Need help w/land part of my France Trip

delgadofam2002

Hi, Hank.

So, we clash again :p

I suggested car or train Marseilles/Bordeaux then car to Paris, in order to take in the Loire Valley by car on the way from Bordeaux to Paris. Moyaroo's alternative suggestion of train Marseilles to Tours left open the option of heading from there to Normandy rather than Bordeaux.

Driving in Paris - I'm with you on that one.

I wouldn't drive in Paris unless I had to. I just leave my road manners at home, and close my eyes quite a lot. And I'm supposed to be a professional driver. :rolleyes:

Bordeaux and Normandy are very far apart (over 600 miles)

Hank

Oooops, Hank.

You've worked out that distance in American money.

Caen, in northern Normandy, is 600 klicks from Bordeaux, not miles. Works out at about 360 miles

A couple of other thoughts for the OP:

Disneyland Paris? Is that like a frenchman going to Vegas to see the Eiffel Tower?

Bordeaux vs Normandy.

Each to their own, I prefer Normandy but I'm not the OP.

But you are much more likely to have a future opportunity to visit Normandy from a cruise to Cherbourg or Le Havre, or from Paris, or even a cheap day-trip from England. Bordeaux is unlikely to be as accessible on a future visit.

Regards

JB

ps - your last post crossed with this one.

And your suggestion of Marseilles/Bordeaux/Cognac/Loire Valley/Paris matches mine from way back on the thread :D .

Concorde :)

You guys are all awesome I so appreciate your input.

To answer John yes I know Floridians going to Disneyland Paris odd but as Mickey fans gotta get to all of them someday!

We are going to stick to John's orignal plan-Marseille to Bordeaux- St Emillion, Cognac, Lorie

Is getting to Marseille from Paris the same day as the cruise ok or should we spend the night there? What are the must sees there?

Where should we return the car on our way up to Paris?

Is getting to Marseille from Paris the same day as the cruise ok or should we spend the night there? What are the must sees there?

Where should we return the car on our way up to Paris?

Marseilles isn't an area I know at all well.

Other than that I don't think there's much to amuse you there, though Aix-en-Provence might be worth researching. Its only 20 miles & public transport's gonna be good.

:confused: Same day or day before? Safety, or perhaps a wasted day?

Just a thought...............

How about splitting the difference? And saving a hotel bill with a classic British compromise?

:confused: Is there an overnite train Paris/Marseilles?

Moyaroo, where are you? We need you :)

Returning your car - that's much easier.

Orly airport is right on your route & naturally has both excellent public transport into Paris (10 miles) and the full range of car rental depots.

JB

ps write out 100 times in your spelling book - Loire Valley, not Lorie :p

Which reminds me, the river is La Loire. Parallel but a little further north is Le Lior. Its a different river!! It's actually a tributary of La Loire. Presumably named just to confuse American tourists.:D

ps write out 100 times in your spelling book - Loire Valley, not Lorie :p

Which reminds me, the river is La Loire. Parallel but a little further north is Le Lior. Its a different river!! It's actually a tributary of La Loire. Presumably named just to confuse American tourists.:D

Dammit

Retribution for a pedantic Brit :o

Le Loir Le Loir Le Loir Le Loir Le Loir Le Loir Le Loir Le Loir Le Loir Le Loir

Your turn :D

JB :rolleyes: :D

Marseilles isn't an area I know at all well.

Other than that I don't think there's much to amuse you there, though Aix-en-Provence might be worth researching. Its only 20 miles & public transport's gonna be good.

:confused: Same day or day before? Safety, or perhaps a wasted day?

Just a thought...............

How about splitting the difference? And saving a hotel bill with a classic British compromise?

:confused: Is there an overnite train Paris/Marseilles?

Moyaroo, where are you? We need you :)

.:D

Here I am, and yes there is a train but anyone who takes is is pretty crazy and not wanting to sleep. You go

Paris Lyon Fr, ab 21:28 change at Besancon-Viotte Sa, 30.10.10 an 00:01 Besancon-Viotte Sa, 30.10.10 ab 00:07

arriving in Marseille at 0600.

So all night departing at 9:30 and 4 hours sleep at best. :eek:Why not just take the TGV at 3 hours and a hand full of minutes? Which of course answers the question can you go same day and make the ship? Yes- unless there are strikes :mad:

Here I am, and yes there is a train but anyone who takes is is pretty crazy and not wanting to sleep. You go

Paris Lyon Fr, ab 21:28 change at Besancon-Viotte Sa, 30.10.10 an 00:01 Besancon-Viotte Sa, 30.10.10 ab 00:07

arriving in Marseille at 0600.

