Use Of Military OBC

Bobed1927

There's a question about restrictions on the use of OBC. Will appreciate the experience of returning cruisers with military OBC. Were you able to use it for gratuities?
Don't know about military OBCs but every other type of OBC (TA, FCC, Elite, stockholders, etc.) is applied to your onboard account as a credit that you start your cruise with. The onboard account is a simple credit/debit system. When you start with a credit, anything that is applied to your onboard account is debited (subtracted), including hotel service charges (auto-tip), drinks, tours, t-shirts, spa, sodas, etc. until your account is in a negative balance. The final negative balance is what is charged to your credit card at disembarkation.

I would be very surprised if the military OBC were handled any differently because it would require a change to the accounting system.

I have not used the Military OBC, but I've used other OBCs that were clearly marked "not for gratuities". But on some cruises, all I spent onboard were the tips. Never had any problem. On the 2nd day, check with the purser for your account balance. You will see the OBC credit applied against the account, not against any specifics such as drinks, photos, or even gratuities. And by checking early, that may make you feel more comfortable about not needing to spend the OBC on other purchases during the remaining days.

No, also retired. My DH is retired National Guard & we got a $250 credit on our Dec. cruise. Our travel agent hadn't heard about it, but we took the info to her & she faxed it to Princess & got our OBC. (We had to send a copy of DH's military ID card, with the SS# number whited out.)

Please explain Military OBC. Active duty only?
Fairly new program, operates just like the OBC for stockholders although the amount of credit varies based on cruise length. It is for active, retired and apparently some veterans - although I am not sure of the required service length. Many more details in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1268293

The military OBC is for anyone serving in the US Military and who have received an honorable discharge or is currently serving. I just heard about this about 2 weeks ago and sent a copy of my DD214, picture ID, and a request with my upcoming cruise information (Booking #, dates, destination, etc.) to shareholderbenefits@princess.com.

I received a reply within a week that I have received a $250.00 OBC for my 14 day upcoming cruise. Certainly worth the time to send the info.

Don't know about military OBCs but every other type of OBC (TA, FCC, Elite, stockholders, etc.) is applied to your onboard account as a credit that you start your cruise with. The onboard account is a simple credit/debit system. When you start with a credit, anything that is applied to your onboard account is debited (subtracted), including hotel service charges (auto-tip), drinks, tours, t-shirts, spa, sodas, etc. until your account is in a negative balance. The final negative balance is what is charged to your credit card at disembarkation.

Whenever I get a statement from the Purser's desk, it shows a

POSITIVE balance, and that is what is charged to my credit card

at the end.

Shipboard credits are negative, so at the beginning of the cruise,

your account might show $-100.00

Whenever I get a statement from the Purser's desk, it shows a POSITIVE balance, and that is what is charged to my credit card at the end.

Shipboard credits are negative, so at the beginning of the cruise, your account might show $-100.00

You are right, but it's harder to explain to someone who hasn't seen their onboard account. Regardless, it's still a simple credit/debit system which was the point I was trying to get across. :)

You are right, but it's harder to explain to someone who hasn't seen their onboard account. Regardless, it's still a simple credit/debit system which was the point I was trying to get across. :)

A positive account balance is the way most hotels work as well.

I emailed a copy of my Father and Cousin's DD214 discharge papers and their passports yesterday. I recieved notice today that they each recieve $250.00 OBC on our upcoming Panama Canal Cruise. Since they had no idea about this offer and I found out about it on CC, they have both offered to buy all of our group of 8 sailaway drinks.:D Woo Hoo!

Since they had no idea about this offer and I found out about it on CC, they have both offered to buy all of our group of 8 sailaway drinks.:D Woo Hoo!

Honestly, I think that's the kind of thing Princess is hoping for with all these credits, not that people will use them to pay for the hotel charge. We are quite happy that the credits on our upcoming Emerald cruises will almost exactly pay for our soda stickers each cruise, and it's nice that Princess gets the money back again (with minimal cost outlay for sodas).

However, if someone becomes aware of the fact that they are prevented from using the military credit to pay for the hotel charge, please let me know. And I'll be picking my jaw up off the floor at the fact that Princess has been able to revamp their much maligned onboard accounting system to handle that change.

The military OBC is for anyone serving in the US Military and who have received an honorable discharge or is currently serving. I just heard about this about 2 weeks ago and sent a copy of my DD214, picture ID, and a request with my upcoming cruise information (Booking #, dates, destination, etc.) to shareholderbenefits@princess.com.

I received a reply within a week that I have received a $250.00 OBC for my 14 day upcoming cruise. Certainly worth the time to send the info.

JimmyDon: Thanks for this info. We are from Clackamas with a son living in Hillsboro. I certainly intend to try for this veteran's OBC. Might as well get a nice reward for my Vietnam service. Thanks again. PapaBearToo

The military OBC is for anyone serving in the US Military and who have received an honorable discharge or is currently serving. I just heard about this about 2 weeks ago and sent a copy of my DD214, picture ID, and a request with my upcoming cruise information (Booking #, dates, destination, etc.) to shareholderbenefits@princess.com. .

Thankfully, this OBC is not just for the U.S. Military. It is also available to the Canadian Military - active and retired.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the Princess source (Liza McDaniel) about any limitations on it's usage & there are some.

I began a new thread on this subject (Military OBC Usage Limitations) where you can read about them instead of this answer being lost in this lengthy thread. :)

Archived