Why the Problem with Singles Traveling Together

jcscv

I took a Disney cruise a couple of years ago with a friend, and was amazed at how little Disney knew how to cope with singles traveling together. First, we arrived on the ship to find the beds configured as the queen bed, and we had to ask the room steward to split them into twins (ok, just a minor thing). Then, we only received paperwork (Navigator, and any other forms) for 1 person. Even asking for 2 sets, it was hit and miss if we got it (I can't even begin to tell you all the hassles we had trying to get a second Customs form). We were both constantly charged for each other's stuff (she had my excursions on her bill, I had her drinks on my bill, etc). We were given free canvas bags, but even though there was 2 of us in the room, we only received 1.

I've never had this problem on any other cruise, but it was crazy how much of a problem it was with Disney. I'm sure they get a lot of people individually traveling together, so why all the problems?

Now, I have a room booked on The Dream next year, and come to find out the only bed configuration is a queen size bed, and if you don't want to sleep together, then one person has to sleep on the couch/bed.

I understand Disney is a family type of cruise, but why alienate individuals that want to enjoy their cruises? Has anybody else had this problem?

I took a Disney cruise a couple of years ago with a friend, and was amazed at how little Disney knew how to cope with singles traveling together. First, we arrived on the ship to find the beds configured as the queen bed, and we had to ask the room steward to split them into twins (ok, just a minor thing). Then, we only received paperwork (Navigator, and any other forms) for 1 person. Even asking for 2 sets, it was hit and miss if we got it (I can't even begin to tell you all the hassles we had trying to get a second Customs form). We were both constantly charged for each other's stuff (she had my excursions on her bill, I had her drinks on my bill, etc). We were given free canvas bags, but even though there was 2 of us in the room, we only received 1.

I've never had this problem on any other cruise, but it was crazy how much of a problem it was with Disney. I'm sure they get a lot of people individually traveling together, so why all the problems?

Now, I have a room booked on The Dream next year, and come to find out the only bed configuration is a queen size bed, and if you don't want to sleep together, then one person has to sleep on the couch/bed.

I understand Disney is a family type of cruise, but why alienate individuals that want to enjoy their cruises? Has anybody else had this problem?

When my adult son and friend cruised they also had to ask to separate the bed but they wernt upset at all.

As far as getting 2 Navigators or customs form it was easy. They always had extra setting out in front of the guest services desk. I even grabbed an extra custom form since i spilled tea on my first one.:o

They never had problems with getting each others bills. They got it set up separately at check in and it worked great. It only came on one sheet of paper at the end of the cruise but it was listed individually. They could have got an extra copy if they had asked at GS but they really didnt need it.

So no real problems for them.

Sorry to hear you had so many problems.

Sorry to hear you had this problem. It isn't typical.

Now, the free canvas bag may have been one per stateroom. Not sure how you received that. Was it through a promo, Castaway club?

My cruise this month involves three singles sharing a cabin so I am curious how this will all work out for us as we are hoping that our room keys will be linked to our individual credit cards. I spend enough $ and don't need charges on my card other than my own. LOL! :D

When you check in at the terminal you tell them everyone wants their charges to go to their own cards and they will fix it for you.

We have done this before. Never had a problem, however

If you discover during the cruise that a mistake has been made you just go to guest services and get it fixed too.

It shouldnt be a problem. You can check your bill anytime at guest services to make sure all is well.

Is this true, the beds don't separate? I'm very surprised by this. Often times this is the case in a suite, but not in standard cabins. What type of cabin did you book?

Ernie

My cruise this month involves three singles sharing a cabin so I am curious how this will all work out for us as we are hoping that our room keys will be linked to our individual credit cards. I spend enough $ and don't need charges on my card other than my own. LOL! :D

To my favor, my roommate got my excursion charges, and I only had a couple of her drinks on my tab ;). I'll be interested to hear if you have any problems. Hopefully it was just a problem with me, and you'll have no problems!

When you check in at the terminal you tell them everyone wants their charges to go to their own cards and they will fix it for you.

We have done this before. Never had a problem, however

If you discover during the cruise that a mistake has been made you just go to guest services and get it fixed too.

It shouldnt be a problem. You can check your bill anytime at guest services to make sure all is well.

We both registered seperately under our own credit cards, so not sure how things got messed up. We did go to guest services to get things straightened up, and of course they were very helpful getting everything fixed.

Is this true, the beds don't separate? I'm very surprised by this. Often times this is the case in a suite, but not in standard cabins. What type of cabin did you book?

Ernie

This is what I was told by my travel agent, and looking at the pictures, all the beds are kind of built into a headboard. We just booked a standard inside room. The rooms are gorgeous, and if this in fact true, we'll just swich off nights on who gets the couch ;)

afdfsa

This is what I was told by my travel agent, and looking at the pictures, all the beds are kind of built into a headboard. We just booked a standard inside room. The rooms are gorgeous, and if this in fact true, we'll just swich off nights on who gets the couch ;)

Thanks for the info. I had a look at the DREAM brochure, and sure enough no mention of the queen bed being convertible to twins, or the other way around. This was for all categories.

I'm really surprised. DREAM will be the only ship sailing that I know of with this arrangement.

Ernie

on the dream, this may be a factor in not having the split beds.

personally, i travel with a friend, and although she always offers to sleep on the couch bed, i always do, because she is much taller than i am.

i also think that disney is possibly assuming that two same sex friends traveling together are possibley gay, so they don't want to offend you by making the beds up as singles. we have actually usually had to ask to have the second bed made up for us too, but this is not a major problem. as for the gifts, i think they are usually one per stateroom, not sure how else this would work out.

Per the Disney website the staterooms on Magic & Wonder are being retrofitted to match the Dream and Fantasy. If you look at the deck plans Magic & Wonder do/did have queen beds OR convertible twins but maybe not in each cabin. However Dream & Fantasy will ONLY have queen beds and the others are being retrofitted to that and 1 single sofa sleeper. I'm sure they found MOST passengers preferred the beds together and let's face it, queens are more comfortable than 2 twins put together. I always feel the middle no matter what they top it with.

I cruised with my mom on one Wonder cruise and with a friend on another, and had to undo the beds and straighten out charges on the first cruise. I'll cruise with a friend on the Dream in Feb., and we'll take turns sleeping on the sofa! I think it's a STUPID idea to not have beds that split. If enough people complain about the lack of twins on the Dream, perhaps the Fantasy will offer some cabins with beds that do separate.

Per the Disney website the staterooms on Magic & Wonder are being retrofitted to match the Dream and Fantasy. If you look at the deck plans Magic & Wonder do/did have queen beds OR convertible twins but maybe not in each cabin. However Dream & Fantasy will ONLY have queen beds and the others are being retrofitted to that and 1 single sofa sleeper. I'm sure they found MOST passengers preferred the beds together and let's face it, queens are more comfortable than 2 twins put together. I always feel the middle no matter what they top it with.

Could you post a link to this? I can't find it but I hope this is not true! I have one cruise booked on the Dream for my DD, my DGD and I next June. I'll probably end up on the couch. We'll see how this works. But I am already making plans to try another line if they don't end up with any beds that split! I am hoping that after a while, there will be so many complaints that they have to change some beds to splitable ones. This is something that is not widely known yet. I have a feeling a lot of people will be disappointed when they get there. :(

Archived