Formal Nights On Princess

C at Sea

We have just returned from our first Princess cruise on the Crown. We loved it and thought everyone was very friendly:). We were very disappointed, though, with the Formal Nights. You wouldnt have known it was Formal Night to be honest! We felt out of place as we dressed for Formal as we usually dress when on P&O and seemed to be in the minority. I even saw people in casual trousers and jeans! It was a shame because I think it is all part of the cruise experience. Is this the norm on American ships or were we just unlucky?:(

Unfortunately, it is more the norm on US oriented ships. The small Princess ships (Ocean, Pacific and Royal) are more formal.
I agree. More and more Americans want to dress all the time as though they were going to McD's. Formal nights are losing their special ambiance.

We don't see as many ball gowns and tuxedos as we used to. But we generally take our tuxedos. The exception was our Alaskan cruise last month--when we went with sport coats and ties because of luggage limitations, and ended up not feeling as out of place as we thought we would. We fit right in. But it's back to the tuxedos on our next cruise because we're flying Southwest and don't have to worry about checking a third bag.

We have just returned from our first Princess cruise on the Crown. We loved it and thought everyone was very friendly:). We were very disappointed, though, with the Formal Nights. You wouldnt have known it was Formal Night to be honest! We felt out of place as we dressed for Formal as we usually dress when on P&O and seemed to be in the minority. I even saw people in casual trousers and jeans! It was a shame because I think it is all part of the cruise experience. Is this the norm on American ships or were we just unlucky?:(

We just returned from a cruise on the Crown also and we were very surprised at how casually people were dressed on formal nights as compared to other Princess cruises we have been on.

Is the lack of formal wear a personal preference or a result of baggage restrictions by the airlines. Before we start our next cruise (departing from Venice) we are going to be driving around Italy for several days. We are not lugging around a suitcase full of formal wear just for two dinners on the ship!

The luggage restrictions will be dictating what we can bring on our cruise in March. We won't be bringing any gowns or formal suit...instead will have dressy pants with formal top and jacket and tie for the hubby. I just don't want to pay the extra luggage fees....

The last cruise that we were on, the Maitre'D asked our table mates to change their attire...he was wearing jeans...he got mad but he did change his clothes. He was not from the US.

We went on a 7 day cruise a few years ago and wanted it to be as relaxing as possible, we decided not to bring any formal wear. We planed to eat in the buffet those nights and retire early as not to spoil others evening. It worked out fine as we even got lobster the one night after we found out it was not available in the buffet, so we went back to the room and ordered it through room service...

I personally do not like getting all dressed up for dinner, just not comfortable in all those clothes, I like the smart casual night the best.. a nice shirt and trousers works for me... maybe a sports coat if necessary........

Society as a whole is much more informal than it used to be. Where you used to see suits and ties in offices, now you are just as likely to see executives wearing jeans and a blazer.

Where people used to dress up for expensive restaurants, broadway shows, etc., people go in with jeans and polo shirts.

People's dress in the Main Dining Rooms on ships, I believe, is just reflecting people's more lax wardrobes shoreside.

My wife and I enjoyed our travels with P&O because of the more formal dress. We found that P&O prices got a little dear for us and when P&O would not honor our Princess cruises for Portunus club status we became Princess loyalists.

Back to the formal question-Much depends on how diligent the folks at the front door (dining room) are. On our last cruise, to Alaksa, I mentioned to the Head Waiter that I was suprised that nothing had been said to the two "gentlemen"?? wearing their baseball hats, one in shorts as well, to dinner on one of our formal night. the response was "OH, I did not see that". Nothing was said to them but they had changed tables (out of our section) by the next evening.:(

Unfortunately, it is becoming the norm for a lot of passengers who now "dress down" as opposed to "dress up" You only have to look at all the tie-less TV presenters and commentators who seem to think they look "cool". Well, Im sorry, but they look most unprofessional. With cruising, it's becoming the same. Me and Mrs hanis have been cruising for years and we have noticed a steady decline in evening formal wear. What really annoys me is passengers who take the time and trouble to dress for dinner, and afterwards they go back to their cabins to change into casual wear for the rest of the evening. How crazy is that!

Society as a whole is much more informal than it used to be. Where you used to see suits and ties in offices, now you are just as likely to see executives wearing jeans and a blazer.

Where people used to dress up for expensive restaurants, broadway shows, etc., people go in with jeans and polo shirts.

People's dress in the Main Dining Rooms on ships, I believe, is just reflecting people's more lax wardrobes shoreside.

Doesn't make it right though!

We've always enjoyed formal nights, but are making the move to eating in one of the specialty restaurants on those nights and it's because of luggage restrictions. One suitcase each to NYC for a 10 day trip, and one suitcase plus a carryon each on our flights Paris-Rome for a 21 day trip. We'll be doing laundry onboard.

Formal nights on cruises are one of my favorite experiences. People today are definitely more informal, including myself. When cruising it doesn't bother me if others choose to go a different route, but it gives us a chance to dress up and feel more attractive.

It's funny, 6 years ago when I retired we had moved from casual Fridays to casual every day. But now I see a very strong movement back into business suits and won't be surprised to see the movement back to more formal dress spill over into cruising. In the meantime I bring along my tux or dinner jacket for cruise formal nights...to us it is tradition.

Doesn't make it right though!

Agreed. I was just making an observation, not a judgment call. I do think tuxedos are a bit much (for me to wear), but no problem for a dark suit and tie (even though I hate ties). Kind of keeps that golden age of travel alive.

As somebody else noted, even tv news is getting in on it. I just saw a reporter doing a story wearing jeans and a denim jacket, which for whatever reason bugged me.

We dress according to the dress code as stated by the cruise line. I still take my tux on Princess and HAL.

I do have to admit, I like Oceania's Country Club Casual dress code very much. It certainly simnplifies packing, and most if not all pasengers look sharp.

We dress according to the dress code as stated by the cruise line. I still take my tux on Princess and HAL.

I do have to admit, I like Oceania's Country Club Casual dress code very much. It certainly simnplifies packing, and most if not all pasengers look sharp.

and Oceania tends to attract a more upscale clientele.

The luggage restrictions will be dictating what we can bring on our cruise in March. We won't be bringing any gowns or formal suit...instead will have dressy pants with formal top and jacket and tie for the hubby. I just don't want to pay the extra luggage fees....

The last cruise that we were on, the Maitre'D asked our table mates to change their attire...he was wearing jeans...he got mad but he did change his clothes. He was not from the US.

How on earth did the Maitre D' possibly see the guys jeans below the table unless someone squealed?

What does a pair of jeans weigh compared to a smart pair of trousers - a lot more.

Not really. About 3 to 4 ounces more but a lot more comfortable.

Archived