kids and formal nights

lv9777

This is my first cruise with HAL. I have two children. My daughter is thrilled about formal night, however, my son owns neither a tie or a jacket. Everything is fairly casual in Michigan and this attire is not even required for church or weddings. I haven't been able to find something in a second hand shop and I don't want to pay $30 for a jacket he will not likely wear again.

Should I expect this to be a problem. If we are dressed appropriately will they let my son slide? I really do not want to eat in the room. Input????:confused:

On my last cruise to Alaska there were a lot of children. Those who dressed up really seemed to enjoy being a part of the festivities.....and they looked so nice. I am sure your son will be fine....but at least get him a tie. Keep checking out those thrift shops....you might find something yet.

You know, I have no real interest in the adults dressed for formal night, but the kids are adorable! I've seen little boys in nice crisp white shirts and bow ties with a nice vest, and I think that was appropriate (and cute).

This is my first cruise with HAL. I have two children. My daughter is thrilled about formal night, however, my son owns neither a tie or a jacket. Everything is fairly casual in Michigan and this attire is not even required for church or weddings. I haven't been able to find something in a second hand shop and I don't want to pay $30 for a jacket he will not likely wear again.

Should I expect this to be a problem. If we are dressed appropriately will they let my son slide? I really do not want to eat in the room. Input????:confused:

Welcome to Cruise Critic...You never mentioned your Son's Age or when you were cruising..

IMO if he is under 12 he will be fine in a shirt, tie & perhaps a vest with dress pants..

If he is a teenager, he might not feel comfortable without a Jacket in the Main Dining Room..

However, you do not have to eat in your cabin..Hal has a wonderful Buffet called the Lido..For those who don't wish to participate in formal night this is an excellent alternative..

Hope you have wonderful time on your first cruise..And as Kween Karen mentions, keep checking those second hand shops..You should be able to get a jacket for less than $15.00..

I have a handicapped Grand Daughter...Her Mom took her to Poland several years ago for extensive physical therapy..They live in Fla & both needed warm clothes...For my daughter-in-Law, we were able to find her a lovely warm wool coat in perfect condition for about $25.00 & for our Granddaughter we were able to find several pair of warm slacks, long sleeve tops, several sweaters, a jacket & boots, for under $100 for the lot..

Hope you all have a wonderful cruise..

Cheers....:)Betty

As other's have said and after seeing on our cruises what the kids wore...some docker type pants, a long sleeve dress shirt and tie he likes, with some loafers are fine...A sweater, or cool jacket over it all if he likes, but keep it simple, no need to go out and spend gobs of money! The kids always look so nice and how often does your family dress like that for dinner so you can get some cool pics too!! :)

You might also check EBay. You can often find things quite cheap and for one-time use you don't have to worry so much about the quality. I bought my son an adorable tuxedo for $20 for our last cruise. I got it too big for him and I'm hoping it will still fit him for our upcoming November cruise. The quality isn't great, but he looked adorable. Granted he's probably alot younger, but it's still worth a look. You should be able to find a jacket for a reasonable price.

I agree with the majority of the posters. Children do NOT need to wear a jacket to the formal night. Nice pants and a shirt are fine. Enjoy your cruise and don't sweat the small stuff!

My son cruise at age 2, 3 and now 4 in December. For formal night he wore dockers, dark sandals and white or blue button down shirt from Children's Place. He was fine. My daughter who is 16 months older was all decked out in her really nice fancy dress, mary janes and little white socks. Dad has a dark suit + tie and I had my black formal dress from Macys and my bling bling sling back heels from Zappos.

I can't get my son to wear a jacket or tie. A button down shirt was tough enough. On non-formal nights in the MDR he wore dockers, same dark sandals and polo shirt.

All dressed up for formal night. Taken in the Neptune Lounge on the Noordam. Two of the nicest girls we met on the cruise. My granddaughter loved being all dressed up and she had the best time receiving complimets from other guests. The young boys that sat at our table had on nice white shirts and ties with dress slacks which looked great.

100_2186.jpg.664e4dec16013c196ca8b307b9ba451f.jpg

We just booked our first HAL cruise and this was one of my questions also. So just to clarify for me, my 9 year old son will be fine in a boy's suit that has a vest, but no jacket? Also, will my 10 year old daughter be okay in a church dress? I hope this isn't redundant. I just want to make sure. Thanks everyone.

We just booked our first HAL cruise and this was one of my questions also. So just to clarify for me, my 9 year old son will be fine in a boy's suit that has a vest, but no jacket? Also, will my 10 year old daughter be okay in a church dress? I hope this isn't redundant. I just want to make sure. Thanks everyone.

They will be fine.

You might also check EBay. You can often find things quite cheap and for one-time use you don't have to worry so much about the quality. I bought my son an adorable tuxedo for $20 for our last cruise. I got it too big for him and I'm hoping it will still fit him for our upcoming November cruise. The quality isn't great, but he looked adorable. Granted he's probably alot younger, but it's still worth a look. You should be able to find a jacket for a reasonable price.

I can second the Ebay suggestion! We also found an adorable complete tux for our two year old for less than $25 including shipping. The photos we got made it so worth it, and he just loved looking so dapper!!!

