Western Carribean Passport Needed?

CruiserGus

We are leaving on the Crown Princess on 12-4-10 on a western carribean cruise. The DW and I have passports. Some relatives who would like to go with us have asked whether or not they need a passport. The cruise originates in Fort Lauderdale and returns to Fort Lauderdale. We visit Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Roatan, and Princess Keys.

I have called 1-800-PRINCESS and they will not give me a definitive answer. I called the US State Department and they will not give me a definitive answer.

We took our daughter on a cruise this past April out of Fort Lauderdale on the Royal Princess and she only needed a birth certificate. But that cruise only went to St. Thomas (US Territory) and Princess Keys.

Anybody have any personal experience? Do my relatives need a passport? They are all US citizens.

We are leaving on the Crown Princess on 12-4-10 on a western carribean cruise. The DW and I have passports. Some relatives who would like to go with us have asked whether or not they need a passport. The cruise originates in Fort Lauderdale and returns to Fort Lauderdale. We visit Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Roatan, and Princess Keys.

I have called 1-800-PRINCESS and they will not give me a definitive answer. I called the US State Department and they will not give me a definitive answer.

We took our daughter on a cruise this past April out of Fort Lauderdale on the Royal Princess and she only needed a birth certificate. But that cruise only went to St. Thomas (US Territory) and Princess Keys.

Anybody have any personal experience? Do my relatives need a passport? They are all US citizens.

If they are US citizens they do not need a passport at this time for a closed loop US to US cruise.

If you have to get off on one of the Islands and fly home you would have a big problem without one.

You will not get thru customs upon your return without a valid passport. have you filled out your data with princess yet?,

they require your passport #s before they will send your docs out to you ! if they wait to long to apply, they need to pay extra for expedited service.

You will not get thru customs upon your return without a valid passport. have you filled out your data with princess yet?,

they require your passport #s before they will send your docs out to you ! if they wait to long to apply, they need to pay extra for expedited service.

Not true.

You will not get thru customs upon your return without a valid passport. have you filled out your data with princess yet?, they require your passport #s before they will send your docs out to you ! if they wait to long to apply, they need to pay extra for expedited service.
Not true unless you fly home from somewhere other than FLL or find yourself on one of the islands unable to re-board the ship. With a closed-loop cruise, a passport isn't required but it is strongly recommended. You just never know if you might need one. Once you board the ship, you have left the U.S.

I personally never leave the U.S. without a passport, even if someone says I don't need it.

Not true.

If you go to the state department site, and look up Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative Passport Requirements, it states: Returning to the US from the Caribbean Region on a commercial cruise line REQUIRES a US Passport book or card.

If you go to the state department site, and look up Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative Passport Requirements, it states: Returning to the US from the Caribbean Region on a commercial cruise line REQUIRES a US Passport book or card.

Not on a closed loop US cruise.

Son just came back 2 weeks ago (Emerald FLL to FLL) and his GF did not have one.

You don't need one.

An earlier thread had this US State department site which you may want to view:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/americans/americans_1252.html

Princess makes it very clear that each of us are responsible for getting the correct documentation so hope you'll be able to get whatever you need or they won't allow you to board. I've read too many horror stories about this happening & even if you say you won't get off the ship in any port it doesn't matter. They consider you to be in a destination whether you actually get off the ship or not.

At least that's our understanding about this but one thing is certain...each of us are responsible for having the correct documents.

And if you get misinformation on the phone from a Princess rep or anyone else, from what I've read, you're still responsible for having the correct documents. I don't recall any stories where someone was able to get a refund but it's probably slim & none & nothing you would care to find out.

Hope you'll get a definitive answer & will have a great cruise! :cool:

The EXCEPTION is a "closed loop" cruise. Here's what it says on the Princess website:

http://www.princess.com/news/cruisingarticlesdetails.jsp?cruisingArticleId=20090331

"If your voyage falls under the "closed loop" rule you only need to carry a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver's license) and a certified birth certificate (children traveling with an adult are also required to carry a birth certificate). A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within one year of your birth."

