Indy/Disabled facilities please help

Hi

I have suddenly been taken ill and am trying desperately not to have to cancel my cruise on Indy on Saturday.

Can anyone tell me anything about the disabled facilities onboard? I know there are rails in lots of public places but can you help me with other things.

I am going to see if I can change rooms as I now need rails in the room & particularly the bathroom. I dont think I would be able to stand in the normal sized small showers so is there anything to help there for disabled? I am hoping I wont need a wheelchair (currently practising hard to walk on sticks alone) - would they have one on board I can use if I do need it?

Any help would be appreciated. Or anyone with experience on the disabled rooms (although I doubt there will be any left this late).

Hi,

Sorry to read yur post and wish you a speedy recovery.

It is highly unlikely that any handicapped adjusted cabins will be available at such short notice but in any case I suggest you call RCCL now on 0844 493 4005 (they're open until 4pm today) and advise them of your needs. You should also send an urgent email to the specialservices.uk@rccl.com department.

Have you considered renting a scooter? I used one on Radiance earlier this year and found it extremely useful as I had an aft cabin. I don't know if they can help you at such short notice but would highly recommend you rent yourself a wheel chair rather than hope that the ship has one that you can commandeer.

I used http://carevacations.co.uk/Welcome.html for my scooter hire..they have wheelchairs too.

Good luck.

Hi,

Sorry to read yur post and wish you a speedy recovery.

It is highly unlikely that any handicapped adjusted cabins will be available at such short notice but in any case I suggest you call RCCL now on 0844 493 4005 (they're open until 4pm today) and advise them of your needs. You should also send an urgent email to the specialservices.uk@rccl.com department.

Have you considered renting a scooter? I used one on Radiance earlier this year and found it extremely useful as I had an aft cabin. I don't know if they can help you at such short notice but would highly recommend you rent yourself a wheel chair rather than hope that the ship has one that you can commandeer.

I used http://carevacations.co.uk/Welcome.html for my scooter hire..they have wheelchairs too.

Good luck.

Hi Linda

thanks for the reply. I cant get through on that numner says the office is shut but I'll keep trying - thank you.

Im awaiting response from the email Ive sent but again think they are shut. Good to hear you used that scooter rental and recomment them - thought they were US based so good you used them and from the UK - will look into that.

Yes think I may struggle with a room but I will try. I have lots of hospital appointments/scans etc next week and am on massive dose of steroids now so hopefully that will all help but to be prepared in case not will be good.

Ive been 2 years OK and just had a relapse but they dont know what it is - beaten it before will do so again! :)

How were the disabled rooms on the ship?

So appreciate your help and speedy response - thank you so much :)

Hi Linda

thanks for the reply. I cant get through on that numner says the office is shut but I'll keep trying - thank you.

Im awaiting response from the email Ive sent but again think they are shut. Good to hear you used that scooter rental and recomment them - thought they were US based so good you used them and from the UK - will look into that.

Yes think I may struggle with a room but I will try. I have lots of hospital appointments/scans etc next week and am on massive dose of steroids now so hopefully that will all help but to be prepared in case not will be good.

Ive been 2 years OK and just had a relapse but they dont know what it is - beaten it before will do so again! :)

PS Im through on the phone number - think I must have tried too early - so thanks again!

Handicap cabins are usually double the size of a regular cabin in the same category. They have much bigger bathrooms to allow for wheelchair access and a wider entry door into the cabin and bathroom. They also have the grab bars beside the toilet and in the shower.

With that said, I would be really surprised if RC can accomodate you in a HA cabin on such short notice. Im not trying to disappoint you but only let you know.

Those of us that require a HA cabin usually have to book MONTHS in advance. If RC has someone booked in one of the HA cabins that doesnt require one, they MIGHT be able to move them but I wouldnt count on it. It is a very slight possibility though.

Best of luck! I hope you dont have to cancel your cruise! :(

Handicap cabins are usually double the size of a regular cabin in the same category. They have much bigger bathrooms to allow for wheelchair access and a wider entry door into the cabin and bathroom. They also have the grab bars beside the toilet and in the shower.

With that said, I would be really surprised if RC can accomodate you in a HA cabin on such short notice. Im not trying to disappoint you but only let you know.

Those of us that require a HA cabin usually have to book MONTHS in advance. If RC has someone booked in one of the HA cabins that doesnt require one, they MIGHT be able to move them but I wouldnt count on it. It is a very slight possibility though.

Best of luck! I hope you dont have to cancel your cruise! :(

Hi

Yes the rooms have all gone which of course would be expected and understandable. Its a shame when you have to face something like this last minute and there isnt any scope to change but thats life and they can only do so much I suppose (unless I pay £4000pp to upgrade....Mmmmm).

Im being positive am being admitted to hospital today but Im not giving up on this holiday until the last minute - Ill get there, looks like we will be ship bound for the duration but hey thats not so bad! :-)

Thanks for the support and guidance.

Sorry to hear of your dilemna. However, RCI will help. Call Special Needs Dept. They can supply you with a raised toilet seat, and a shower chair. If you cannot get a H/C cabin, the above things will help. (I'm trying to get a H/C cabin in March of 2011 and they are already gone.). Good luck to you.

Sorry to hear of your dilemna. However, RCI will help. Call Special Needs Dept. They can supply you with a raised toilet seat, and a shower chair. If you cannot get a H/C cabin, the above things will help. (I'm trying to get a H/C cabin in March of 2011 and they are already gone.). Good luck to you.

Oh raised toilet seat didnt think of that.... you kind of cope at home and get used to things but thats a very good point!

Thanks for the pointers and I hope you get something sorted for your cruise in March. ;)

Archived