So all night departing at 9:30 and 4 hours sleep at best. :eek:Why not just take the TGV at 3 hours and a hand full of minutes? Which of course answers the question can you go same day and make the ship? Yes- unless there are strikes :mad:

OOPS sorry about the partial German. 9:30pm to 1 past midnight, change in Besancon at 7 past and arrive Marseille at 6am. Hardly restful, but I have never understood the desire to take night trains.

Hi Moyaroo,

:eek:

And there's me thinking I'd come up with an ingenious plan :rolleyes:

So it's back to plan A or plan B.

But plan A at well under 4 hours looks pretty good.

Hi Mrs D.,

As Hank's post, you're not really in cheese territory.*

Serves you right for binning Normandy :D

Hi Hank,

With your track record on measurements :p, you've missed a trick.

Insisting on a yard rather than a pint would have given you more than double ;) **

But when our paths cross, I'll be pleased to buy you a pint. :)

JB

* Roquefort-sur-Soulzon is on one route Marseilles to Bordeaux http://www.cheese-france.com/club/top10_cheese.htm

** Think I'm kidding? Google "yard of ale"

Hi Moyaroo,

:eek:

And there's me thinking I'd come up with an ingenious plan :rolleyes:

So it's back to plan A or plan B.

But plan A at well under 4 hours looks pretty good.

Hi Mrs D.,

As Hank's post, you're not really in cheese territory.*

Serves you right for binning Normandy

Hi Hank,

Insisting on a yard rather than a pint would have given you more than double ;) **

JB

* Roquefort-sur-Soulzon is on one route Marseilles to Bordeaux http://www.cheese-france.com/club/top10_cheese.htm

So you guys are metric now how about a metre (note spelling) of ale (or for alliteration) meade?

Put me in for Bass Ale. :D

Moyaroo

Hi Hank,

John, You really got me this time. We were not aware one could get a "yard" in an English pub (we have had yards in Singapore) so I will appropriately modify my prior post and request that you buy me a yard! It is truly refreshing that a country that switched to the metric system still has a use for pints and yards :)

Hank

So you guys are metric now how about a metre (note spelling) of ale (or for alliteration) meade?

Put me in for Bass Ale. :D

Moyaroo

Well done, award yourself 10 euros for correctly spelling metre.:)

Now deduct 10 guineas for fouling up on mead. :rolleyes:

That leaves you up by two nickels & a dime

JB

John, You really got me this time. We were not aware one could get a "yard" in an English pub (we have had yards in Singapore) so I will appropriately modify my prior post and request that you buy me a yard! It is truly refreshing that a country that switched to the metric system still has a use for pints and yards :)

Hank

Sticking with imperial is so very old-fashioned.

But metric is so johnny-foreigner.

Compromise is the British way:

Draught beer in pints, canned or bottled in millilitres.

Roadsigns in miles, freeway countdown markers in metres.

Car speedometers in miles, truck & bus speedometers in kilometres.

Meat in kilos, people in stones & pounds.

Heights in metres, but people in feet & inches (and horses in hands).

Most things in tens, but eggs in dozens.

Land in hectares, but since nobody knows how big that is everyone still uses acres.

Easy really :rolleyes:

JB

ps best I stick to buying you a pint. Convention says you have to down a yard in one hit - not a pretty sight.:p

LOL. Well, they still use hands for horses on this side of the pond. :) Some of our most fun when in your country has been sitting with English friends and talking about this kind of stuff. By the way, it looks like we will be in Southampton on 5 July, but only for a few hours. We are returning to NYC on the Rotterdam which leaves from Rotterdam (that makes sense) and happens to stop in Southampton on the 5th to pick-up more passengers.

Hank

Here's a strong vote for the Loire Valley. You might considering doing a day-trip out from Paris. One hour train from Paris to the suburban station outside Tours. Get a rental car. See a few of the key places. Then a TGV train back in the evening. Here are a few highlights and some of my visuals from there.

