luggage tags... really??

ViolaSwamp

Have used the print, fold, tape method now for 5-6 cruises since they stopped providing luggage tags...Just put clear packing tape over tag, fold, punch holes thru tag, then attach with plastic cable ties (from Walmart) and you're good to go!:D:D I usually make a couple extra and put one on my carryon even tho I don't give it to the porter...happy sailing!

Barbara

I have no idea why I was having such a hard time visualizing this. I just did it - perfect! That will make it real easy.

Thanks!

Have used the print, fold, tape method now for 5-6 cruises since they stopped providing luggage tags...Just put clear packing tape over tag, fold, punch holes thru tag, then attach with plastic cable ties (from Walmart) and you're good to go!:D:D I usually make a couple extra and put one on my carryon even tho I don't give it to the porter...happy sailing!

Barbara

This is what I do also~ I put 2 strips of tape down the tag to make sure its completly covered in tape, in case there is rain the ink won't run~ I just did it last night, put on bags (we drive to port) with zip ties bought at the dollar store and will put another luggage tag inside baggage as a just in case~

I am retired from the office products industry and have been a security consultant to a large transportation company for some time.

Trust me, the three layers of paper involved in the print your own luggage tag are considerably stronger than the piece of elastic securing a usual type cardboard luggage check.

I do not like to use staples to hold on our checks; they are the weak point in the system. I use clear packing tape. I put two tags on each checked bag. I also put positive ID inside each bag. I follow this procedure simply because I know how carefully the baggage smashers treat our luggage.

I have done this on four previous cruises and all bags have arrived at our stateroom with both checks intact.

Doc

Sure, I used 3M's Clear Packing tape and wrapped it with that, then I punched a hole and used a rubberband to wrap it through and around the handle of the luggage.

Also, remember that the Color of the Tag doesnt mean anything, My cabin 2462 came in 2 different colors. So if you want you can use Black ink.

2245193250103168941S600x600Q85.jpg

We use the packing tape idea as well and have had no problems in 5 cruises.

Yep, fold around the luggage handle, staple where indicated and put a layer of clear packing tape around the tag.

Never had a problem.

Actually...... had a hard time taking them off after my last cruise!!!

Thanks! I have no way to laminate them - no time or inclination to run to Staples or wherever before we set sail.

I was hoping they'd have heavy duty tags at the pier...? No?

Worst case scenario I can throw a roll of packing tape in my carry-on. Seems like a major PITA though.

Get a roll of clear mailing tape. Cover the tags and attach (w/ tape) them to your luggage either at the pier or before you leave your hotel.

How is the few mins it takes to do this a major PITA?

You are going on a cruise.... relax:D

I take a roll of clear tape for many uses...after laminating w/tape, I overlap the ends a bit..tape over the "join". Voi-la ! always have to cut off.. tape..use for door dec, lint taker offer, wrap/secure a fragile purchase, fix a broken whatchamacalit, quicki hem, oh,and laminate bag tags! staples cant do dat!

good idea!! never thought about that one, and i bring everything but the kitchen sink!!

another thing i bring plenty of are over the door hangers, to lay out clothes for the next day. not enough hooks in the cabins!

i've never lost a tag with 5 staples on them. for 3 cruises now, but i don't fly there.

Okay... so how on God's green EARTH are the paper luggage tags supposed to remain intact just stapled to our luggage? On plain printer paper? :eek:

Am I missing something here? Are there "heavy duty" luggage tags at the pier, (that are like the ones the airlines give you) that we can use, instead of the ones I've printed out? Which I don't dare to put on before we fly down, because I'm SURE Delta won't rip them off, especially with our luggage making connections at JFK and ATL! :rolleyes:

Or should I pack shipping tape in my carry on and do it that way, taping on the flimsy tags I printed, at the pier?

I am seriously confuzzled about this. If I recall correctly, RCCL had tags at the pier. HAL sent us some tags in the mail.

What's CCL's deal?

