OBC shareholder issue - this why I use a TA

nannyny

Sent my shareholder paperwork etc. to RCCL, they replied NO! Said I had an OBC for onboard booking. This booking was done 3 years ago prior to the new rules. Made a phone call to my TA, he made a phone call and all was settled in an hour. I received an email from RCCL Investor Relations apologizing and agreeing to place my shareholder OBC on the upcoming sailing.

This is why a use a TA, he's great.

Glad this worked out for you. I had a similar situation and just had to remind the folks in the reservation dept. of the grandfathering issue and it was handled on the phone without any problem, the reservation was made directly with Celebrity. As time goes by I imagine the folks in the reservation dept. will need to be reminded that these older next cruise certificates still entitle the owner to combine multiple OBC's and other benefits.

Three years in the planning. Wow. Good for you.

The open booking was made 3 years ago. That's the beauty of availing oneself to the extra $$. Unfortunately shareholders can no longer do that under the new rules, it's one or the other. However, TA OBCs and credit card OBCs are still combinable.

I have just converted some Celebrity rewards for OBC - first time, hope it works.

Glad this worked out for you. I had a similar situation and just had to remind the folks in the reservation dept. of the grandfathering issue and it was handled on the phone without any problem, the reservation was made directly with Celebrity.

Agreed, I'd say whoever approached them would get it sorted out, without needing to be a TA.

The majority of claims through now would be non-combinable so they probably just presumed it was like others initially.

The other issue is that they won't honor the shareholder obc if you booked a residency rate or other discounted fares.

I believe this is incorrect. I just recently received an e-mail from Shareholder benefits approving my obc for 3 cruises I have booked at a resident rate.

Anne :)

The other issue is that they won't honor the shareholder obc if you booked a residency rate or other discounted fares.

I can't quote all the exact exemptions but I know residency discount is not - I combined with my shareholder/TA rebate OBC and booked a sweet residency rate on my last cruise a couple of months ago with no problem.

As time goes by I imagine the folks in the reservation dept. will need to be reminded that these older next cruise certificates still entitle the owner to combine multiple OBC's and other benefits.

I'm waiting on an email confirming our dining at Qsine - had to speak with 3 different Cap. Club reps who weren't too sure of how to handle my request, never got a return call either. I'm still grateful we have the shareholder benefit, for now.

I wish I could book cruises 3 years in advance! I am lucky if I am able to get DH to book less than a year out!

No one can book a cruise 3 years out. This was an open booking, I think they call it Celebrity passage. You put down $100 and you get a piece of paper with a number on it. When you decide what cruise you want to go on, you give your TA or Celebrity that passage number and you get a OBC. You can still get them now but the OBC is not combinable with some other OBCs.

Pat

Archived