Who's done a private party onboard?

FliLady

I'm wondering if it's possible to have a private party for a group of 9 onboard the Ruby. I read on another post that it was 15pp for an hour and they reserve a small area for you and it's all you can drink. Has anyone done this and what was your experience with it?

We did a private party for about 20 people for my father-in-law's retirement. They ship set aside an area in the back of the Explorer's Lounge. I don't remember that it was a fixed fee with all you can drink. In fact I'm sure it wasn't. We paid for drinks and hors d'ouerves (I can never remember how to spell that word). I mean it was all put on one check and we paid for it as his present -- on our room charge. Princess went out of their way to make it special. We got more food, actually, than what we were charged for. It was really a nice celebration.

I've been to private parties but never organized one. They have slways been a large group. Nine wouldn't qualify as there are often many groups of families or affinity groups with 50 or more people. Your best bet is to have a party in one of the cabins and order drinks and hors d'oeurves, which must be ordered ahead of time.

According to my Travel Agent, the minimum number of passengers for a TA to book a party with either just drinks or drinks and hot cold canapés is 32. This may give you some idea of what Princess requires in terms of the minimum number of passengers for this type of event. 15 or 20 sounds reasonable for a passenger to book this type of event themselves.

I'm wondering if it's possible to have a private party for a group of 9 onboard the Ruby. I read on another post that it was 15pp for an hour and they reserve a small area for you and it's all you can drink. Has anyone done this and what was your experience with it?

We had a private party for a group of 9 - but, we had it in our mini-suite. Believe it or not - with the balcony space with the 4 chairs and the sofa and chair inside, we had enough space to be comfortable and relax. We ordered a variety of h'ors d'oeuvres/snacks from room service and a few bottles of alcohol, plus we had brought a case of wine with us. We also asked room service for additional drink and wine glasses. It was easy and worked out great.

I do it almost every cruise. It's very easy. You contact Princess in advance - the Onboard Services Coordinator. She will send you a price sheet for you to choose what you want. I'm not sure what the minimum number of people is but for our last one we did it for 15 passengers. I'm sure 9 will be ok. Here is our confirmation for our last cruise.

Party:

DATE: March 31, 2010

TIME: 4:00pm – 5:00pm

PLACE: Skywalkers Nightclub

REQ: One hour open bar premium @ $15.00 per person x 15 passengers = $225.00

Domestic & Imported Cheese @ $12.00 per tray x 1 = $12.00

Vegetable Platter w/ cheese dip @ $15.00 per tray x 1 = $15.00

15% gratuity = $37.80

TOTAL AMOUNT DUE: $289.80

Here's how it works. You pay per person IN ADVANCE. They reserve an area for you and supply a bartender and server. When they say one hour, that is what they mean. So you arrive on time, order a drink immediately and order one at 1 minute to the cut off time. We usually order mixed drinks along with a row of shots. It's a flat rate and a lot of fun. In our case for the 15 people we had 2 bartenders and 2 servers. We kept them hopping too. I usually meet with the bartender a little before the party to let them know what I expect. What I expect is for them to serve us in a timely manner (we one time didn't have a single drink 20 minutes into the party) and that we will be doing shots, so to make sure they have enough shot glasses on hand to cover us. I usually leave an extra $20 tip or so depending on how well they serve us during the hour. I think our last cruise we were very happy - and they got a lot more then $20 LOL. Its a fun way to try out new drinks that you wouldn't normally drink because you don't want to spend $7 on a drink you might hate.

I think its one of the best deals they've got going.

I do it almost every cruise. It's very easy. You contact Princess in advance - the Onboard Services Coordinator. She will send you a price sheet for you to choose what you want. I'm not sure what the minimum number of people is but for our last one we did it for 15 passengers. I'm sure 9 will be ok. Here is our confirmation for our last cruise.

Party:

15% gratuity = $37.80

Here's how it works. You pay per person IN ADVANCE. They reserve an area for you and supply a bartender and server. When they say one hour, that is what they mean. So you arrive on time, order a drink immediately and order one at 1 minute to the cut off time. We usually order mixed drinks along with a row of shots. It's a flat rate and a lot of fun. In our case for the 15 people we had 2 bartenders and 2 servers. We kept them hopping too. I usually meet with the bartender a little before the party to let them know what I expect. What I expect is for them to serve us in a timely manner (we one time didn't have a single drink 20 minutes into the party) and that we will be doing shots, so to make sure they have enough shot glasses on hand to cover us. I usually leave an extra $20 tip or so depending on how well they serve us during the hour. I think our last cruise we were very happy - and they got a lot more then $20 LOL. Its a fun way to try out new drinks that you wouldn't normally drink because you don't want to spend $7 on a drink you might hate.