:confused:

First of all, don't out them on before hand. I wait until I get my bags at the airport then put them on. You can get tags at the pier but I normally just grab some strapping tape and attach them that way. I don't mess with laminating but there is certainly nothing wrong with that way.

Some still send you tags but those days are slowly disappearing. They used to send you all of your documents also...... Get used to it as e-docs will soon be the only way.

Okay... so how on God's green EARTH are the paper luggage tags supposed to remain intact just stapled to our luggage? On plain printer paper? :eek:

Am I missing something here? Are there "heavy duty" luggage tags at the pier, (that are like the ones the airlines give you) that we can use, instead of the ones I've printed out? Which I don't dare to put on before we fly down, because I'm SURE Delta won't rip them off, especially with our luggage making connections at JFK and ATL! :rolleyes:

Or should I pack shipping tape in my carry on and do it that way, taping on the flimsy tags I printed, at the pier?

I am seriously confuzzled about this. If I recall correctly, RCCL had tags at the pier. HAL sent us some tags in the mail.

What's CCL's deal?

:confused:

I'm one of those people who laminate with packing tape and punch holes, then when I'm ready I attach with little zip ties (which I got a bag of 100 at the dollar store). I don't consider it a big deal, and why waste the porter's time with doing tags at the port? It's not that big a deal to do them ahead of time!

Here's a variation to the above ideas (all good, all work fine):

Instead of printing on plain paper, print on an adhesive label sheet (Avery or similar), then peel and wrap around a heavy duty luggage tag that already has a sturdy strap.

The e-tag is in PDF format, which can be edited to make multiple copies that "fit" on one of the standard label shapes like 2" x 4", or you can print on an oversize label and trim to size.

Once we took some "preprinted" tags on Avery labels and applied them to the porter-supplied tags at the port; very quick and easy.

Agree however you make them, don't have them on the bags during flight or earlier legs of the trip. Put them on at the arrival airport, or where you hand them off to a third party getting them to the ship.

We always fly in at least one (usually more) days prior to the cruise. The last night before the cruise, in the hotel, we prepare our luggage tags and repack everything for the cruise.

I bring packing tape with me, usually a half roll so that it's not so big, so I laminate and attach the tags at the hotel. The packing tape comes in handy later, when I'm bringing home delicates. I use it to keep the bubble wrap in place.

Have used the print, fold, tape method now for 5-6 cruises since they stopped providing luggage tags...Just put clear packing tape over tag, fold, punch holes thru tag, then attach with plastic cable ties (from Walmart) and you're good to go!:D:D

[/quote

This is the method I use as well. I have used rubber bands instead of the cable ties, but find that the cable ties stay on better.

We also use the packing tape as laminating tape. We then use the packing tape to attach the tags to both handles of our suitcases.

WE DO NOT STAPLE THEM!! I am emphasizing that because there have been threads where the luggage handlers at the port as well as the handlers on the ships have gotten their hands cut by the staples. It's easy to just tape or use the zip ties, just no staples.

I don't want to be guilty of cutting someone's hand because I had to use a lot of staples as a poster or so has mentioned in this thread.

I believe I'm going to go with MaryEllen's idea!

I don't feel like taking my office supply cabinet with me on vacation!! ;)

Why not do it all BEFORE you leave. Takes about 10 minutes to fold and tape the sheets of paper. I punch a hole in the tags, pack zip locks and before leaving the hotel, we put the tags on the bag. It will save you time and aggravation.

Do as I do.

I use a permant magic marker.

I put my name

the ship name

my room number

all on the side of my suitcase.

then on my next cruise I use whiteout

and repair the corrected info.

This way its there and will not get pulled or riped off.

We've always folded them, covered them in clear packing tape and secure them with the clear packing tape as well. Takes no time at all. Also, we have always put them on prior to our flights, never had a problem. The packing tape makes them very secure. Have a wonderful cruise!

I had printed my luggage tags, folded them, put packing tape over them before flying into Tampa and placed into my carry-on.

When I got to the Port of Tampa, the Porters had staplers and stapled them to my luggage.

Simple as that.

Dont worry about packing tape, it really isn't necessary.

Archived