How should I split up my 3 1/2 days in the keys?

klepton

That sounds awesome! Not sure DW would enjoy it as much as me though. :D

Are you familiar with the area at all? I'm comfortable operating boats, both my dad and grandpa had boats throughout my entire childhood and I still take my dad's boat out a few times every year. I have no problem taking it on the inland lakes or lake erie, however I'd be hesitant to just rent a boat and head out to the ocean without a guide. I've also done a lot of fishing, but all freshwater. So going fishing by myself in the ocean for the first time makes me a little squeamish as well. How much experience did you have with boating and fishing in that area before you rented?

I've been boating in the keys all my life and my parents live in Key West part of the year and I recommend you do NOT rent a boat in the keys.

The keys are very very shallow.

The fines for digging up sea grass are very steep, $50 per square foot and thirty seconds in too shallow water and you are looking at $500 in fines.

The keys are patroled by at least ten different law enforcement agencies on the water and they are militant. I can promise you if you get outside a channel marker, you'll run aground and they'll see you.

The keys are very shallow and difficult to navigate.

Can you read charts?

As for the Fort Meyers ferry, have a backup plan. If it is too rough they won't go and in the winter, that happens at least once a week. Also, you don't want to be on that ferry in rough water. It is miserable.

Otherwise, I agree that Key West would probably be your best bet.

It is still a family joke that when we got back to the Marriot key largo for the night the restaurant special was yellow tail snapper in a lobster sauce. As we threw back yellowtail's all day not knowing they were good.

That was our first time in the keys.

We will be back there next month.

Robbie's is in Islamorada yahoo them.

Any restaurant in town will cook your catch for you.

Cheeka Lodge on Islamorada. But really, why the Keys? Why not Miami Beach? Easier, about the same money-wise.

Check out the hotels up Collins, Sagamore, Ritz-Carlton, etc. December is high-season, so no real bargains. You won't need the car. Take a cab to your hotel from POM, and the Airport Flyer from Miami Beach to the airport.

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/airport_flyer_brochure.pdf

As for your return. You'll need to be at MIA by 3:30 PM, or 4:00 at the latest for an International flight. Traffic on a weekday is likely to be very heavy. The road in and out of the Keys can easily get congested with a guy with a flat tire. Coming into Miami, it just gets worse. You'll spend all of Monday on the road.

This is your second post in this thread discouraging people from visiting the Keys. It's obvious you're not impressed with them, but that's not what people are asking for:rolleyes:

This is your second post in this thread discouraging people from visiting the Keys. It's obvious you're not impressed with them, but that's not what people are asking for:rolleyes:

That particular poster had a limited amount of time and was asking very specific questions. I was offering an alternative that might make more sense, given his/her constraints.

Also, I believe that I was pretty clear about what kinds of activities are fun in the Keys. Deep Sea Fishing, Snorkleing, Drinking and lazing about. If a person isn't into these things, then I'll be honest and say that other places in South Florida might be a better bet for them.

Did you stay at Kona Kai? If so, how did you like it? It's a property we have considered in the past . Looks good on their web site

Yes, we did stay at Kona Kai, and it was fabulous. Other than our own conch cottage in Key West (booked through centercourtkw.com), it was the best place we have stayed.

I looked for the pay your birth year promo, and found it (link below), but they have removed Key West from their list of available cities :(

http://www.starwoodpromos.com/sheratonpayyourbirthyear/?IM=SPG_10567607SS_SI_MX_NAD

Also, I believe that I was pretty clear about what kinds of activities are fun in the Keys. Deep Sea Fishing, Snorkleing, Drinking and lazing about. If a person isn't into these things, then I'll be honest and say that other places in South Florida might be a better bet for them.

The only things to do in the keys outside of Key West are fishing, diving, boating, snorkeling, and being a slug. Ruthless is spot on in her assessment.

