All paid then NCL changed our cabin

Bayako

We just walked into a travel agent and booked that

cruise on the spot, so it was not a promotion at all.

After we booked, we have never looked back for

any price change or asked for upgrade but just left it there, till the final payment due.. so we paid and that was that.

Good luck with yours.

Bayako

I've encountered this on Princess, where a PAX will choose their cabin very carefully to suit their needs and then Princess will automatically "upgrade" them to a higher class cabin but in a less desirable location. The cruise line sees this as a real bennie, but for a PAX who is picky about location it can be a real mess.

I always specify "NO UPGRADES" on my booking and then call back a few weeks later to make sure that note is still there.

I have an upcoming cruise on NCL, and so far the note regarding no upgrades is still there - or at least the agents tell me it is.

Did you do this direct with NCL? I booked online and chose one of the larger interiors on the Spirit. Since there will be 4 of us in the room I definitely don't want to be 'upgraded' to a higher deck and lose all our square footage...

Do you remember what your early bird booking promotion code was? Just curious because I booked a specific BB balcony on the Sun and got the early bird book promotion also.

They currently have the same promotion going on for my cruise right now that they did when we booked - the only difference is now it's not called an early booking bonus. The Star cruising on November 20. Listed beside the BD category it says "Free Upgrade BA". No fine print, no asterisks, nothing at all that states it's a GTY booking. They also have free upgrades offered for Oceanview and Inside cabins. We were allowed to book a specific BB balcony too. I still don't understand how we went from an advertised "Free Upgrade" to "GTY". :confused: I can't say for sure, but I just get the feeling that somebody who doesn't know why they did it just picked that excuse out of the air. ::::shrug:::: It's all water under the bridge for us, since I'm mostly satisfied with our new room other than it's closer to the stairs/elevators than I'd like. Just make sure you keep an eye on your booking so you don't lose your specific room that you chose.

Hi Salty dingo. Indeed what we booked are one of those cabin good for a third person occupancy but even now as I check there are still 7 of those cabins available.

And here is the news:

TA just email me, letting me know, NCL told her that there is no way, we could have our originally booked cabin back but instead NCL offered us a slightly larger cabin.

But I am just not interest to find out whcih cabin that

will be since it could be all changed too; as I have lost my faith with NCL.

Too tired with what has happened therefore I am going to close this case, not to think about it any more but to save all my energy for the family.

But I am looking forward meeting all the everyone on Jade when time comes and have a GRAND TIME.

Thanks and thanks to YOU ALL.:)

Take care.

Have a safe and pleasant journey to Barcelona.

Bayako

Hi Salty dingo. Indeed what we booked are one of those cabin good for a third person occupancy but even now as I check there are still 7 of those cabins available.

And here is the news:

TA just email me, letting me know, NCL told her that there is no way, we could have our originally booked cabin back but instead NCL offered us a slightly larger cabin.

But I am just not interest to find out whcih cabin that

will be since it could be all changed too; as I have lost my faith with NCL.

Too tired with what has happened therefore I am going to close this case, not to think about it any more but to save all my energy for the family.

But I am looking forward meeting all the everyone on Jade when time comes and have a GRAND TIME.

Thanks and thanks to YOU ALL.:)

Take care.

Have a safe and pleasant journey to Barcelona.

Bayako

Bayako - take the larger cabin, then don't look back. Enjoy your cruise - it will be a great time on the Jade.

It appears that some of the posters on this thread are guilty of "not paying attention".

You should ALWAYS read the contract before you make a large purchase.

If you take time to read the cruise contract - that you have legally agreed to by paying the cruise fare - you will find some legalese there that allows the cruise line to change your cabin anytime - for any reason. Or for no reason at all.

Since you already agreed to this - unfortunately without reading the terms - it's a bit late to complain about it. Hopefully next time you will be a bit more careful.

But I wish you the best of luck in getting it sorted out.