TuxJamminCam.jpg

My son was son was so impressed with how he looked on Formal Night that he insisted on having a portrait taken of just him posed on the stairs, in addition to the ones with us. And once my mother saw that photo, we never got it back!

He then proceeded to serenade the gorgeous Asst Maitre'd from Sweden with his rendition of "I'm Too Sexy for My Shirt." She ignored several 20-something males who were vying for her attention to fuss over my son ("He's so adorable!"). As they walked away, the 20-somethings groused that they'd been ----blocked by a 5 year old.

Hi,

Cute post about your son! They grow up really fast, my son loved wearing suits at 5 and even more now at 15! I see you sailed last year and this year on the Ryndam and was hoping to ask you a few questions. I am about to book the Ryndam Christmas cruise out of Tampa Dec 19 - 26 just me and my 15 year old son. It is Our first time on Holland America. Any must sees, must dos, any don'ts would be greatly appreciated. I am driving myself crazy as I cannot decide to book inside cabin to save $ for excursions or pay $200 more for the H porthole view? What did you do at Key West, Belize and Honduras? We've been several times to Cozumel on Carnival (to Mayan Ruins and Pirate Adventure) but not the other ports I mentioned. sorry so many questions, I just hardly see anything positive or current about the Ryndam and since you have cruised twice....makes me feel better. thanks

Hi, Harmony!

My Ryndam cruises were up and down the West Coast of the US, so I can't answer itinerary questions for you.

I have cruised in everything from an inside to an aft corner suite, and I would do them all again in a heartbeat.

The inside cabins do not feel any smaller to me than the regular OV. If your cabin is just a place to sleep and change clothes, then go for the inside and spend your money on shore excursions, cooking classes and dinner at the Pinnacle Grill instead.

When you're strolling the ship or having fun in the ports, it will not matter one bit what kind of cabin you're in.

That said, I do like having a window, and I like fresh air (a balcony) even better. It all comes down to where you want to spend your money.

Does that help any?

Cheers,

Friday

P.S. I've been to Key West and we didn't do a pre-planned shorex. We walked the town, browsed the shops, had lunch, etc. Great time and no fee for the excursion.

ooops fridayeyes i just realized you cruise on Ryndam to Alaska and my itinerary is below, so how about you just tell me why you love Ryndam so much. I've only been on Carnival and while they are great, I need a change of scenery..and I think HAL may be more refined (hoping anyway!)

I used to Live in Burbank, California, live 10 years in Sarasota, FL now.

thats why we depart always from:

SUN 19DEC10 Sail from Tampa 5:00pm

MON 20DEC10 Key West 1:00pm 6:00pm - we have never been here

TUE 21DEC10 Sea Day

WED 22DEC10 Belize City, Belize1 8:00am 5:00pm

THU 23DEC10 Mahogany Bay, Honduras 7:00am 5:00pm

FRI 24DEC10 Cozumel, Mexico 10:00am 8:00pm (been to mayan ruins already)

SAT 25DEC10 Sea Day

SUN 26DEC10 Debark Ship Tampa 7:00am

Ok, about the Ryndam (with apologies for thread-jacking)...

I like the Ryndam because she's small and cozy. Not cramped, not 'too small' - just right. The ship never feels cramped or crowded. I never feel lost in a sea of thousands of other cruisers. I like that by the end of the voyages, there are lots of familiar faces, whether they're pax or crew. Nothing about the size, population, layout or decor of the ship feels overwhelming.

I've cruised on Carnival, too, so here are the differences.

HAL is quieter. Fewer PA announcements, and they don't automatically play in your cabin. There's almost no neon, and the decor is less Vegas glam and more upscale resort hotel. There are fewer activities, especially at night, though I have never been bored. There are places for kids and teens, but not as extensive or varied as on Carnival. Most cruisers report that this is not a problem - their kids had a great time. Some even preferred HAL because they had more personal attention.

I like the food on Carnival, but HAL food is better in both the MDR and the Lido. On Carnival, I sometimes felt a little hassled by frequent sales pitches for drinks, t-shirts, cook books, shorex, spa, etc. Those items are all available on HAL, but the sales factor has never been intrusive.

Don't miss:

* strolling on the promenade deck in the early morning, or at sunset, or whenever suits you

* chocolate truffles while listening to a string trio in the Explorer's Lounge just outside the Pinnacle during dinner hours (free)

* Afternoon tea in the same place from 3-4 pm

* Gazing at the water while sipping a drink in the Crow's Nest

* Dinner at the Pinnacle Grill (a worthy splurge)

* The pre-recorded, guided art tour - pick up a device at the desk in the library area

* Lunch in the MDR on embarkation day if you board before 1:30, otherwise, lunch in the Lido

* coffee and a pastry at Explorations cafe while you read a book or newspaper (charge for specialty coffee, pastry is usually free)

* Bread pudding in the Lido - it's yummy, don't forget the sauce

* Trivia - very fun, check your daily planner for location and times

Overall, I find HAL cruises to be more relaxing, with time to experience being on a ship, and on the ocean, than on Carnival.

Cheers!

Friday

Archived