I, personally, would pick the Keys over Miami Beach/South Beach ANY DAY!! Different Strokes for Different Folks, I guess!:D

I second that. Unless they were joking, I don't understand the post above yours that appeared to complain all there is to do in the Keys is fish, dive, snorkle, boat and relax - sounds like a pretty good list to me! One thing the Keys don't have is beautiful beaches, we go to Marco or Fort Meyers for that either before or after Key West:D

I second that. Unless they were joking, I don't understand the post above yours that appeared to complain all there is to do in the Keys is fish, dive, snorkle, boat and relax - sounds like a pretty good list to me! One thing the Keys don't have is beautiful beaches, we go to Marco or Fort Meyers for that either before or after Key West:D

I think what Ruthless is trying to say is that a lot of first timers go to the keys with no idea what to expect except for beautiful beaches and the activities other beach areas have.

The keys are very boring unless you are into the above and more than a couple of days and most people go stir crazy.

Unless you take your boat to the keys with you, renting a boat is very expensive. They start at around $400 for a half day. Even snorkeling and diving starts around $100 per person for a half day. Add two to four people to that and one day your budget is blown.

My parents live in Key West during season and I've been boating in Ilsamorada since I was a kid. I love the keys but I also know them.

I think what Ruthless is trying to say is that a lot of first timers go to the keys with no idea what to expect except for beautiful beaches and the activities other beach areas have.

The keys are very boring unless you are into the above and more than a couple of days and most people go stir crazy.

Unless you take your boat to the keys with you, renting a boat is very expensive. They start at around $400 for a half day. Even snorkeling and diving starts around $100 per person for a half day. Add two to four people to that and one day your budget is blown.

My parents live in Key West during season and I've been boating in Ilsamorada since I was a kid. I love the keys but I also know them.

Exactly my point. I'm NOT into any of those things, and the Keys bore me to tears. My 'niece' is getting married in Key Largo in November (hence our trip/cruise) and while I had the option of staying at the hotel for the wedding, the thought of being down there for even two days gave me claustrophobia. (and yes, I know Key Largo isn't really "the Keys".)

The beaches aren't that great, the restaurants are very expensive and the tourists give me hives. If we dove, snorkled, partied or boated, completely different story. We're more museums, art, visiting friends and shopping vacationers.

Exactly my point. I'm NOT into any of those things, and the Keys bore me to tears. My 'niece' is getting married in Key Largo in November (hence our trip/cruise) and while I had the option of staying at the hotel for the wedding, the thought of being down there for even two days gave me claustrophobia. (and yes, I know Key Largo isn't really "the Keys".)

The beaches aren't that great, the restaurants are very expensive and the tourists give me hives. If we dove, snorkled, partied or boated, completely different story. We're more museums, art, visiting friends and shopping vacationers.

We love the Keys and are not bored in any way, shape or form. In fact, we will be there two months this winter.

The question I have as I am new to any travel forum, is why if the Keys bore anyone to death, that individual would first (a) read the thread to begin with; (b) respond to a question specifically asked about the Keys with the intent of leading them elsewhere (especially when the tourist give them hives) © assume that anyone's interest are the same as their own??? No wonder I am confused? :confused:

We love the Keys and are not bored in any way, shape or form. In fact, we will be there two months this winter.

The question I have as I am new to any travel forum, is why if the Keys bore anyone to death, that individual would first (a) read the thread to begin with; (b) respond to a question specifically asked about the Keys with the intent of leading them elsewhere (especially when the tourist give them hives) © assume that anyone's interest are the same as their own??? No wonder I am confused? :confused:

Agreed! I'm never bored though. I spent too much of my childhood being told "I'll give you something to do if you're bored!"

I was going to answer the original post, but was afraid I'd be asked 'why do I live in the Keys..ick'. I was already offended.. Then again, I'm always ok with less tourists :-) haha But to be fair, I was one over 10 yrs ago...

My opinion only...

Yes, the drive is beautiful but yes, allow lots of time. I've never been stuck more than 20 min for an accident, but I'm not doing the 18 mile stretch every day. A lot of people leave late on their last day and spend that night in Key Largo or by the airport. Otherwise allow 5 hrs from Key West.

