section of the restaurant, except for our table companions. They were from Scotland and had done other Princess cruises, again flying from UK. But said they always dressed to the code on formal nights out of principle. After all there are other cruise lines that offer a more casual approach. I think other than the much higher prices of things onboard on Princess, the following of the dress code was the main difference we found between our usual P&O cruises and this latest Princess one.

We love the formal nights on board and are saddened to see it diminish. I think it may be in part to the freedom style dining. When we are on set dining I feel like I am dressing for the table companions aswell.

Each to their own, but I think in the main dining room the dress code should be enforced. If it isn't then why have it at all?

The way things are going cruise ships are going to be like Cancun in 10 years.

Just my opinion.

Matthew

Society as a whole is much more informal than it used to be. Where you used to see suits and ties in offices, now you are just as likely to see executives wearing jeans and a blazer.
Not sure where you are from but I would narrow your observation to "American society." Most countries outside the US continue to place more emphasis on looking nice, even elegant, than personal "comfort."

While I enjoy formal nights, there are times I don't feel like dressing up. On those nights, I either go to the buffet or a specialty restaurant.

Well this is disappointing, we are taking our first cruise in November and I love to see my wife get dressed up in an evening gown because she is amazingly beautiful but she is one who gets a little nervous if she is out of place. I think she needs an excuse to wear this very expensive red dress that she has only wore once so she'll definitely wear it but I think it'll be disappointing for her if she is "over dressed" that she might feel awkward wearing another evening gown on the second formal night.

I am approaching it much like we are going out to a very nice dinner, I would never wear jeans if I went and ate at one of the celebrity chef's places on Las Vegas Blvd (sorry we live in Las Vegas) so I would never do so on a night that is deemed "formal". We don't have much reason or the money to take part in such nice evenings normally so these two nights are going to be fun for us. Even though due to monetary reasons I will not be wearing a tux but I will have a dark suit with a tie my wife is going to be dressed up like she is in the Miss Universe pageant.

Well this is disappointing, we are taking our first cruise in November and I love to see my wife get dressed up in an evening gown because she is amazingly beautiful but she is one who gets a little nervous if she is out of place. I think she needs an excuse to wear this very expensive red dress that she has only wore once so she'll definitely wear it but I think it'll be disappointing for her if she is "over dressed" that she might feel awkward wearing another evening gown on the second formal night.

I am approaching it much like we are going out to a very nice dinner, I would never wear jeans if I went and ate at one of the celebrity chef's places on Las Vegas Blvd (sorry we live in Las Vegas) so I would never do so on a night that is deemed "formal". We don't have much reason or the money to take part in such nice evenings normally so these two nights are going to be fun for us. Even though due to monetary reasons I will not be wearing a tux but I will have a dark suit with a tie my wife is going to be dressed up like she is in the Miss Universe pageant.

You definitely won't feel out of place on a Princess ship. The vast majority of people do dress although it's becoming less & less of a requirement in recent years. Don't let the few posts discourage you from dressing as formal as you see fit.

I personally don't care to go all out dressing for the formal evenings but still choose to attend the main dining room since it always has the best selections of food.

Formal nights on cruises are one of my favorite experiences. People today are definitely more informal, including myself. When cruising it doesn't bother me if others choose to go a different route, but it gives us a chance to dress up and feel more attractive.

Thank you. Why can't more on here take this attitude; live and let live?

Why on earth should it bother anyone what someone else chooses to wear or not? If you enjoy dressing, great. But why on earth should it ruin your night to see others choose a different path? Honestly, we are taking our first Princess cruise in April and the snobbish attitude I see from many on these threads toward those who choose not to dress up makes me wonder if I will enjoy the atmosphere on the ship.

Those of you who make reference, veiled or not, equating casual dress to a lack of education and socio-economic levels exhibit a whole new level of 'class'. Seriously; judging a person's character and that of a whole country on the way they dress? I have met some really wealthy and really classy casual dressers and I have met some real trash disguised in expensive clothes.

What happened to the whole reason for vacation? Why should anyone who is paying to be pampered and have a great time feel forced to dress a certain way and fear they will be labeled a Bubba for not turning out in full regalia? It''s one thing to mourn the loss of tradition in society. It's another to get downright condescending over someone else's harmless behavior.

For the record, hubby and I will be dressing appropriately for formal nights, but honestly, I am tempted to wear some jeans with Crocs to the MDR on formal nights, just to watch some people get their knickers in a twist!

Good for you!!!! I don't have a tux but always wear a dark business type suit (and tie) on formal night. I think it lends to the ambience of a "special" night.

Thank you. Why can't more on here take this attitude; live and let live?

Why on earth should it bother anyone what someone else chooses to wear or not? If you enjoy dressing, great. But why on earth should it ruin your night to see others choose a different path? Honestly, we are taking our first Princess cruise in April and the snobbish attitude I see from many on these threads toward those who choose not to dress up makes me wonder if I will enjoy the atmosphere on the ship.

