some things i do now

origionaljerseygirl

hi all new time cruisers!

i have a couple of things that might be of interest to you.

1. pack over the door hooks. great to lay out clothes for the day.

2. save all those zippered sheet, pillowcase, curtain clear bags. they are great for grouping toiletries together, and they won't leak if a top opens. cosmetic bags are small. these are free.

3. for the beaches in cozumel. they are rocky, bring wet shoes. much more enjoyable day at the beach.

4. type a list in "my docs" to use over and over. you can print it out each cruise, add to it.

5. don't bring an iron! each ship has a laundry room for pressing things.

6. bring extra hangers if you are a fanatic about hanging up clothes. i usually bring wire hangers with clothes pins for pants/skirts, and plastic ones for tops/shirts.

7. bring plenty of single dollars. use for tips for room service, porters ( i have envelopes ready for that) at the port. also, extra envelopes for the room staff tips.

8. ALWAYS CARRY ON MEDS!!!!!

hope this helps. i have alot more, if you are interested.

a

Not all cruiselines have laundry facilities for passenger to use. But, most don't allow irons,either, so on some cruiselines, you'll be forced to pay for pressing, if you need it.

You don't need hangers...your room attendant will get you more, if you need them.

Bringing wads of small bills is too bulky...bring large bills, and the ship can "break them down" as needed.

Thank you Originaljerseygirl,your heart is in the right place:)

You are a good cruise critic member ! :D

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

origionaljerseygirl;26437885]hi all new time cruisers!

i have a couple of things that might be of interest to you.

1. pack over the door hooks. great to lay out clothes for the day.

2. save all those zippered sheet, pillowcase, curtain clear bags. they are great for grouping toiletries together, and they won't leak if a top opens. cosmetic bags are small. these are free.

3. for the beaches in cozumel. they are rocky, bring wet shoes. much more enjoyable day at the beach.

4. type a list in "my docs" to use over and over. you can print it out each cruise, add to it.

5. don't bring an iron! each ship has a laundry room for pressing things.

6. bring extra hangers if you are a fanatic about hanging up clothes. i usually bring wire hangers with clothes pins for pants/skirts, and plastic ones for tops/shirts.

7. bring plenty of single dollars. use for tips for room service, porters ( i have envelopes ready for that) at the port. also, extra envelopes for the room staff tips.

8. ALWAYS CARRY ON MEDS!!!!!

hope this helps. i have alot more, if you are interested.

a

Thank you Originaljerseygirl,your heart is in the right place:)

You are a good cruise critic member ! :D

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

THANK YOU! i was beginning to think none of my ideas were worth the time.

it was just some of the things that have made my life easier.

thanks again! i hope to sail with you someday!

a

and I ask my steward for more hangers.

Otherwise--GREAT TIPS!!!

THANKS,

been to cozumel 2 times, both times we went to playa mia. the bottom is covered with big rocks, and hard to navigate.

i had the shoes the first trip, my friends didn't. second time, they brought them and said it's much nicer with the shoes.

just sayin.

:D

a

I bring a couple of small clothes pins. When you try to hang a few suits on the drying line in the shower it tends to just collapse in the middle so i put the suits up with clothes pins. I also have very strong ones so I can also put them on a chair on the balcony for a little while to dry quicker.

A hanging net shower caddy is a great thing for a small cabin shower. Mini/suites do not need this, but sure comes in handy in a balcony shower. Found one that we use at Walmart for $6 & it hangs from the shower rod and keeps every product needed at hand.

Jan

I got you beat - mine was $2.00 at Dollar General.

I always enjoy seeing what others plan to pack too.

Some things I also add are extra batteries, a 3 outlet plug (for all of those things that need to be plugged in) and a night light (since sometimes the bathroom light can be connected to the fan-which is annoying at night if you need to use the bathroom and others are sleeping). Also, don't forget a beach bag, for carrying your towels (which the ship provides) for shore excursions.

Happy Sailing!

I've got to second the over the door shoe hanger. I brought one with us on the last cruise we went on. I didn't really know if I would even use it but thought what the heck. Well, it proved to be the BEST thing I brought. Honestly, I just orgainized the toiletries, etc. in each shoe compartment and not only did I know exactly where everything was but it kept everything nice and neat. No cluttered sinks whatsoever. I can't say enough positive things about it.

Bringing wads of small bills is too bulky...bring large bills, and the ship can "break them down" as needed.
I wouldn't count on it. On the islands it's all too common to find that vendors either "don't understand English" or they "don't have change". The first time you're stuck with nothing smaller than a $10, when a $4 tip seems appropriate . . . you'll be glad you have a stack of ones! You don't have to bring the whole stack everywhere with you. Leave the bulk in your stateroom safe.
a 3 outlet plug (for all of those things that need to be plugged in) and a night light . . . don't forget a beach bag, for carrying your towels
I have no idea what y'all are plugging into the outlets all the time. I rarely use mine at all. My Kindle can hold a charge for a good two weeks. Ditto for my ipod. My camera uses batteries. My phone's turned off all week, so it's not draining power. I pretty much use the electrical outlets while doing my hair.

A battery-operated candle is an ideal nightlight -- more romantic than a plug-in, and the battery'll last the whole week.

I always use my beach bag as my carry-on, so it does double-duty. I try to choose something that doesn't look too feminine so DH'll carry it sometimes.

I've got to second the over the door shoe hanger. I brought one with us on the last cruise we went on. I didn't really know if I would even use it but thought what the heck. Well, it proved to be the BEST thing I brought. Honestly, I just orgainized the toiletries, etc. in each shoe compartment and not only did I know exactly where everything was but it kept everything nice and neat. No cluttered sinks whatsoever. I can't say enough positive things about it.
Acting on suggestions from this board, we brought one on our first cruise, but we didn't find it useful. We had ample storage space in the cabin.

I wouldn't count on it. On the islands it's all too common to find that vendors either "don't understand English" or they "don't have change". The first time you're stuck with nothing smaller than a $10, when a $4 tip seems appropriate . . . you'll be glad you have a stack of ones! You don't have to bring the whole stack everywhere with you. Leave the bulk in your stateroom safe.

Sorry, I'm confused, didn't the poster (cb at sea) suggest getting the larger bills broken down on the ship not in port? Can you do this at the porters desk?

Originally Posted by cb at sea viewpost.gif

Archived