It appears that some of the posters on this thread are guilty of "not paying attention".

If you take time to read the cruise contract - that you have legally agreed to by paying the cruise fare - you will find some legalese there that allows the cruise line to change your cabin anytime - for any reason. Or for no reason at all.

Since you already agreed to this - unfortunately without reading the terms - it's a bit late to complain about it. Hopefully next time you will be a bit more careful.

You are correct, however what's legal is not always what's right!:eek:

That could be the reason for the move, then. Even though you saw 7 triples available, that could have been due to cancellations, or perhaps they feel they need at least 10 cabins available, or something like that.

It is important to remember that in order to ensure this sort of thing does not happen, one should select only cabins that have the exact occupancy matching the number of people booked in the cabin.

The cruise like always has the right to move the cabin without notice when someone is booked in a cabin with a higher occupancy that the number of people booked.

I don't see any issue with what happened. A good TA would have informed you of this possibility when you booked. If they did not, then I would be unhappy with that TA.

If you booked a cabin for 3, the problem might be life-boat assignments.

It may be that the lifeboats assigned to your original cabins were filled with other 3 & 4-occupancy cabins...and that they needed to move you down the hall to be assigned to a different lifeboat.

EZ

It is important to remember that in order to ensure this sort of thing does not happen, one should select only cabins that have the exact occupancy matching the number of people booked in the cabin.

I agree this sort of thing does happen on occasion, but it's definitely not the norm. I'll further add, if we booked an aft balcony for 2 (just an example; not to be compared to OP's booking) and got bumped because it sleeps 3 or 4...Well I'd be upset too!

Now where exactly are the cabins for JUST 2 people? :D The only ones I'm aware of are "AE". That would be like saying 2 people aren't entitled to book lower rate cabins.

Bayako-

We were switched after full payment on an NCL Transatlantic a couple of years ago. After a few calls with my TA and NCL, it turned out that our original cabin was moved because a family paid for 2 cabins and wanted their kids in the cabin next to them. They were also fully paid and could not be moved. They gave us a cabin in a similar category, but it was the most forward cabin in that category on the ship. Although, we weren't happy about it, all turned out fine and we still enjoyed the trip.

OK, so I have a question about the "larger cabin for bigger groups". A roommate and I booked a CV for next year's BCN->MIA TA, which, of course, sleeps 6. We are 2 people, but booked it because we are both adult women who like our privacy, and this has two bedrooms. The suites for that cruise have been sold out for months--occasionally one pops up but disappears pretty quickly.

If they get a family of 6 that wants a CV (which are sold out anyway), they can't downgrade us to a cabin for 2, can they? I guess we'd make it work if we got UPGRADED to a DOS for 2, but they wouldn't move us to a lower category? I haven't read the long contract, but I would think that if they are going to move someone, they'd keep them in at least the same category they paid for, or upgrade them??

Hello Philip217, Flacruiser99, AntiBarb, EzeeAspi & Shellpj,

Thank you all taking time to reply my post and give me

lots of insight and shared your past experience.

It is not all that bad in fact, it is a good experience for me

and I have learned a great deal with my posting. Case closed with I am at peace with myself.

We are going to enjoy our cruise.

Thank once again from you guys and everyone who has shared their feelings for me.

Bayako

I know you're ready for this issue to be closed but I will say that this issue pops up on this board at least a couple times a year. It must be a pretty regular occurance.

I remember one in particular. A woman had booked 2 connecting rooms to accomodate her family. Same thing, she was very careful about selecting this room but her main concern was the connecting rooms. Well, she gets to the pier on the day of boarding and they have changed her rooms. One room is several doors down from the other room! So, at the pier she thru a fit and refused to board the ship with these room assignment. She felt that if she boarded the ship they would say...."sorry there's nothing we can do". She felt by refusing to board, the issue would quickly get escalated to someone in a postion of authority who could make the change. It worked, she got her rooms back.

