Formal Nights On Princess

C at Sea

I don't think it is to do with pleasing others, but more of getting in to the spirit of the cruise you have booked. I would be like going on an 18-30 holiday at 45 and saying what's the problem. The answer is there is nothing fundamentaly wrong with your clothing, but it isn't what is expected and promoted in this particular ship or company. Clothes like a tux or a dark suit are what is expected by the cruise company and if you choose to go with the company then you should adhere to it. If you want less formal then there are many alternatives, some cheaper and some more expensive.

I don't understand why people book a certain type of holiday, then go against the company policy.

In my opinion, you should go elsewhere. Find a company that offers what you want.

Matthew

I could not have said this better myself. ;)

I guess I don't understand why people start these dress code threads, unless just to stir the pot and that is exactly what they do.

The princess answer book clearly spells out what they consider formal and smart casual and it is nowhere stated that it is a suggested dress code. I realize that often the headwaiter at the door will allow less and IMHO he should not. In my 28 Princess cruises it is rather obvious that the overwhelming majority of men wear at the minimum of a dark suit and tie. Of course, there are always one or two individuals that wish to make a statement and bend the dress code to their own liking. This is OK with me since I can choose not to sit with them. However I don't think they should try to swing everyone on this forum over to their way of thinking.

That is my opinion - let the flames begin.

How long before people say well I wear shorts and flip flops on the deck to eat why can't I wear them in the restaurant. This is the attire in 5* resorts in the Maldives so it should be fine.

The reason it isn't right is it isn't within the parameters what is suggested.

The night says Formal so dress formal if you want to use the MDr's or the anytime dining restaurants. If you want to dress another way then go to the horizon.

Matthew

Shorts and flip flops are an acceptable dress anywhere, anytime and people do not wear them at dinner on Princess in the DR. When Princess begins to serve the same entrees in the Horizon there will be an end of the clothing discussions.

btw- Specialty restaurants are always casual even on the suggested formal evenings so even jeans & polo's are fine.

And your point is?

My point is that people who make the excuse of not bringing smart clothes on a cruise because of the weight restrictions on flights often go on to wear jeans, various jeans, for the duration of the cruise.

Well Mattosprey, good luck with that. You can bemoan the fact all you want, but people are going to do what they will do and nothing will change that. Why not just accept that so you can relax and enjoy your cruise?:o

I am relaxed and I will enjoy my cruise. I just wish others wouldn't diminish the experience for me. I choose Princess because it has Formal nights. On those nights I and most others make a great effort to look our best. I feel the edge is taken off it if people are walking around in non-formal attire. As I have said, if the cruise says there are three formal nights then don't book it if you want something different.

The night is Formal, the suggestion is a suggestion of what is considered formal not a suggestion of whether it is a formal night or not.

I think that is where a lot of people get confused. They think formal is a suggestion not the attire.

Matthew

I am relaxed and I will enjoy my cruise. I just wish others wouldn't diminish the experience for me. I choose Princess because it has Formal nights. On those nights I and most others make a great effort to look our best. I feel the edge is taken off it if people are walking around in non-formal attire. As I have said, if the cruise says there are three formal nights then don't book it if you want something different.

The night is Formal, the suggestion is a suggestion of what is considered formal not a suggestion of whether it is a formal night or not.

I think that is where a lot of people get confused. They think formal is a suggestion not the attire.

Matthew

Please correct me if I'm wrong, becasue I haven't sailed Princess yet, but aren't the dress codes for dining, not the entire onboard experience for those evenings? Everything on the Princess website seems to indicate this. We will dress up for dinner, but we like to change into something more comfortable after we eat. Because Celebrity requires that you stay formal all night, that is why we did not consider them for this cruise.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, becasue I haven't sailed Princess yet, but aren't the dress codes for dining, not the entire onboard experience for those evenings? Everything on the Princess website seems to indicate this. We will dress up for dinner, but we like to change into something more comfortable after we eat. Because Celebrity requires that you stay formal all night, that is why we did not consider them for this cruise.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I believe that formal wear is for public areas after 6pm.

