Are musical instruments permitted on board?

^^^^I had to take a class in college where you had to learn how to play a variety of musical instruments. The violin was by far the most difficult. I feel sorry for anyone who had to listen to me practice.:p

^^^^I had to take a class in college where you had to learn how to play a variety of musical instruments. The violin was by far the most difficult. I feel sorry for anyone who had to listen to me practice.:p

They make this wonderful thing called a practice mute. Believe me, my mother is very grateful for it.;)

Quoting myself, for lakette3.....:rolleyes: And no, we're not sailing this weekend.

I would rather listen to a guitar than a chronic complainer any day. I would even rather listen to a violin, or the trombone solo.

[Difference between a frog and a trombonist...the frog has at least a chance of getting a gig.];)

I see your in Iowa, have you cruised, or flown since lately? With the way airlines are charging for baggage these days we are trying to leave as much behind as possible.

My husband's guitar breaks in half and packs in a carry-on bag, and the little "personal" amp thingy is about the size of a paperback book. (And - I think he would rather leave ME behind than the guitar.....just sayin') :rolleyes:

Playing an engineer in my day job, I can assure that I will not be bringing my slide rule or calculator on board.

Weapons of math destruction aren't allowed:cool:.

I've got to remember that one...."weapons of math destruction"....snort!

Hubby is an engineer as well; I've never seen him use a slide rule but then I don't know what one looks like...... He does have some odd-looking stuff in his desk so for all I know one of them could be a slide rule. Hmmmm. I thought slide rules are considered antiques by now??? :D

On the Navigator this past march there was a group of 4-5 Scotish men and they always wore their kilts in the evenings and one of them carried his bagpipes with him.

Whenever they walked into any room he would play the pipes, like they were announcing their presence. Even into the main dining room. It was incredibly obnoxious and I actually found them to be very rude as they would interupt other professional musicians around the ship ie. piano player in Schooner, guitar player in the British Pub.

They also all wore red thong speedos to the pools... GROSS!

What a nightmare.:eek::eek::eek:

BTW - have you ever used a circular slide rule?

OMG, they had these when I was in high school! Electronic calculators were very new (and VERY expensive) so few kids had them. The school sold the circular slide rules but we were pinching pennies so I had to figure out how to use my dad's "regular" slide rule. Never quite mastered that, so I got very good at doing the multiplication and division longhand...

OMG, they had these when I was in high school! Electronic calculators were very new (and VERY expensive) so few kids had them. The school sold the circular slide rules but we were pinching pennies so I had to figure out how to use my dad's "regular" slide rule. Never quite mastered that, so I got very good at doing the multiplication and division longhand...

I also used to do multiplication and division using log tables. Remember that?

I still have my math tables from Chem Phys Handbook somewhere.

DON

We had a guy on the Jewel a couple of years ago, who sang like an angel and played guitar near the deck where the ping pong table was - we sat there in the afternoon, and were so entertained - hope someone does this again - it was great

We also had a young man on the Mariner a few years back who brought his guitar on board - all I know is that his name was Mark and he ended up in the Wig and Gavel a few nights with Jimmy Blackmore jamming, we sat there just about every night, they were fantastic together - made for an enjoyable cruise:)

The problem with amateur musicians on cruises is that while the young man on the Mariner may have been very good, what does the cruise company do if someone who is not so good hears the other passenger playing and he figures that he should also be allowed to play? You end up with a very annoyed passenger when he is told that he has to stop because he has no talent.

Better to have no amateurs than a mixed bag of amateurs. - except on talent night, of course, when everyone (good and bad) is invited.

DON

Whether someone is, or considers themselves or by others (especially family members), a good singer or musician, is very subjective. We have walked out on many "professional" singing shows in cruise ship theaters.

One person's music can be another person's noise. Take opera for example.:eek:

Archived