Those of you who make reference, veiled or not, equating casual dress to a lack of education and socio-economic levels exhibit a whole new level of 'class'. Seriously; judging a person's character and that of a whole country on the way they dress? I have met some really wealthy and really classy casual dressers and I have met some real trash disguised in expensive clothes.

What happened to the whole reason for vacation? Why should anyone who is paying to be pampered and have a great time feel forced to dress a certain way and fear they will be labeled a Bubba for not turning out in full regalia? It''s one thing to mourn the loss of tradition in society. It's another to get downright condescending over someone else's harmless behavior.

For the record, hubby and I will be dressing appropriately for formal nights, but honestly, I am tempted to wear some jeans with Crocs to the MDR on formal nights, just to watch some people get their knickers in a twist!

Don't forget the baseball cap!!icon12.gificon10.gif

Nice to see that you still think it is inappropriate not to wear the formal dress on formal night.

Matthew

DITTO Me!!

And that is just my opinion.

BTW - we have never been seated at a table where less than a dark suit was worn by the men. In fact a few times I felt somewhat underdressed as the rest of the men at the table were wearing tuxes.

Actually, I should have put 'appropriately' in quotes to indicate the dripping sarcasm. I am dressing up for hubby only. I don't give a lick about social mores. I applaud anyone who dresses the way they want.

The luggage restrictions will be dictating what we can bring on our cruise in March. We won't be bringing any gowns or formal suit...instead will have dressy pants with formal top and jacket and tie for the hubby. I just don't want to pay the extra luggage fees....

Okay, my head is reeling here. Can someone please explain to me how "dressy pants with formal top" and "jacket and tie" actually take up less room/weigh less in luggage than two dresses and a tuxedo? I mean, come on. This luggage restriction thing has become a total joke. It's been invoked by so many posters for such ludicrous ends that I fully expect to see a post eventually about someone blaming luggage restrictions for refusing to get a passport because of not wanting to be charged a fee for that extra-large wallet to hold said passport.

Actually, I should have put 'appropriately' in quotes to indicate the dripping sarcasm. I am dressing up for hubby only. I don't give a lick about social mores. I applaud anyone who dresses the way they want.

Charming.

...but honestly, I am tempted to wear some jeans with Crocs to the MDR on formal nights, just to watch some people get their knickers in a twist!
Charming response.

It personally doesn't make any difference to me what other people wear but when someone new to Princess or cruising asks a question, I don't bombard them with what they can get away with or tell them to ignore the cruiseline's guidelines. They are asking a legitimate question, not asking others to judge (on either side of the issue) so I attempt to answer based on my observations and experience. Everyone's experience is different so there is often more than one answer to a question.

Exactly my point Pam! I have no problem with people who live and let live. Actually, what I find 'charming' is choosing to see the inner person; giving them a chance regardless of what they are wearing, where they live, what they do for a living; all of those useless extraneous social things. I also did not say I would dress down; but that the condescension I see again and again on these dress code threads makes me engage in a little naughty wishful thinking and smile. I've seen this attitude again and again and I just couldn't keep my mouth shut any more; just my opinion, to which I am entitled as is everyone else.

Bottom line: I shall choose to skip the dress threads in the future, as they make me sad; sad that there appears to be such a pervasive attitude of snobbery out there, in particular on Princess. Again, it makes me wonder what kind of atmosphere will be present on the ship and whether or not I will enjoy it. In the end, I'll make the choice to enjoy my cruise, I'll just ignore those who offend me as I choose to do in life.

Hello All,

Hope this work first time I try to put a pic on this site :-) So this is what we like to look on Formal Night and we don't care about the others.

see ya

Eric

Ruby Princess Nov2010

Sapphire Princess Sep2010

Rccl Adventure Of The Seas April 2010

Carnival Miracle Feb2010

Rccl Oassis of the Seas Feb2010

Rccl Majesty of the Seas Nov2009

Rccl Navigator of Seas Sep2009

Hal Westerdam Nov&Dec2008

Caribbean Princess Nov2007

Sea Princess Nov&Dec 2006

Diamond Princess Apr2005

Rccl Navigator Dec2004

NCL SUN Nov2004

Visit of QM2 Oct2004

Carnival Victory Nov2003

Golden Princess Apr2003

Celebrity Mercury Nov2002

Carnival Elation Nov2001

NCL SKY Nov2000

CIMG0172.jpg.ad9ad0c4179d7e05794e84ea25a4153e.jpg

Not sure where you are from but I would narrow your observation to "American society." Most countries outside the US continue to place more emphasis on looking nice, even elegant, than personal "comfort."

Yes, please do narrow my observation to American society. I am in the Chicago area, but haved lived in and continue to do business in California, where it is more true than ever.