She came on this board just like you and explained what happened. When she did that, other cruisers posted their similar stories. Nothing so severe as connecting cabins getting split up but still.

Thank and thank for all of everyone's response!

We all deserved to be treated with fairness.

NCL,must learn to treat all Her past and future clients

with a good principal & respect each of us.

Bayako

Have you emailed Kevin Sheehan? When I had a problem I emailed him and one of his assistants got right back to me. Usually someone from NCL monitors these threads and picks up on problems. ksheehan@ncl.com

This is the policy of ALL cruise lines. They do not do it very often but they have the legal right..just like an itinerary change, cancelled port, etc.

Thanks for your info.

No, I did not since contact Kevin since I did not know there is such a gentleman out there and secondly I was hoping between NCL and our TA could solve this kind of very minor problem in the front.

Anyway, no matter what, what's done have been done and NCL since then at least try to make the situation a bit better.

As for us, it is a learning curve and I have accept that.

Hopefully whoever did for some of their own reason or really there is a good reason, I am not going to find out since what's the point right?

I've read the ticket contract and noted

that any cruise lines could've changed our stateroom if needed.

Would it be better at least try to contact the passengers

and to let them know they needed their stateroom for some

reason.

Then at least, those involved would have known ahead of time instead like that couple did not know till they were at the gate. Running a cruise line is such a big business, for sure they will can spare one tiny man power just to make a few calls and I think it is very good PR.

As for me, I am lucky having you all there did your very

best helping me, talking with me and even pointed out to me that I should read the ticket contract before signing

the line.

Thanks and I am so blessed.

Bayako

Thanks for your reply.

My agent told me that she could not do a thing.

But like you said, I feel the same it is up to the agent

to have this sorted out but she kept saying she cannot,

then what can I do.

The principal is wrong for NCL to change the cabin

without consulting our agent or me.

I would like to know, can we

really change our cabin as we like?

Thanks,

Bayamo

WRONG.... you agent can do something if they want to.

It's a simple fact... NCL is lying to you as they usually do in this situation. Someone wanted your room who is more important than you and so NCL moved you. It used to happen frequently with NCL... and every time... it was the customer or TA's fault... never NCL.

The exact same thing happened to us aboard the Dawn in 2006. Sometime between November and April, someone at NCL switched our group of rooms. We had adjoining rooms across from an interior that was another member of our party.

We found ourselves down the hall several rooms. Our TA and I all called NCL and they said the same thing: "someone from your end must have made the change." Uhm, I don't think so.

Our TA began to call everyone at NCL and would call them regularly. At least one phone call to someone every week if not more often. I called regularly, we both wrote to NCL. I even got the posters on this board to make public pleas on here for NCL to move us back. We asked what the price was of a suite with connecting room which was still showing available...they wouldn't even talk to us about that. (our TA thought that NCL was thinking we wanted a free upgrade so they wouldn't even talk about it.)

Finally, about 10 days before sailing, NCL relented and all of a sudden "found" three rooms together just a couple doors down from our original rooms. (and two were adjoining). How they "found" those I would love to hear someday but NCL did move us. BUT it took persistance on the part of both us and our wonderful TA. (and me posting on here every day with updates and the regulars on this board also supporting me.)

So, fight for your rooms. It is obvious that they wanted your old room for someone else. It's a shame that NCL doesn't have enough honesty or integrity to ask if you would move. (the lying is normal for NCL.) Of course with Andy Stuart working there.... what do you expect.

We on this board will support you.

Funny that's exactly what our TA told us that NCL said

to her:

"Someone from your end must have made the change."

For a while, I thought my hubby did but then, we both

picked that cabin together in the middle of the ship therefore there is no reason he will change his mind and to pick a cabin not in the middle.

Since I will be away for the rest of Oct till the end of Nov. therefore I have made all the necessary cruise tags.

Fingers crossed NCL will do something right now and to leave us as it is.

Thanks and nice talking with you.

Bayako

Archived