Live Island - Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale via Panama 17 nights

vickie_bernie

Sorry I did not get to meet you. We had a great 2 day cruise. I was charged for internet and did not catch it until I got home. This was my first cruise as Platinum. Have a wonderful cruise. I look forward to your posts.

Brenda

We are at sea, second sea day we are off the coast of Baja Mexico, the weather is beautiful.... ahhh Bernie has headed up to the Sanctuary to enjoy a peaceful afternoon. Me I have other plans. See below.

Back to yesterday:

We had our meet and greet with the Cruise Critic gang and it was very well attended, I would guess about 75 came and the Captain showed along with the Passenger Service Director, Deputy Cruise Director, Food and Beverage Manager, Bar Manager, First Purser, Matre D'Hotel and the Executive Chef Klaus, who I have to say is the most talkative Chef I have ever ever seen. I think he talked for well over a half hour, the Captain actually had to step in to say a few words before he had to run off. It was very impressive that they all took time out of their busy schedules to say hi.

We attended the Platinum Elite Lounge for a cocktail (Chairman of the Board - Martini) for $2.99 yummy and steak tartar and enjoy some good conversation with fellow passengers from the CC boards.

Bernie and I are opting out of formal dining this voyage so we headed up to the Horizon Court for a small bite to eat. After that we decided why not head up to the Lido deck to enclosed pool area and we sat in the hot tub, then went into the pool then back in the hot tub - did this for about an hour. We were the only ones there and then headed back to the cabin around 9:30. I layed down and we started watching the movie "The Proposal" and I was out in about two minutes!

this morning I was up early, obviously because of the early night. Bernie and I went to breakfast in the dining room then sat and enjoyed our latte in the coffee bar. Morning trivia again we didn't fare too well but we had fun.

This afternoon i have a girls pampering in the cabin, Shelley and Laurie and Barbara are coming over and I've ordered afternoon tea for the room and will enjoy facials and manicures and some good laughs. Needless to say Bernie is giving us the space or we may tackle him and give him a facial too.

Our cabin steward pedro is great, so attentive and whatever we need he provides!

Well off to get some soup and then relaxation!

Vickie,
So glad you guys are having a nice time. Too bad you had a little of a rough start with the two day. Seems like those shorter repo cruises have been tough on you guys lately, maybe it's somebody's way of telling you that you should just stick with the long ones, lol! Take care and hope you both continue to enjoy your cruise. I am curious why the internet is such a problem this time. Are you using the Cafe or your laptop? Take care, and have fun!

If you talk to the maitre ' ahead of time,like we did on one of our cruises, they will take a tally to see how many other Canadians would like roast turkey etc. It worked for us and people enjoyed ordering the turkey (bet they weren't all Canadians that day, either!;))

To all of you onboard: we envy you as we are getting a wetter patch up here in Vancouver now. But sunshine on the Prairies!

[B][SIZE=4]Hi Vickie and Bernie,[/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=4]Hope you are having a wonderful time on your cruise, but of course you are.:)[/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=4]Keep up the posts and enjoy.[/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=4]Ilene and Murray[/SIZE][/B]

[quote name='cruiselifers']Vickie,
So glad you guys are having a nice time. Too bad you had a little of a rough start with the two day. Seems like those shorter repo cruises have been tough on you guys lately, maybe it's somebody's way of telling you that you should just stick with the long ones, lol! Take care and hope you both continue to enjoy your cruise. I am curious why the internet is such a problem this time. Are you using the Cafe or your laptop? Take care, and have fun![/quote]

it seems my earlier post had a negative tone to it but it was anything but we had a great two day voyage with a few hiccups but those are to be expected and we both flow (pun intended) with the waves. The two day repos are a very different crowd that is for sure, defiantely a much younger group, this voyage is full of I would guess 75% over the age of 65 and higher, 20% around our age 40s-50s. Then 5% younger than 40. Lots of walkers.. just like last year but I have REALLY enjoyed talking to the older passengers, man can we learn alot from them. I just hope I am able to live life to the fullest at that age too!

[quote name='Putterdude'][SIZE=4]Are they celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving on Monday or is that a non-starter?[/SIZE][/quote]

nope they are not. We spoke with Klaus the Executive Chef at the meet and Greet and mentioned it to him. We also spoke to Silvio the Matre D hotel. They said they didn't know, but we haven't brought it up since. There are probably at least 35% Canadians on board, if not higher.

