How should I split up my 3 1/2 days in the keys?

klepton

So my current plan is:

Fly into TPA on a Sat night, drop off DD at her grandpa's, and then renting a car and driving down to Key Largo that night for a late checkin, probably about 1:00 AM. Then, we'll have Sunday, monday, Tuesday, and part of Weds before we take the key west express up to Fort Myers. We'll then rent another car, pick up DD, spend a leisurely day driving the Tamiami Trail stopping at the sights, before getting to Miami to start our cruise.

So my question is, how should I divide my time in the keys? I was thinking all day Sunday in Key Largo, then driving to Key West on Monday while stopping wherever we wanted on the way. Then Mon night through Weds afternoon in Key West. Is this a good plan or will I be missing out on certain things in other parts of the keys?

Also, In late March/early April, will the spring break crowd change the atmosphere of the keys?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

It really depends on what you want to do. Personally, I wouldn't spend 3 1/2 hours in the Keys. If you're into snorkeling, deep sea fishing, drinking, etc, then each place has a different attraction.

Islamorda has Cheeka Lodge, I went to a wedding here. Known for their tiki bar, the rooms are big, the property is lovely and they have a beach.

I like Pier House in Key West, remember this is a port on a lot of cruises so in my opinion, it's incredibly touristy. T-Shirt shops, candles, fudge, that kind of dreck. Truman's Winter White House, buried treasure and Hemmingway's 6-toed cats. It's all something to see, but I think you have to work too hard to actually amuse yourself, especially if you don't drink.

Bring lots of Off and sunscreen.

I would spend more time in Key West if you like walking around a little town. There isn't much along the way and it's a long ride down (unless you like fishing and diving and relaxing). There is the Dolphin Research Center in Marathon.

I second the notion of spending most of your time in Key West. Of course I have vacationed there for 20 years and lived there for six so I obvoiusly love it. If I was you, I would try to stay at a Guesthouse (Key West's version of a B&B) preferably one in Old Town. You might want to compare doing a one way rental to Key West and another back. Usually there aren't any drop fees and you won't need your car once you are there. If you like to dine, there are wonderful wonderful restaurants. If you like to drink there are plenty of bars to do that. If you like to do nothing, you can certainly do that too. Check out the Key West Port board for suggestions of fun things to do while there. Regarding Spring Break, yes it changes the atmosphere but if you don't stay at one of the chain places out on the beach and don't hang out at the lower end of Duval, you won't notice it much.

If you want a great lunch on your drive down, I highly recommend the seafood place at the end of 50th Street in Maraton on the gulf side.

Thanks for all the great input so far guys! Your suggestions have echoed the few people I've talked to that have been to the keys, in that it's best to spend most of the time in Key West. At first I was thinking about doing a dive in Key Largo, an Offshore fishing trip in Islamorada, a hike in Big Pine Key, and then spend the rest of the time in Key West. However looking at prices of fishing trips, and not yet knowing if my ears can handle scuba, that may not work out. While we certainly enjoy a drink or two, we are a little past the partying stage of our lives... :) So if the spring break areas can be avoided we probably will.

Can you let me know what part of Key West is considered the Old Town?

Clay Clayton - Thanks for the tip on Lunch in Marathon. I absolutely love seafood, but DW doesn't. Are there any non-seafood items on the menu? Also, do you happen to know the name of the place?

Thanks a bunch!

I am glad you asked...i screwed up on the street ...its at the Gulf end of 35th street. Not sure where my brain was/is. It's called Keys Fisheries Market and Marina - its picnic tables and a roll of paper towels sort of place. You can check them out at keysfisheries dot com. They have one chicken dish on their menu. Don't get the crabcake - its nothing special.

If you want my dining suggestions in Key West drop me a email to BigNCBear@aol.com. You will just need to keep in mind its been four years since I lived there so no guarantees that my recommendations are still valid!

My 12 yo daughter and I were in KW last year during her Spring Break. Sunday through Thursday it's a different place than Friday and Saturday.

We enjoyed having lots to do and see and plenty of choices on where to eat. Staying at a guest house is really cool as they each have their own personalities. We rented bikes for the week and a car for one day to go to Marathon to visit the Dolphin Research Center, get pedicures, eat dinner and attend a community theater show.

Barbara

We love Key West and the Bight Area (Sea Port). Great places to eat and drink on the waterfront. The only place I would recommend stopping on the way to Key West would be Bahia Honda beach - best beach in the Keys, just past Marathon. Key Largo seems like it is still on the mainland, but snorkeling there is very good. We stayed at the Key West Harbor Inn in August and highly recommend it. You can walk to the bight area or Old Town where everything is.

http://www.keywestharborinn.com/

http://www.keywestcity.com/department/division.asp?fDD=13-76

We took the Key West Express from Ft. Myers to Key West and it was a blast!!

You might want to check out the forums on Trip Advisor - you'll get so much info there!