Matthew

You're correct. They're suggestions are for the dining room only. If you choose to walk around the ship in shorts all day and night long, it's perfectly acceptable.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I believe that formal wear is for public areas after 6pm.

Matthew

They gave up that idea about 8 years ago. You should consider Cunard. From what I understand they have a much more formal dress code which might be more to your liking and I doubt if you's see people walking around in the evening dressed in shorts or jeans.

They gave up that idea about 8 years ago. You should consider Cunard. From what I understand they have a much more formal dress code which might be more to your liking and I doubt if you's see people walking around in the evening dressed in shorts or jeans.

I think that it's people who don't want to follow Princess guidelines that should be looking for another cruise line. We are the ones who choose Princess for what it says, not who get there and then make their own rules.

Matthew

I guess I don't understand why people start these dress code threads, unless just to stir the pot and that is exactly what they do.

I started this dress code thread not to stir anything up but out of a genuine interest as to whether more casual dress is the norm on American ships. Last weeks cruise on the Crown Princess was our first cruise with Princess. I enjoy Formal nights, not cos I'm snob but because I like dressing up and dont have all that many occasions to do so other than on a cruise. Surely if the code says formal dress you follow it. Thats why we chose Princess for that particular cruise instead of another more casual line offering a similar route. You choose what suits you and you expect it to happen! If I'd have wanted casual I would have chosen a different company. Thats not because I want to look superior or dictate to others its because I am endorsing whats being offered as an experience to me and it does become a little disappointing when that experience is diminished!

I think that it's people who don't want to follow Princess guidelines that should be looking for another cruise line. We are the ones who choose Princess for what it says, not who get there and then make their own rules.

Matthew

It just sounds as though you would be much happier sailing on a more formal cruise line....not that Princess isn't that formal but it seems they don't enforce the rules to your satisfaction.

I'm perfectly happy with the way things are today- just dressy enough & yet, not too formal with jeans being allowed on casual evenings. Their dress suggestions leave an opening for just about anything decent which is what I really believe they intended all along. They're trying to satisfy everyone & not chase away any business in the process.

Hi C at sea

There was nothing wrong with your question, and it was a fair question to ask,

I have found such a difference between cruises with Princess we do a lot of b2b last year we did Quebec to Ft L and then onto Ft L to Caribbean

what a difference first bit of cruise was full of older passengers , more formal, ship was crowded, second half was party like.

yours Shogun

Sometime I have to laugh out loud when I read some of these post. Ok lets see....you spend hundreds if not over a thousand to fly, spend thousands to cruise, hundreds for excursions, drinks, gifts, cabs,tips etc.... but god forbid you spend $35 more for luggage so you can enjoy the cruise experience. Lets face it the money is not the issue! I myself will be in tux, my wife in formal gown, son in suit and tie, daughter in evening dress and will lap up the entire experience. I just dont understand knowing going in that it is formal night and walking into the dinning room in Sizzler attire.

Matthew

You're wrong.

Matthew

What it says, is "Guests who wish to have a casual dinner on formal nights can take advantage of our casual dining options." You appear to be the one making rules--for other people.

You're wrong.

What it says, is "Guests who wish to have a casual dinner on formal nights can take advantage of our casual dining options." You appear to be the one making rules--for other people.

You are missing the point. This is about people using the Main dining rooms in non-formal attire on formal nights.

The answer I gave to the prior question did come with the caveat that I might be wrong and would be corrected if so.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I believe that formal wear is for public areas after 6pm. That is what I wrote. This was not a statement of fact, but what I believed to be true. And I think I made that quite clear.

Try reading the post before posting a nasty comment.

I started this dress code thread not to stir anything up but out of a genuine interest as to whether more casual dress is the norm on American ships. Last weeks cruise on the Crown Princess was our first cruise with Princess. I enjoy Formal nights, not cos I'm snob but because I like dressing up and dont have all that many occasions to do so other than on a cruise. Surely if the code says formal dress you follow it. Thats why we chose Princess for that particular cruise instead of another more casual line offering a similar route. You choose what suits you and you expect it to happen! If I'd have wanted casual I would have chosen a different company. Thats not because I want to look superior or dictate to others its because I am endorsing whats being offered as an experience to me and it does become a little disappointing when that experience is diminished!