They do not need a passport for a closed-loop cruise such as you are describing.

There was a recent thread from a CC member who was denied boarding because the birth record that they had used on previous cruises was deemed insufficient at the embarkation. Yes, it was not a birth certificate but a hospital birth record so it never should have been accepted. However they were denied and not given any compensation as I remember.

So, if they decide to go make sure that they have the raised seal or equivalent birth certificate. They probably have time for an expedited passport if they want to be sure.

Charlie

when you board the ship in FLL you plan to return to FLL on the ship. There are occasions when the ship will return to FLL without you. If you have a medical situation develop while at sea, and visit the ship's "hospital", the Medical Officer will make the decision for you whether you are able to remain on the ship for the duration or will leave the ship at a port for medical care. It is always their call ! if this happens to you, you will need a passport to re-enter the US. You always take a chance of complications if you travel without it. I wouldn't do it.

when you board the ship in FLL you plan to return to FLL on the ship. There are occasions when the ship will return to FLL without you. If you have a medical situation develop while at sea, and visit the ship's "hospital", the Medical Officer will make the decision for you whether you are able to remain on the ship for the duration or will leave the ship at a port for medical care. It is always their call ! if this happens to you, you will need a passport to re-enter the US. You always take a chance of complications if you travel without it. I wouldn't do it.

Did you not read post #2?

I agree completely. Like not having insurance, it's a gamble that nothing will go wrong.

On my Coral Princess cruise last January, a woman was just walking down the street in Acapulco and talking with friends. She wasn't looking where she was going, tripped on uneven pavement and fell, breaking her arm in four places. She flew home from the next major port.

They don't need one but they probably should have one. If it's not until December, they have plenty of time to get it. And then, the whole world is their oyster! Expedited service is really easy, and at this time of year, having nearly two months is plenty of time.

We do not have passports. When we went on Crown last December (Western Caribbean), we were questioned in customs in Ft Lauderdale when we got back because we where in Roatan (Honduras). I told them that we were told that we didn't require a passport since it was a "closed loop" cruise to the Caribbean. They said that Honduras is not part of the Caribbean. They let us go because of many other people having the same issue & there is still things to be worked out. Has anybody else had this problem?

Thanks, Everybody....I think!

After reading Pam's link, I feel a little better about advising them that they do not need a passport. That will be with the caveat that if something happens on the cruise and they have to fly back from one of islands, they are on their own! Thanks for all the replies!

We do not have passports. When we went on Crown last December (Western Caribbean), we were questioned in customs in Ft Lauderdale when we got back because we where in Roatan (Honduras). I told them that we were told that we didn't require a passport since it was a "closed loop" cruise to the Caribbean. They said that Honduras is not part of the Caribbean. They let us go because of many other people having the same issue & there is still things to be worked out. Has anybody else had this problem?
Honduras is not in the Caribbean; it's in Central America. Here's what the State Department says about Honduras:

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: A U.S. passport valid for at least six months from the date of entry is required to enter Honduras. A visa is not required for American citizens, but tourists must provide evidence of return or onward travel. Parents should not rely on birth certificates for their children’s travel; rather, prior to travel they should obtain U.S. passports for infants and minors born in the United States. U.S. citizens are encouraged to carry a photocopy of their U.S. passports with them at all times so that if questioned by local officials proof of identity and U.S. citizenship are readily available.

In June 2006, Honduras entered a “Central America-4 (CA-4) Border Control Agreement” with Guatemala, El Salvador, and Nicaragua. Under the terms of the agreement, citizens of the four countries may travel freely across land borders from one of the countries to any of the others without completing entry and exit formalities at immigration checkpoints. U.S. citizens and other eligible foreign nationals who legally enter any of the four countries may similarly travel among “CA-4” countries without obtaining additional visas or tourist entry permits for the other three countries.