Another vote for the Harry S Truman Summer White House--a great take with lots of history. It is just a 5-10 minute walk from Mallory Square.

Of all the glass bottom boats rides we have taken over the years, the coral reefs off of Key West are the best. I highly recommend it!

We have spent alot of time in the Keys, and will be in Key West for two months this winter. Key West is alot more than drinking, and we aren't drinkers (nor are we young...only at heart!). I guess that opinion might be valid if you only saw Duvall at 2:00am!!

For Key Largo, I would recommend checking into the eco tour. It was on a Zodiak boat and picked us up at the dock where we were staying (Kona Kai Resort...fabulous). He brought us through mangroves and into the start of the everglades, and we even had dolphins following us. On the day we went, it was only the tour guide and us!

For Key West, our best tour was the around the entire island tour by jetski. It is a spectacular way to see the island. It could have just been our guide, but I never knew there was so much to learn!

I should add, that the Sherton is running a special again which we took advantage of last winter. On the first night I believe you pay $199, for you second and third night you pay the amount equal to the year you were born (born in 1960, pay $60).

take a snorkeling trip out to the pennekamp reef, out of Key largo. Amoray dive resort folks do a nice job on that.

eat LOTS of conch fritters and wash them down w/ cold beer or tropical umbrella drinks

DON'T miss sunset at Mallory Square in Key West

and at least one breakfast at Waffle House south of Key Largo (it's a michigan thing, we don't have them up here)

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for the tips!

Clay - Thanks so much for the correction of the location, I would have spent all day looking for it. :)

jackretired - Thanks for the tip on the Ernest Hemingway Home & Museum, I didn't know about that and my wife will love it!

Mrs.Right - Thanks for the tip on the Dolphin Research center. DW loves dolphins and will really enjoy that. Since you've done Key West as a mother, would you mind sharing any thoughts on if we took our 6-year-old DD? There's a slim chance she'll be tagging along with us on this one.

kcparrothead - Key West Harbor Inn looks really nice, thanks for the tip!

tip - Thanks for the advice on the glass bottom boat. Do you know of any places that offer snorkeling along with the glass bottom boat tour? DW and I love to snorkel.

fl_couple - That eco tour in Key Largo sounds awesome! Do you happen to know the name of the tour company you used for that? That sounds like a winner for our day in Key Largo.

michmike - I've heard great things about the Conch Fritters, can't wait to get my hands on some. :) I think I'll pass on the Waffle House, we have plenty of them here in Ohio. :D

We had a great time and there is a lot to do besides all the ideas already mentioned. Eco Discovery Center (run by NOAA so it's free cause we've already paid for it once :rolleyes: ) has great hands on displays about all the keys, Butterfly Conservatory is cool and there are usually discount coupons floating around, Ghost Walk, day trip to Dry Tortugas where we met the nicest family from NC, biking, exploring Fort Taylor, lunch at Sloppy Joe's and the list goes on.

We enjoy theater and the only thing going on in KW during our visit was Bitch Slap....that's the reason to visit the community theater in Marathon where we were probably the only non-residents in the audience.

Duval Street after dark is definately an adult playground and as I mentioned, during the week it's pretty tame. Other than my daughter catching sight through an open door to a bar of a *fashion show* she thought she might want to watch until I explained that the *models* were males :o there was no need to explain behaviors she may not have seen before.

Friday it was a different story. Duval seemed busier and rowdier during the day and once the sun went down....well, let's just say that in the course of doing the ghost walk (with her mother and at least 15 other people at her side) she was propositioned twice and offered an illegal intoxicant in addition to the ususal adult beverages :eek:. She's tall for 12 but give me a break! It was only 9 PM so I'm not talking about 2 AM either. She thought it was funny and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I couldn't book another night BUT if you're traveling with anyone even nearing teenage, just keep a close watch while traversing Duval.

Overall, KW seems to be a pretty live and let live kind of place. Only once or twice in our several visits have we run across any anti-tourism sentiment but I chalk that up to their problem, not mine as overall everyone we have had contact with has been friendly and accommodating. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again with child in tow, and probably will, just not during Fantasy Fest or weekend nights.

Barbara

fl_couple - That eco tour in Key Largo sounds awesome! Do you happen to know the name of the tour company you used for that? That sounds like a winner for our day in Key Largo.

Sorry...I don't recall the tour operator name! We booked our tour through Kona Kai Resort and they picked us up at the dock. I am sure wherever you stay will have recommendations. Enjoy your time in the keys!

I should add, that the Sherton is running a special again which we took advantage of last winter. On the first night I believe you pay $199, for you second and third night you pay the amount equal to the year you were born (born in 1960, pay $60).

I looked at the Sheraton website and could not find this promotion. Do you have a link for this or do you have to call?