But I am okay with having the regular meal, but would love if they at least recognized Thanksgiving Day in the Patters.

Sunday, day at sea

Sorry again for the sporatic posts, internet is down more times than it is up. After talking to the internet attendant it appears that in dry dock they put in a new modem system and there seems to be an issue. So they are working on it. I must of check five times in the past two days to go online but it was always down. It is 9 am now and it seems to be up so I am taking advantage of it.

Great girls day in the room the other day.... laughed our heads off

yesterday was Cabo and it was HOT, did I menition how hot it was! well into the 30s plust 85% humidity at 9 am.

We went into town and grabbed a mexican meal from a small mom and pop place far away from the main drag. We bought some souvenirs for our nephews and then headed back to the ship. Oh we did stop at the Starbucks (for those of you who know me, understand my obsession with Starbucks). We handed out pencils to some of the kids and gave the baristas at starbucks Canadian lanyards.

Yesterday we came back on the ship and hit the Sanctuary. A lot of people think the sanctuary was installed during dry dock but no it was done a while ago as we used the sanctuary last year on the Island on the same cruise.

One thing though the pool at the back of the ship for the Sanctuary was HOT, too hot, we couldn't even get in it was so hot. Hotter than a hot tub. Apparently they are heating it from the Alaskan runs and had not turned it off for the southern voyage. We couldn't use it so we just headed mid ship to use the pool to cool off then went back to our lounge chairs in the Sanctuary. We did get some sun too, even had 50 sun screen and 30 for the second covering and still got red, will have to be more attentive from now on.

Last nights dinner was so yummy, shrimp bisque to start, then crab cake, then I had a steak with scallops and pink grapefruit tart for dessert. We all headed up to the MUTS to watch a movie the six of us - we brought up our pillows and some movie snacks (as if we were hungry).

THe elite/platinum lounge had mojitos yesterday... got two! For 2.99 who can beat it.

We have three glorious days at sea now... my favorite.

We love Brett the cruise director he is so funny - we are having some fun with him with the morning show and some of the sickly sweet love comments we are making in our friends names. :p

Princess is handing out free grocery type tote bags, we have been given two now for each voyage. They are also giving out a different type as prizes for trivia etc as well as caps, this is what we have seen so far.

Well don't know what else to say.

[quote name='vickie_bernie']We love Brett the cruise director he is so funny - we are having some fun with him with the morning show and some of the sickly sweet love comments we are making in our friends names. :p[/QUOTE]

I read your post partly to see if you said anything about Brett. He's become a dear, dear friend of ours over the years (and the many Princess cruises), and I've developed an almost parental interest in how he's doing. Thanks for posting your comments, and I hope you have a wonderful time.

I'll follow your posts with interest, as the other reason I clicked on your thread is that we're doing the Acapulco to Fort Lauderdale full canal transit on the Coral next April. So, we're interested to hear about your experience.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. And if you run into Brett, tell him "The Boston Boys" say hi. :D

[quote name='vickie_bernie']. . . Last nights dinner was so yummy, shrimp bisque to start, then crab cake, then I had a steak with scallops and pink grapefruit tart for dessert. . . .[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=indigo] That all sounds absolutely wonderful. Shrimp bisque! Crab cakes! Scallops and steaks! Wow. [/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#4b0082]I don't remember ever seeing pink grapefruit tart on the dessert menu; I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye out for that. I adore grapefruit; it's my favourite fruit. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='vickie_bernie']We love Brett the cruise director he is so funny - we are having some fun with him with the morning show and some of the sickly sweet love comments we are making in our friends names. :p[/quote]
I didn't know Brett had been promoted! He was a DCD (ACD? Second in command) when we last sailed with him on the Golden in 2008. Well done for him!

Vickie, remind me to remind you to forget our names before we cruise together again. :rolleyes:;):D

Continue to have a great cruise!

Hey Vickie,

Glald to hear things are going so well. Thanks for the updates.

Can wait to experience the food when we sail on Island in Dec - sounds absolutely yummy. DH and I are in the process of cleaning out the pantry and fridge in preparation for our upcoming long journey! Amazing what you find and what can be thrown out - better in the bin (trash) than on one's hips!!

Looking forward to the Panama!

Happy and smooth sailing.

Nicki

Archived