Horizon Court VS Caribe Cafe ?

nimiq

Caribe Cafe is a little more upscale from the Horizon Trough (LOL). It opens when the HC closes and has , IMHO, a lot better choices and a more pleasant dining experience. Of course, nothing beats the Main Dining Room for an excellent and relaxed dinner.

We really liked going to Cafe Caribe on sea days for lunch. If you read your Princess Patter thoroughly, they (sometimes) mention what the theme is, if there is one that day. One day I noticed in the Patter that it would be "Mexican", another "Trattoria". We went both those times and it wasn't crowded, and the food was really good for a buffet. I don't know if many just don't know about it, or can't walk that far for food!

I seem to be the only person that likes Princess who doesn't like Cafe Caribe. On our 14-day cruise, I thought the menu selections were poor--that might just be for the particular days we ate there, though. And the layout of it (at least on the CB) is awful. Appetizers on one end, pre-plated salads on the other, and both lines meet in the middle at the carving station. Bread station is in a little 3-sided cubbyhole with room for one person in it. Desserts in the middle opposite the main food line, which would be fine except that the space for the line is only really 1 1/2 people wide. So there really isn't any flow to the space. It's cramped, and seems that no matter what you want to get to, you're on the wrong side of the area.

mytime53 you've done a good job in describing the layout. We also found it somewhat strange with salads at one end while "some" of the appetizers were at the other. We solved that problem by first walking the entire line to view what was available and then going back, getting a plate and starting to serve ourselves. On the Emerald & the Ruby the buffet line goes only ONE WAY and there are signs posted for the entrance. We did notice that some people would cut in the middle entering by the desserts but not very often. But all that said, we really like the Cafe Caribe and on our last two 10 day cruises we ate every dinner there finding the actual food selections very good. Additionally, we found we didn't over eat the way we tended to in the MD.

We really liked going to Cafe Caribe on sea days for lunch. If you read your Princess Patter thoroughly, they (sometimes) mention what the theme is, if there is one that day. One day I noticed in the Patter that it would be "Mexican", another "Trattoria". We went both those times and it wasn't crowded, and the food was really good for a buffet. I don't know if many just don't know about it, or can't walk that far for food!

On the chance of sounding dumb what is Trattoria Food?

We did notice that some people would cut in the middle entering by the desserts but not very often. But all that said, we really like the Cafe Caribe and on our last two 10 day cruises we ate every dinner there finding the actual food selections very good. Additionally, we found we didn't over eat the way we tended to in the MD.

That's the way it was intended to be used. If someone doesn't what the salads it seems very foolish and a waste of my time to wait on line just for the main courses or desserts. Just grab a plate & get what you want.

Guacamole!! Definitely worth walking that far(!) for!

I seem to be the only person that likes Princess who doesn't like Cafe Caribe. On our 14-day cruise, I thought the menu selections were poor--that might just be for the particular days we ate there, though. And the layout of it (at least on the CB) is awful. Appetizers on one end, pre-plated salads on the other, and both lines meet in the middle at the carving station. Bread station is in a little 3-sided cubbyhole with room for one person in it. Desserts in the middle opposite the main food line, which would be fine except that the space for the line is only really 1 1/2 people wide. So there really isn't any flow to the space. It's cramped, and seems that no matter what you want to get to, you're on the wrong side of the area.

No, I am the second person. I don't mind the buffet for breakfast. I actually prefer it to the MDR. Dinner for me is in the MDR or specialty restaurant.

No, I am the second person. I don't mind the buffet for breakfast. I actually prefer it to the MDR. Dinner for me is in the MDR or specialty restaurant.

We usually eat in the Horizon like yourself & it's fine for us. What I don't like about using the DR for breakfast is when they do bring out the food & you want additional amount of anything you have to send the waiter to get it.

It's so much faster & convenient to take exactly what you want at the buffet.

• 2 weeks later...
We did notice that some people would cut in the middle entering by the desserts but not very often.

That's the way it was intended to be used.

I totally agree. There is frequently a bit of a line to get into the Cafe Caribe (time of evening dependent, of course). We never get desserts on our first pass through. It makes sense to just re-enter by the desserts and get what we want after eating the main part of our dinner.

On the Ruby would the Caribe Cafe and the Horizon Court both be open at the same time for breakfast?

No, the hours aren't exactly the same, but there is overlap. In the blue binder on the vanity in your cabin will be a small slip of paper with the restaurant hours on one side and the bar hours on the other. The hours are not listed in the Patter as they are on other cruise lines. That slip of paper is a "must" for us. We didn't know about it on our first Princess cruise, and we were extremely frustrated because we had no idea what was open when.

I totally agree. There is frequently a bit of a line to get into the Cafe Caribe (time of evening dependent, of course). We never get desserts on our first pass through. It makes sense to just re-enter by the desserts and get what we want after eating the main part of our dinner.

No, the hours aren't exactly the same, but there is overlap. In the blue binder on the vanity in your cabin will be a small slip of paper with the restaurant hours on one side and the bar hours on the other. The hours are not listed in the Patter as they are on other cruise lines. That slip of paper is a "must" for us. We didn't know about it on our first Princess cruise, and we were extremely frustrated because we had no idea what was open when.

Thanks for the advice about the blue binder. I'll be sure to check it when we are on the ship.

Definitely stay away from Caribe Cafe. The food and service is the worst!!!:eek:

I also respect your right to your opinion but like Clutterlady we very much like the Caribe. The past three cruises we've eaten almost all of our evening meals there and not only have we found many wonderful food selections but we have always had excellent service. On a 10 day cruise the staff has even remembered our names and what we wanted to drink.

Archived