Honduras is not in the Caribbean; it's in Central America. Here's what the State Department says about Honduras:

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: A U.S. passport valid for at least six months from the date of entry is required to enter Honduras. A visa is not required for American citizens, but tourists must provide evidence of return or onward travel. Parents should not rely on birth certificates for their children’s travel; rather, prior to travel they should obtain U.S. passports for infants and minors born in the United States. U.S. citizens are encouraged to carry a photocopy of their U.S. passports with them at all times so that if questioned by local officials proof of identity and U.S. citizenship are readily available.

In June 2006, Honduras entered a “Central America-4 (CA-4) Border Control Agreement” with Guatemala, El Salvador, and Nicaragua. Under the terms of the agreement, citizens of the four countries may travel freely across land borders from one of the countries to any of the others without completing entry and exit formalities at immigration checkpoints. U.S. citizens and other eligible foreign nationals who legally enter any of the four countries may similarly travel among “CA-4” countries without obtaining additional visas or tourist entry permits for the other three countries.

Does that mean that they don't need a passport or does that mean they do?

One thing I don't understand is why you don't think you need a passport to visit Mexico and other foreign countries, including Canada.

I honestly believe in similar to "when in rome..." If I need a passport to enter you need one to enter mine or any country. Am I wrong?

Does that mean that they don't need a passport or does that mean they do?
I think it means they do. I know that "closed loop" refers to the Caribbean but Honduras isn't considered (by them or the State Department) to be in the Caribbean but part of Central America. It might be semantics but it's kind of like saying the U.S. is in the Atlantic. It borders the Atlantic but it's not IN the Atlantic, it's in North America.

I just have a hard time understanding why anyone leaving the U.S. would do so without a passport but that's me. It's your proof of citizenship and an internationally-recognized ID.

Hi Gus.

My wife and I were on the Royal back in April too. We remember meeting you. Hope you and your wife and daughter are keeping well.

I would strongly advise your relatives to have passports. You never know what might happen. In February we had to leave the Crown Princess in Grand Cayman (we were on the same itinerary as you will be on in December) due to Lizabeth falling ill. Without passports we would have been in a lot of trouble. I personally think it's not worth the risk.

Take care and enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Paul

Hi Gus.

My wife and I were on the Royal back in April too. We remember meeting you. Hope you and your wife and daughter are keeping well.

I would strongly advise your relatives to have passports. You never know what might happen. In February we had to leave the Crown Princess in Grand Cayman (we were on the same itinerary as you will be on in December) due to Lizabeth falling ill. Without passports we would have been in a lot of trouble. I personally think it's not worth the risk.

Take care and enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Paul

I remember you guys too, Paul. Everything is going great for us. This is going to be our retirement cruise! Kim is retiring Nov. 5th and I'm retiring on Nov. 30th.

Gus

One thing I don't understand is why you don't think you need a passport to visit Mexico and other foreign countries, including Canada.

I honestly believe in similar to "when in rome..." If I need a passport to enter you need one to enter mine or any country. Am I wrong?

I think that you are looking at this backwards.

Most/All Caribbean Islands and Central American countries that are visited by cruise ships waive the need for a passport to enter their countries. So if you arrive by cruise ship you need only a photo ID and ship card for that voyage.

The need arises when you return. It's then that you need a passport (or birth certificate & ID for a closed loop cruise) to enter the US.

Charlie

We visit Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Roatan, and Princess Keys.

It's probably only a matter of time before ships calling on Roatan and other ports not covered by the closed loop provision will require a passport to board. Passengers may or may not get that information in time to get a passport. The way that cruise lines (all, not just Princess) communicates changes can be iffy at best.

Princess' FAQ has this statement about the using a BC and ID for closed loop voyages:

Voyages that call to Central or South America are excluded and only Passports or WHTI compliant documents are accepted.
Click Here for a link to that page of the FAQ.

I'm not going to be surprised when I read a thread about "Denied Boarding - Birth Certificate Not Good Enough for Central America."

I do hope the cruise goes well whatever your relatives decide.

Charlie

Archived