Very, very interesting. Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

On our Island Princess cruise in April 2010, I had a private party in my suite for the Cruise Critic members. I also invited the senior staff to the party and most showed. I was told the captain was trying to make the party but unfortunately he couldn't. I chose the last sea day at 2 pm for a 2 hour get together to review our experiences. I met with the food and beverage person a few days before and ordered food and drinks. They came to my room and looked at the layout and figured how to layout the spread. The suite next to us was our friends we were traveling with so we had about 40 feet of deck to work with. Princess set up a bar with a nice selection. Princess provided a bartender, waiter and bar back for the party. If you should do a party like this there is a 15% gratuity added to the bill for food and beverages. I also gave each of the staff a $20.00 tip each. Any food that is left over goes to the staff lounge for them to enjoy. Princess staff also took care of the cleanup. PRINCESS was great. The following YOUTUBE has pictures of the party and pictures of the meet and greet. The party pics are about in the middle of the slideshow. When you get to this link if you go to my name I have about 10 other slideshow and videos. The Sabatini's fun 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGdDs7Rbi50&feature=related

Party:

15% gratuity = $37.80

I will check into this plan on the Emerald for our cruise critic group. I am not in a suite this time but a mini so there will not be as much room to work with.

Just remember ONE person pays the entire bill before the cruise. In our case it was family/friends so I knew I would get reimbursed. But if you say 20 people, you pay for 20 people even if 2 show up. And you can't add in extra after you get on the ship. This is strictly a "pay in advance" affair. If you set up the party on board it is pay per drink - not hour.

On our Island Princess cruise in April 2010, I had a private party in my suite for the Cruise Critic members. I also invited the senior staff to the party and most showed. I was told the captain was trying to make the party but unfortunately he couldn't. I chose the last sea day at 2 pm for a 2 hour get together to review our experiences. I met with the food and beverage person a few days before and ordered food and drinks. They came to my room and looked at the layout and figured how to layout the spread. The suite next to us was our friends we were traveling with so we had about 40 feet of deck to work with. Princess set up a bar with a nice selection. Princess provided a bartender, waiter and bar back for the party. If you should do a party like this there is a 15% gratuity added to the bill for food and beverages. I also gave each of the staff a $20.00 tip each. Any food that is left over goes to the staff lounge for them to enjoy. Princess staff also took care of the cleanup. PRINCESS was great. The following YOUTUBE has pictures of the party and pictures of the meet and greet. The party pics are about in the middle of the slideshow. When you get to this link if you go to my name I have about 10 other slideshow and videos. The Sabatini's fun 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGdDs7Rbi50&feature=related

Those pictures bring back some great memories, Rick. You do know how to throw a party. Hope to sail with you again sometime.

Bill:D

Those pictures bring back some great memories, Rick. You do know how to throw a party. Hope to sail with you again sometime.

Bill:D

Hey Bill, how is the family? I check your Facebook from time to time to see what you have been up to. Yes it was a very good party. Last Saturday Happywaves6......Deborah & Larry, NJ were in town and we met for dinner.

They were visiting friends and family in Seattle, Vancouver, Wa and Bend Oregon. We had great time. We spent 3 hours talking and enjoying dinner.

Today is Marilyn last day at work. She is retiring after 33 years. Me, maybe next year, but who knows I may work another 10 years till I am 66. See you someday on a cruise.

• 4 months later...

I am resurrecting this thread, as I am trying to do a similiar private party to the one described in this thread for 18 people.... but I am getting no where, and am looking for help.

We want to do a private party as "notentirelynormal" describes in their posts. But when we call Princess, we were told this sort of event was only for "corporate incentive groups" and the minumum number of people needed was 32. This seems contradictory to the posts in this thread. Princess seems to have a history of not knowing what is going on.

And on that note, I was wondering if anyone had ideas, suggestions, or did I miss something completely. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!!!!

FYI I was not the one who called Princesss.... the person who is organizing the cruise did (a TA friend). So I do not know the exact conversasion, but got an overview.

I am resurrecting this thread, as I am trying to do a similiar private party to the one described in this thread for 18 people.... but I am getting no where, and am looking for help.

We want to do a private party as "notentirelynormal" describes in their posts. But when we call Princess, we were told this sort of event was only for "corporate incentive groups" and the minumum number of people needed was 32. This seems contradictory to the posts in this thread. Princess seems to have a history of not knowing what is going on.

And on that note, I was wondering if anyone had ideas, suggestions, or did I miss something completely. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!!!!

FYI I was not the one who called Princesss.... the person who is organizing the cruise did (a TA friend). So I do not know the exact conversasion, but got an overview.

Call yourself. Ask for the Onboard Services Coordinator for your ship. That is the person that sets it up. I can't believe they've changed their policy to what the TA was told. I've been setting up parties for our group for almost 20 years and always done it before we go with no problems at all. Our last party was for 15 adults and the cruise was March 2010.

I've been to private parties but never organized one. They have slways been a large group. Nine wouldn't qualify as there are often many groups of families or affinity groups with 50 or more people. Your best bet is to have a party in one of the cabins and order drinks and hors d'oeurves, which must be ordered ahead of time.

If you've never organized a party on board, then how do you know 9

won't qualify?

We had a party for 8 once, and we "qualified.";)

Call yourself. Ask for the Onboard Services Coordinator for your ship. That is the person that sets it up. I can't believe they've changed their policy to what the TA was told. I've been setting up parties for our group for almost 20 years and always done it before we go with no problems at all. Our last party was for 15 adults and the cruise was March 2010.

I just noticed you are on the Ruby. Try this person:

rwitter@princesscruises.com. email her directly. She set up my last one.

Thanks for the info. I will shoot her an e-mail and see what happens. Thanks again.

Archived