This is the major chateau and castle country southwest of Paris. It is easy to reach during the a day-trip from Paris taking the quick and comfortable TGV Express train to the Tours suburban station of the St Pierre on the edge of town. Then pick up your reserved rental car. See and enjoy the area. Then drop your car off in the evening, returning back to Paris in only an hour without having to battle the big city traffic. This area peaked in power in the mid 1400's to 1700's period; Joan of Arc helped win battle at Orleans in 1429 that spurred power of French monarch to unify the country and drive out the English; Blois has population of 50,000; Tours has population of 130,000 with half-timbered houses on Place Plumeneau; priority for lunch or dinner at Chateau de Beaulieu (4 1/2 miles SW of Tours, 18th Century country estate, phone 47-53 20-26); among the top chateaus to see (all rated as three stars by Michelin Guide) that we have seen and loved are:

AZAY-LE-RIDEAU, 15 miles SW of Tours, built between 1518 and 1527 with Gothic elements combined with early Renaissance decoration set in wooded area surrounded by water on River Indre, "a romantic pleasure palace", exterior unaltered over centuries, open 9:30-6, night lumiere program during summer; called by Balzac as "multifaceted diamond set in the Indre"; PRIORITY

CHENONCEAU, 14 miles SE of Tours, built starting in 1513, structure stretches across waters of Cher River, early home for King Henri II's mistress; developed later by Catherine de Medici and five successor women associated with royal families, "a romantic pleasure palace", open 9:00-7 pm March 16th to September 15th, closes a little earlier late fall through winter, see first since it is closest to train station, avoid crowds and opens at 9 a.m., has one million visitors a year, and with the exception of Versailles, is the most visited castle in France; lunch or dinner at L'Orangerie on grounds. http://www.chenonceau.com SUPER PRIORITY

CHEVERNEY, eight miles SE of Blois, privately held by family with lavish interior furnishings, rich tapestries, hunt tradition, built between 1604 and 1634, open 9:15 noon and 2:15-6:30 p.m.; kennel feeding time of 5 p.m., except 3 p.m. for Tuesdays and weekends. PRIORITY

These other two are also rated as "three stars" by Michelin:

VILLANDRY, 12 miles west of Tours, gardens are key focus, open 9-6 for chateau, last great Renaissance chateau built in Loire Valley; Super wonderful gardens with many water features and other unique attractions!

CHAMBORD, ten miles east of Blois, with curved exterior towers, double curved interior staircase and Italian influence, largest in Loire Valley with 440 rooms, 365 fireplaces, begun in 1523, can rent horses here to ride in nearby woods, downside: few furnishing on interior and big to see in short visit; royalty of this period did not keep their furnishings at each location, they moved rugs, tapestries, furnishings, etc. as they shifted from location to location; open daily 9:30-11:45 a.m. and 2-4:45 p.m. Chambord is at a little distance from some of the other locations. Large, but a little cold because it is not as well furnished and lacks some of the comfort and charm seen with other chateaus. Their website:

http://www.chambord.org/Chambord-en-idm-1-n-Accueil.html

Local tourism office/site: http://www.holidays-loire-valley.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 22,500 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the Loire, here is one chateau (Villandry) with a spectacular gardens area and then next is the largest chateau, Chambord:

LoireGardens.jpg

LoireChambord.jpg

By the way, it looks like we will be in Southampton on 5 July, but only for a few hours. We are returning to NYC on the Rotterdam which leaves from Rotterdam (that makes sense) and happens to stop in Southampton on the 5th to pick-up more passengers.

Hank

OK OK OK Hank :rolleyes:

I'll start saving now & buy you a pint, if date/time work out.:)

JB

• 2 months later...

John & Hank finally 2011 is up & I can start booking. Im hoping for your help.

We are going to take the TGV from Marseille to Bordeaux then rent a car. We want to include St Emillion, Cognac, Medoc, Lorie, whatever else as we are going to leave the car back up in Paris. We are dedicating 4 days & 5 nights for this. Would love your input on where to stay, setting up, etccc all your info is so helpful!

John & Hank finally 2011 is up & I can start booking. Im hoping for your help. We are going to take the TGV from Marseille to Bordeaux then rent a car. We want to include St Emillion, Cognac, Medoc, Lorie, whatever else as we are going to leave the car back up in Paris. We are dedicating 4 days & 5 nights for this. Would love your input on where to stay, setting up, etccc all your info is so helpful!

Tell us more. How long in the Bordeaux areas versus in the Loire region?? Then do you drive directly to the CDG airport or are you going into main Paris for time there and dropping your car there before flying out? Those overall logistics are important for us to make added suggestions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 28,775 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi Terry

I am really open I've never been to France. I do not know how long I just know I have 4 days/5 nights to play with leaving the following morning after so that 5th night I need to be back in Paris. Basically June 19 I get off ship in Marseille then take TGV to Bordeaux p/u car rental then start trip working way to Paris night of June 23 for flight 24th AM.

Interest- history, culture, art, food, wine the simple things in life- lol

We are all easy going

We must tour Hennessy winery for DH

Thank you so much

Archived