Grand Suite vs Owners

bride928

Just booked a Jan 2012 cruise and reserved the Owner's Suite for myself, hubby, and our one year old son. Grand Suite was about $1500 cheaper overall. Should I switch or is the upgrade worth it? This will be our first suite experience. What r the perks?

Just booked a Jan 2012 cruise and reserved the Owner's Suite for myself, hubby, and our one year old son. Grand Suite was about $1500 cheaper overall. Should I switch or is the upgrade worth it? This will be our first suite experience. What r the perks?

I think for your needs I would go with the GS myself. No difference in what you get as far as perks both receive the same. JMO

You did not mention the ship. For my family, we had a GS on Freedom last November 2009 and it was myself, DW and 2 x DS's (13 & 15) and we had more than enough room. Did not even use all the drawers. IMHO, if only you and hubby and a 1 year old, I would stay with the GS as size is enough and no less perks than OS. You can go up if money is not an object.

Enjoy your cruise.

Perks are exactly the same and although the OS is 100sqft or more larger sometimes the balcony is larger with a GS than an OS. Either way for 3 people, first suite, the GS is a great choice. Save the $1500 for another cruise!:D

Although you didn't ask about it, I'd even consider a JS for the 3 of you. We stayed in one on the Mariner and there was plenty of room in that thing. You also still get the tub so Jr. can have a bath instead of a washdown or a shower.

Suite Enhancements (complete):

Royal Suite,Royal Family Suite, Presidential Family Suite,Owner’s Suite,Grand Suite

Oasis Class: Royal Loft Suite, Sky Loft Suite, AquaTheater Suite&Crown Loft Suite

• Priority check-in

• Personalized attention throughout the cruise with complimentary Concierge Club service

• Complimentary luggage valet service

• Complimentary pressing service on formal night

• Reserved prime seating in the main theater for entertainment shows (where available)

• VIP pool deck seating (Voyager and Freedom Class)

• Full breakfast, lunch and dinner dining room menus available for in-room dining

• Mattel® board games available to order for in-room entertainment for the kids

• Priority tender tickets (where available)

• Private breakfast and lunch seating in specialty restaurant (Voyager and Freedom Class)

• Priority departure with exclusive suite departure lounge - includes continental breakfast

• Luxury spa bathrobes (for use onboard)

• Gold SeaPass® Card for recognition

Junior Suite Enhancements

• Tea and coffee service ensuite

• Terry bathrobes (for use onboard)

• Bathroom amenities

• Silver SeaPass® card for recognition

Edited by cruisenfever

I would be perfectly delighted with GS :), but DH will not "settle" for anything less than OS. :eek:

Oh poor, poor me. ;):D

I'm with your DH. My wife said the GS would be fine- heck, she would have settled for an inside cabin, but that's my wife for you- but I like the extra space. Besides, we have nine others in our group and I want the space for pre-dinner get-togethers, hors d'oeuvres, cocktails (love those Yellow Birds in the Caribbean).

bob123

Same here. My husband is the one that wants an OS every time we cruise now.

Lots of space and a large bathroom can make some folks enjoy that cruise a weeeeeee bit more!

OP-want lots of room and space-go for the OS. I've stayed in a GS with the family which was hubby and 2 teen boys and we had plenty of room too! It's up to you.

Just returned from the LOS and had GS, JS, and two balcony for the different family members. Spouse and I had the GS and the middle son, spouse, three year old, and 18m old had the JS. For sure the GS would be more than enough room for you. But so would the JS, expect the JS doesn't get the gold card perks that we really enjoyed. Our balcony in the GS was huge and the kids had adjoining three cabins with the balcony partions opened so it was hard to judge. The closet in the JS was a true "walk in" it was unbelievable. Our GS had plenty of storage space also, in fact this was the first cruise where we had empty drawers.

Also, I doubt a JS would give you room you would really need with a one year old for sleeping purposes. Our kids ordered a crib, but it took up to much floor space so they had it removed. They ended up sleeping each with a kid on the main bed and sofa bed.

I don't recall the JS, but in GS we had a drape that you could pull across the room. You could turn the TV so you could see it and let the baby sleep on the other side or you put the crib on the balcony and let him/her sleep out there (just kidding). Heck our bathroom was so large you could sleep in there (except flushing those toilets would wake anybody up).

For all the advice. The ship is ALLURE by the way. Now I feel like I should've downgraded a bit. If it were my choice i would do a balcony but hubby hates being in tiny spaces for a week. We bad an interior last year on FOS and he was miserable. So I guess I'll stick w/ the OS but next time will try GS or JS.

For all the advice. The ship is ALLURE by the way. Now I feel like I should've downgraded a bit. If it were my choice i would do a balcony but hubby hates being in tiny spaces for a week. We bad an interior last year on FOS and he was miserable. So I guess I'll stick w/ the OS but next time will try GS or JS.

we did the Brilliance Med cruise in May/June. Had the GS next to the Royal suite. huge balcony. it was also one of the few cabins that had two operable sliding doors. you could open them together and the entire cabin felt like you were outside. saw the blueprint of the ship during bridge tour and i only saw 3 cabins that had those double doors

Having stayed in both. Personally I think the GS is plenty big enough. The last cruise on the liberty we were in a Owners Suite. We also cruised on the Liberty in a GS. I really prefer the GS. Maybe if child were older I would opt for OS. But don't think OS it is worth the money.

My mother preferred the OS to the GS solely because the shower is separate from the bathtub in the OS which gave her less of a claustrophobic feel in the bathroom (the shower curtain in the GS gave her a too enclosed feel in the shower). Other than that issue, the grand suite is perfectly wonderful IMO.

• 4 years later...
I don't know if I could go a week without a bathtub😵

Not sure what your point is since everything from a JS on up has a tub or why you dredged up a four year old thread to post it. Personally, that's what I like least about a suite. Definitely prefer a stall shower.

I would also vote for GS, but if an OS is in our budget - comfortably, they are very nice too. But once you go up, it's hard to go back down again. :). Both offer a few perks that are fantastic with a little one - priority embark and disembark (very nice when you have children who are less than patient), in-room dining from MDR menu (we knew our son was not good in crowded places so we were pretty sure he would not like MDR, so this was our fallback plan - it turned out, he hated MDR, but loved WJ, so we never used this perk), CL lounge (this was great on our last cruise - we boarded early, had lunch in WJ, but then what - most of ship was closed, so we headed up to CL, dropped our stuff by a few chairs and relaxed until the rooms were open), and finally, the suites have Sony PS3's, so we took our son's favorite DVDs, so he had something to watch while we got ready or just before bed. Also, depending on the ship, the OSs have a small dining room table, so if you do decide to eat in, you have a place to eat. I know on the Vision class, these tables are rather small, but I think they may be a bit bigger on the larger ships.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure what your point is since everything from a JS on up has a tub or why you dredged up a four year old thread to post it. Personally, that's what I like least about a suite. Definitely prefer a stall shower.

The Owners Suites have a fabulous glass enclosed shower stall. Sometimes threads get resurrected when folks do a search on a particular topic. Maybe it's possible the OP didn't take notice of the date this thread was created?

We've been in GS on Allure, Enchantment, Grandeur, Freedom, and OS on Serenade. Although this was just for 2 people, we prefer GS. It is more than enough space, and as others have stated, same perks as OS. Enjoy your cruise, whichever you decide :)

The Owners Suites have a fabulous glass enclosed shower stall. Sometimes threads get resurrected when folks do a search on a particular topic. Maybe it's possible the OP didn't take notice of the date this thread was created?

I wish people would not resurrect such old threads - I never bother to look at the dates :).

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App