The 2 kids D.W. and I rented a boat from Robbie's for a day,s fishing. We had a blast, caught lot's of fish ( released them all ) ,spotted some porpoise or dolphin ( can,t tell them apart )

did some swimming. I would recommend them. J.M.O.

Sorry...I don't recall the tour operator name! We booked our tour through Kona Kai Resort and they picked us up at the dock. I am sure wherever you stay will have recommendations. Enjoy your time in the keys!

Did you stay at Kona Kai? If so, how did you like it? It's a property we have considered in the past . Looks good on their web site

The 2 kids D.W. and I rented a boat from Robbie's for a day,s fishing. We had a blast, caught lot's of fish ( released them all ) ,spotted some porpoise or dolphin ( can,t tell them apart )

did some swimming. I would recommend them. J.M.O.

That sounds awesome! Not sure DW would enjoy it as much as me though. :D

Are you familiar with the area at all? I'm comfortable operating boats, both my dad and grandpa had boats throughout my entire childhood and I still take my dad's boat out a few times every year. I have no problem taking it on the inland lakes or lake erie, however I'd be hesitant to just rent a boat and head out to the ocean without a guide. I've also done a lot of fishing, but all freshwater. So going fishing by myself in the ocean for the first time makes me a little squeamish as well. How much experience did you have with boating and fishing in that area before you rented?

We've been going to Key West for 8-9 years, first few in February and the last few late March/early April. Honestly I haven't noticed any difference in the number or age of tourists (in regards to spring break).

Try Alonzo's for happy hour - half price cocktails and appetizers. You can make a great meal from their appetizers:)

You've had good recommendations on Hemingway, Truman, Butterfly Conservatory, etc etc. If it's your first time do the train or trolley to see the island and hear some good background on it.

ENJOY Key West!!!!!:)

Check out the tarpon and pelican's at Robbies Marina in Islamorada.

If timing is right, definitely do lunch or dinner at Lazy Days in Islamorada!

Everyone should drive the Keys once! Take your time and go with the flow and enjoy the views!

We were also thinking of going to the Keys after our cruise. Since we only have 2 days (4 to 6 December) and absolutely have to be in MIA for our flight back to Europe at 6 pm, we thought it safer to go only halfway to Key Largo. Now reading thru all this, this seems not to be so good. What is worst case scenario driving time back from Key West on Monday afternoon ?

Any suggestions on good hotels about half way ?

We were also thinking of going to the Keys after our cruise. Since we only have 2 days (4 to 6 December) and absolutely have to be in MIA for our flight back to Europe at 6 pm, we thought it safer to go only halfway to Key Largo. Now reading thru all this, this seems not to be so good. What is worst case scenario driving time back from Key West on Monday afternoon ?

Any suggestions on good hotels about half way ?

Cheeka Lodge on Islamorada. But really, why the Keys? Why not Miami Beach? Easier, about the same money-wise.

Check out the hotels up Collins, Sagamore, Ritz-Carlton, etc. December is high-season, so no real bargains. You won't need the car. Take a cab to your hotel from POM, and the Airport Flyer from Miami Beach to the airport.

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/airport_flyer_brochure.pdf

As for your return. You'll need to be at MIA by 3:30 PM, or 4:00 at the latest for an International flight. Traffic on a weekday is likely to be very heavy. The road in and out of the Keys can easily get congested with a guy with a flat tire. Coming into Miami, it just gets worse. You'll spend all of Monday on the road.

What is worst case scenario driving time back from Key West on Monday afternoon ?

WORST case scenario? 24 hours as the road from Miami to Key West is basically a 2 lane road/bridge with little or no work around so if there's an accident or some other situation you are stuck.

BEST case scenario? 4 1/2 - 5 hours on the Keys Shuttle and those guys drive it all the time and know how to make time when they can.

If you go all the way to Key West, you're going to spend half of your 2 days getting there and getting back. If anyone can reccommend a closer area that sounds interesting you should consider it.

Barbara

That sounds awesome! Not sure DW would enjoy it as much as me though. :D

Are you familiar with the area at all? I'm comfortable operating boats, both my dad and grandpa had boats throughout my entire childhood and I still take my dad's boat out a few times every year. I have no problem taking it on the inland lakes or lake erie, however I'd be hesitant to just rent a boat and head out to the ocean without a guide. I've also done a lot of fishing, but all freshwater. So going fishing by myself in the ocean for the first time makes me a little squeamish as well. How much experience did you have with boating and fishing in that area before you rented?

I'm not a boater at all. My son ( 25 years old) drove he some experience . Robbies told us were to go. It was easy just followed the channel markers. Do look at the fish charts as we threw back about 30 keepers 12-15 inch. up here in New England we keep larger fish.

It is still a family joke that when we got back to the Marriot key largo for the night the restaurant special was yellow tail snapper in a lobster sauce. As we threw back yellowtail's all day not knowing they were good.

That was our first time in the keys.

We will be back there next month.

Robbie's is in Islamorada yahoo them.

Archived