I can nderstand that, but it seems that a new dress code thread appears about once a week and a minority few have to jump in and make their attempt to convince others that formal is not formal!!!

As I mentioned earlier in all of our cruises I see men in tuxes and/or dark suit (with tie) wearing their coat while dining.

You are missing the point. This is about people using the Main dining rooms in non-formal attire on formal nights.

The answer I gave to the prior question did come with the caveat that I might be wrong and would be corrected if so.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I believe that formal wear is for public areas after 6pm. That is what I wrote. This was not a statement of fact, but what I believed to be true. And I think I made that quite clear.

Try reading the post before posting a nasty comment.

You are correct. The Patter states that dress for the night is either formal or smart casual. It does not limit it to the MDR.

I suggest separating the dining rooms by attire. One will be for those who wish to wear ripped shorts and stained t-shirts with beer logos. Another dining room will only allow those in top hat & tails. Finally, the biggest dining room will be for those who just want to enjoy a nice meal without trying to make a statement to the entire ship. ;)

Sometime I have to laugh out loud when I read some of these post. Ok lets see....you spend hundreds if not over a thousand to fly, spend thousands to cruise, hundreds for excursions, drinks, gifts, cabs,tips etc.... but god forbid you spend $35 more for luggage so you can enjoy the cruise experience. Lets face it the money is not the issue! I myself will be in tux, my wife in formal gown, son in suit and tie, daughter in evening dress and will lap up the entire experience. I just dont understand knowing going in that it is formal night and walking into the dinning room in Sizzler attire.

That's your choice but don't expect everyone to follow your lead. There are some who believe it a vacation & not an inaugural ball.

You are correct. The Patter states that dress for the night is either formal or smart casual. It does not limit it to the MDR.

I think you should review the Answer Book once more. The dress code (suggested as it is) pertains to the dining room only.

It sounds like you do truly believe that in going out of your way to mimic others dress at your table they'll like you more for doing so.

Not that I dislike them, but dressing in the style that pleases them to eat dinner in the same dining room especially for someone you don't know or will ever see again is just to much to care about.

It's really sad that they make judgments whether to like or dislike a person based on how he or she dresses on vacation.

Going out of my way to mimic others? Really? No. I said I would NOT wear a tux, but a dark suit. If everybody at the table is more lax re a tie, then I would probably not wear one. If everybody else wears a tux I am not going to rent one, I will stick with the suit and tie I bring. I am not trying to please anybody, rather I am being courteous of others at my table. If they choose to wear blazers or suits on smart casual nights, I will not change to please them.

There is a big difference between being respectful of others and going out of my way to please people. If you are somehow allowed in with jeans and button up shirt on formal night, I think that is being rude to the table mates who are enjoying their evening by dressing up.

I don't care if I never see somebody again, I will be just as courteous to them as a friend I have known for years. Sounds like you may not share that view.

[/font]

I think you should review the Answer Book once more. The dress code (suggested as it is) pertains to the dining room only.

I think you should review my post again thouroughly. You will notice that I made no mention of the "answer book". My reference was to the first page of the daily patter. I just looked at a current one and it states "Tonight's dress: Formal". Apologies accepted!icon10.gif

It absolutely limits it to the MDR.

Quoting Princess Answer Book:

"When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all guests

-Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women

-Tuxedo, dark suit, or dinner jacket and slacks for men"

(for those that don't know a dinner jacket is a tux jacket and not a blazer or sports coat)

It absolutely limits it to the MDR.

Quoting Princess Answer Book:

"When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all guests

-Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women

-Tuxedo, dark suit, or dinner jacket and slacks for men"

(for those that don't know a dinner jacket is a tux jacket and not a blazer or sports coat)

Would you please review my post again and tell me where I quoted from the "answer book"???? I just read it again and I think I clearly stated that on the first page of the patter it states "Tonights dress:formal".

Again - Apologies accepted gratiously!

Archived