The beauty of the Keys is looking at, being on, or in the water. As pointed out before, it's not known for beaches. (I think the islands look ok, but have been told they look rather scrub-like..ha)

For a first-timer Key West is the place to go (unless your sole purpose is fishing...see below). There is a lot of history in Key West, and it can be quite interesting. A lot of it has gotten rather kitschy for tourists, but that can be fun. A sunset cruise on a catamaran or schooner is lots of fun; as is a snorkel boat during the day (and both can be had for less than $50 if you look around).

One of the best things to do in Key West is go out to Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas. It's an all day trip though...like 8 am and back at 6 pm. They used to have sea planes make the trip too, but it's just the boats now.

If fishing is the big purpose, and you don't care about Key West...I'd recommend staying elsewhere in the Keys (the fishing is better).

Bad traffic weeks:

Now through the end of the month (Fantasy Fest and Goombay)

Beginning of November (Parrotheads - usually)

The week between xmas and New Years is pure hell

Spring Break is now pretty spread out through March/early April

Poker Run in mid September

Lobster Mini Season last week in July; then regular Season Aug 6th or so.

Other than those weeks, traffic is mostly the Florida drive down stuff...Friday afternoons southbound, and Sunday northbound.

Now I'll go back to researching my cruise out of Miami... I think I'll stay downtown and go to Bayside!

VERY well put!!

If someone indicates that large, expansive beaches (or art, museums, etc) are a high priority I'll be the first one to tell them they may want to reconsider visiting the Keys. But it's not helpful to reply to a thread with general questions about the the Keys by jumping in and saying "I don't like the Keys, you should go to Miami..........."? There's a reason the Keys are popular, they fulfill the vacation desires of many people.

The keys bore me to death and I spend a lot of time down there.

Many people confuse the keys with Key West and the two could not be more different.

Key West has nothing to do with the rest of the keys.

So my current plan is:

Fly into TPA on a Sat night, drop off DD at her grandpa's, and then renting a car and driving down to Key Largo that night for a late checkin, probably about 1:00 AM. Then, we'll have Sunday, monday, Tuesday, and part of Weds before we take the key west express up to Fort Myers. We'll then rent another car, pick up DD, spend a leisurely day driving the Tamiami Trail stopping at the sights, before getting to Miami to start our cruise.

So my question is, how should I divide my time in the keys? I was thinking all day Sunday in Key Largo, then driving to Key West on Monday while stopping wherever we wanted on the way. Then Mon night through Weds afternoon in Key West. Is this a good plan or will I be missing out on certain things in other parts of the keys?

Also, In late March/early April, will the spring break crowd change the atmosphere of the keys?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Here is some information that may help you

KEY WEST INFORMATION:

http://www.explorekeywesthistory.com...land-Shot4.jpg

http://www.historictours.com/keywest/

http://www.visitflorida.com/Key_West

http://www.keysnet.com/

http://keysso.net/images/index_photo...lighthouse.jpg

http://keywest.com/newbigmap.gif

http://www.keywest.com/graphics/KeyWestsm.jpg

http://www.keywesttravelguide.com/ke...-coupons.html#

http://www.keywest.com/

http://www.keywesttravelguide.com/

http://www.see-keywest.com/

http://www.sunsetcelebration.org/history.htm

Renata Lavenir

Conch Electric Cars of Key West

Ph: 305.294.0995

Fax: 877.718.1232

Mention this board and you will pay conch rates

(Conch rates is known as the locals)

[quote name='bouhunter']VERY well put!!

If someone indicates that large, expansive beaches (or art, museums, etc) are a high priority I'll be the first one to tell them they may want to reconsider visiting the Keys. But it's not helpful to reply to a thread with general questions about the the Keys by jumping in and saying "I don't like the Keys, you should go to Miami..........."? There's a reason the Keys are popular, they fulfill the vacation desires of many people.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be too hard on her. She was clear about her reasons for not liking the keys, which is all anyone can ask. Personally, I'm not into art or museums, but if I were I would have appreciated her advice. I know in other situations I've asked very specific questions about things and been turned off by other people's experiences, so in the end it was all good. A good example of that is I had it all planned to do the key west express, but when someone on this thread mentioned that it's unreliable because of weather cancellations that caused me to do more research. I found many people had this experience, and it's made me rethink my plans.

Archived