Cruise Insurence, just became our new best friend...

CruiseAdict218

When we were on the Caribbean Princess back during last week of August and Earl made us skip Halifax and pull into New York(Manhattan Harbor) a day early, some friends that we met flied for some money return b/c we pulled into New York anyway they wind up getting between $250-$350 dollors, don't remember exact amount so we are going to do the same and I feel a Caribbean cruise real soon :D

We missed Sydney (Canada) on our Crown Princess trip-- too rough and so floated right on by. I was under the impression that that was just bad luck and nothing to be done about it. Any details on the filing of missed port with travel insurance. About all we lost was a rental car from Budget which I don't know if I have been charged for == couldn't cancel it because did not have phone service or computer service.

If a port is missed, you won't get anything back nor will insurance reimburse you. However, if the cruise ends a day early so you don't get the number of days on the ship "contracted" for, you can submit a claim. This is extremely rare and unusual. It's always a good idea to get insurance but not if the only reason you'd do so was to be reimbursed for a shortened cruise. Missed ports: you won't get anything; missed days on the ship: you'll get something. Usually, the cruiseline will refund a certain amount if the cruise ends early so you don't need to get insurance for that.

If a port is missed, you won't get anything back nor will insurance reimburse you. However, if the cruise ends a day early so you don't get the number of days on the ship "contracted" for, you can submit a claim. This is extremely rare and unusual. It's always a good idea to get insurance but not if the only reason you'd do so was to be reimbursed for a shortened cruise. Missed ports: you won't get anything; missed days on the ship: you'll get something. Usually, the cruiseline will refund a certain amount if the cruise ends early so you don't need to get insurance for that.

Interesting, but thats wat our friends got so who knows

Interesting, but thats wat our friends got so who knows
From your description, which I admit was difficult to understand, it sounded like you arrived in your disembarkation port, New York, a day early. You would be reimbursed for that, not missing a port. I don't know of any insurance policy that would reimburse for missing a port because of the Passenger Contract which essentially says that there is no guarantee of making a port. Since ports are missed all the time, and insurance company would either have to charge exorbitant rates or go out of business. It just doesn't make business sense to insure something that carries not guarantee or expectation.

I am thinking that they were reimbursed for additional hotel, transportation and meal cost in NY before there pre-arranged flight plans more than 24 hours after they disembarked. If you live in NY, there would probably be no payment.

I don't understand at all. Did they make them get off a day early? Don't think so or would have heard about it here. If you went into NYC a day early and stayed on the ship don't see the problem -- usually they would just go back out to sea (past gambling and open shops limit) and come in when they were scheduled as to not have additional port fees. Could what they were refunded actually be the port fees for the missed port?

From your description, which I admit was difficult to understand, it sounded like you arrived in your disembarkation port, New York, a day early.

That cruise did get to NYC a day early, but the ship stayed docked in Manhattan for the day and people could tour NYC if they wished. That night, the ship moved to Red Hook in Brooklyn for the normal disembarkation on the scheduled day.

In other words, the voyage did not end a day early. In effect, NYC was substituted for the missed port.

That cruise did get to NYC a day early, but the ship stayed docked in Manhattan for the day and people could tour NYC if they wished. That night, the ship moved to Red Hook in Brooklyn for the normal disembarkation on the scheduled day.

In other words, the voyage did not end a day early. In effect, NYC was substituted for the missed port.

Ahhh... there was no way to tell that from the OP's description. I'd be very surprised if any insurance company re-imbursed for that as they didn't miss a day. It's a shame we're getting second-hand information that's not very clear, if not misleading. We don't have any facts.

Archived