The response that changed my mind about dressing up for formal night (and I am going to go with a suit and tie not a tux) is that people should dress out of consideration for the other people at their table.

If my table mates are going to be dressed formally, I will follow suit. If they are ok with no tie, then I wont wear one (hate ties). If they are more formal and conservative, then I will. I am sharing my meals with them for the week and do not want to be disrespectful of their tastes by not following the dress code. It is simply consideration for my table mates.

Hi All

Next time you see a Scotsman in a kilt, think he has used up about 20kg

of his luggage allowance to get it there.

Thats why we wear nothing under it, we have no more luggage allowance.

yours Shogun

The response that changed my mind about dressing up for formal night (and I am going to go with a suit and tie not a tux) is that people should dress out of consideration for the other people at their table.

If my table mates are going to be dressed formally, I will follow suit. If they are ok with no tie, then I wont wear one (hate ties). If they are more formal and conservative, then I will. I am sharing my meals with them for the week and do not want to be disrespectful of their tastes by not following the dress code. It is simply consideration for my table mates.

It sounds like you do truly believe that in going out of your way to mimic others dress at your table they'll like you more for doing so.

Not that I dislike them, but dressing in the style that pleases them to eat dinner in the same dining room especially for someone you don't know or will ever see again is just to much to care about.

It's really sad that they make judgments whether to like or dislike a person based on how he or she dresses on vacation.

We have just returned from our first Princess cruise on the Crown. We loved it and thought everyone was very friendly:). We were very disappointed, though, with the Formal Nights. You wouldnt have known it was Formal Night to be honest! We felt out of place as we dressed for Formal as we usually dress when on P&O and seemed to be in the minority. I even saw people in casual trousers and jeans! It was a shame because I think it is all part of the cruise experience. Is this the norm on American ships or were we just unlucky?:(

Are you talking about people dressed casually in the MDR are are you talking about generally around the ship i.e. in the bars and other restaurants?

Jayne

It sounds like you do truly believe that in going out of your way to mimic others dress at your table they'll like you more for doing so.

Not that I dislike them, but dressing in the style that pleases them to eat dinner in the same dining room especially for someone you don't know or will ever see again is just to much to care about.

It's really sad that they make judgments whether to like or dislike a person based on how he or she dresses on vacation.

I don't think it is to do with pleasing others, but more of getting in to the spirit of the cruise you have booked. I would be like going on an 18-30 holiday at 45 and saying what's the problem. The answer is there is nothing fundamentaly wrong with your clothing, but it isn't what is expected and promoted in this particular ship or company. Clothes like a tux or a dark suit are what is expected by the cruise company and if you choose to go with the company then you should adhere to it. If you want less formal then there are many alternatives, some cheaper and some more expensive.

I don't understand why people book a certain type of holiday, then go against the company policy.

In my opinion, you should go elsewhere. Find a company that offers what you want.

Matthew

Hi All

Next time you see a Scotsman in a kilt, think he has used up about 20kg

of his luggage allowance to get it there.

Thats why we wear nothing under it, we have no more luggage allowance.

yours Shogun

Lol! :D You go!

I don't think it is to do with pleasing others, but more of getting in to the spirit of the cruise you have booked. I would be like going on an 18-30 holiday at 45 and saying what's the problem. The answer is there is nothing fundamentaly wrong with your clothing, but it isn't what is expected and promoted in this particular ship or company. Clothes like a tux or a dark suit are what is expected by the cruise company and if you choose to go with the company then you should adhere to it. If you want less formal then there are many alternatives, some cheaper and some more expensive.

I don't understand why people book a certain type of holiday, then go against the company policy.

In my opinion, you should go elsewhere. Find a company that offers what you want.

Matthew

But Princess fits my price range & itinerary. I also have too many cruises with them to consider changing at this point and since they give me major perks I continue to sail with them & modify their suggested dress code to a degree. Others might expect everyone to be dressed to their standards but it still doesn't take anything away from them if not everyone conforms. They are still allowed to dress as they choose and I won't hold it against them for doing so. I'm not looking to gain their approval or irritate them but they should accept the fact that not everyone in this world does things the same way.

Their policy is only a suggestion and not a requirement as has been shown over & over many trips. Dress nicely - although not formally (within an acceptable range) & you'll be allowed in any of their dining rooms.

How long before people say well I wear shorts and flip flops on the deck to eat why can't I wear them in the restaurant. This is the attire in 5* resorts in the Maldives so it should be fine.

The reason it isn't right is it isn't within the parameters what is suggested.

The night says Formal so dress formal if you want to use the MDr's or the anytime dining restaurants. If you want to dress another way then go to the horizon.

Matthew

Well Mattosprey, good luck with that. You can bemoan the fact all you want, but people are going to do what they will do and nothing will change that. Why not just accept that so you can relax and enjoy your cruise?:o

Archived