Customs and luggage valet

Sorry, another luggage valet question or two. We will disembark in Fort Lauderdale and have a 4:30 flight out of FLL. So we plan on using the Luggage Valet program. I know bags must be in hall by 11:00 on last cruise night and that we will have our printed boarding passes. Here's my question.

When we disembark, must we:

(1) proceed to terminal

(2) locate our luggage

(3) present luggage to customs

(4) locate Delta airline rep.

(5) give luggage to rep. who will take luggage to FLL airport

I think that I remember this procedure when we used this program out of San Juan last year.

Wow. Thats not what happenned to us.

When we sailed out of Port Canavral we put our luggage out by 11pm the last night.

Never saw it again till Cleveland.

We flew Continental.

The information desk told us if there was a problem with excessive weight it would be added to our sea pass card (airport fees),

If we brought back some funky tobaccki (weed) the custom agents would stop us.

Don't smoke illegal joints and kept the weight limit down.

Highly recommend this service.

Safe travels.

Wow. Thats not what happenned to us.

When we sailed out of Port Canavral we put our luggage out by 11pm the last night.

Never saw it again till Cleveland.

We flew Continental.

The information desk told us if there was a problem with excessive weight it would be added to our sea pass card (airport fees),

If we brought back some funky tobaccki (weed) the custom agents would stop us.

Don't smoke illegal joints and kept the weight limit down.

Highly recommend this service.

Safe travels.

Maybe that was just a San Juan thing. I was hoping that we'd not have to got through that full procedure again. Always hard to locate your bags in a sea of luggage.

Just did the luggage valet in Ft Lauderdale last month. We did NOT have to find our luggage and schlep it through customs! That would pretty much defeat the purpose in my eyes. :p

We did not see our bags after we set them out in the hall until we got to our home airport. And it was worth every penny!

From Port Everglades you will set your luggage out at night and not see it again until you pick it up at your home airport.

If there is a customs problem with your luggage you will have your luggage held for inspection and you will be advised where to meet the customs agent. If you aren't taking anything off that causes the dogs to pick out your luggage you should have no problems.

Click here for a link to the RCCL web page that addresses the issue.

We've used it before and it's a great service IMHO.

Charlie

We set our luggage out the last night and did not see it,touch it or handle it until we landed at our final destination. Plus you have your boarding passes and are not require to check-in at the airport. You can go straight to your gate.

If you are flying home the day you disembark and meet the requirements of the program, this is the only way to go.

It makes disembarkation easy and painless. You still have to go through customs but the process is so much easier.

I'm sure if there is a problem with your luggage at customs, they will let you know as you go thru.

Maybe that was just a San Juan thing. I was hoping that we'd not have to got through that full procedure again. Always hard to locate your bags in a sea of luggage.

Yes, the procedures vary by port. Definitely much easier if you don't have to retrieve it (although you do have to be careful and limit your toiletries for the last night and morning since you won't be able to slip them into your checked bags).

The process on PR sounds awful. Really, what's the point of using luggage valet there?

Only advantage would be the boarding passes and not having to look after your luggage if it's a late flight out.

Did I miss something?

TnT

p.s anyone know the status of this service in PR? Last heard it was to resume in Sept., then ??

Only advantage would be the boarding passes and not having to look after your luggage if it's a late flight out.

Did I miss something?

If you've never flown out of SJU, then you'll discover that the biggest advantage is getting to skip the massive lines and mess that is check-in there (plus the USDA check) and head straight to security. You really can't discount how big of a plus that is.

Plus, if you have a later flight it means you can tour around without worrying about your luggage.

how much does this service cost? sounds ideal... carol

$20 per person for up to 2 bags each plus any luggage fees imposed by your airline.

See pages 5 & 6 of the following document. This is the luggage valet paperwork given out on Oasis (Ft Lauderdale):

http://cruisedocs.com/uploads/Oasis_Eastern_2010-06-05_-_About_the_Crew_and_Disembark_Info.pdf

how much does this service cost? sounds ideal... carol
I believe that it's still $20 per person (not per bag).

Airline baggage fees are additional. But you would have to pay those anyway. Make sure you're not over the weight limit for your airline as you will have no chance to remedy the problem and the excess weight fee will be added.

Charlie

If you've never flown out of SJU, then you'll discover that the biggest advantage is getting to skip the massive lines and mess that is check-in there (plus the USDA check) and head straight to security. You really can't discount how big of a plus that is.

Plus, if you have a later flight it means you can tour around without worrying about your luggage.

This sounds great...but it also sounds risky. Are you saying you walk off the ship and never see your luggage until (hopefully) it arrives at your arrival airport carousel? I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be worried that I would be in Chicago watching the carousel go around and around while my luggage is sitting on a loading dock in San Juan.

The only time we used the luggage valet service was in San Juan, we had to place our luggage out the night before for pickup. Then, after disembarking off of the ship, we had to pick it up in the terminal warehouse and go through Customs and then to the airline kiosk station located in the same terminal where they weighed it and tagged it. They took our luggage except what we wanted to carry and then we took the taxi to the airport. We loved not having to carry it around, plus we saved money on the taxi since they charged you for the number of bags in the car.

I am sure each port has a different type of valet service, so I wouldn't count on one experience being the same in every port.

Wrona, Luggage Valet has not been available in San Juan since May. They thought it might be back in operation sometime in October.

$20 per person for up to 2 bags each plus any luggage fees imposed by your airline.

See pages 5 & 6 of the following document. This is the luggage valet paperwork given out on Oasis (Ft Lauderdale):

http://cruisedocs.com/uploads/Oasis_Eastern_2010-06-05_-_About_the_Crew_and_Disembark_Info.pdf

thank you Aprille & 98Charlie -

carol

We will be flying home from LAX, and would love to use luggage valet. Has anybody flown home from Los Angeles, and used this service. If so, how did it work out?

From the RCI Website..............

Luggage Valet is a service offered onboard which enables guests to bypass traditional airport check-ins. Guest who participate will be processed onboard the ship and receive their airline boarding passes, luggage tags as well as baggage claim checks for their checked-in luggage.

This service is available in these selected ports:

• Fort Lauderdale
  • Port Canaveral
  • San Diego
  • Vancouver
  • Los Angeles
  • Miami
  • San Juan
  • Seattle
  • Seward

and on these selected airlines:

• Air Canada
  • Air Tran
  • Alaska Airlines
  • American
  • Continental
  • Delta
  • United
  • US Airways
  • Jet Blue

Participating airlines vary by port. Consult the Guest Relations Desk onboard for specific port qualifications and additional information. An additional fee will apply.

Archived