Luggage Tag Information:

BroncosFan2010

For those of you who say to wait until after you fly to put on luggage tags, let me tell you my experience.

On my honeymoon, our flights were delayed and we made it, but one of our bags did not. The airport personnel was AMAZING and we told them we had our luggage tags on the bag. They assured us that our RCCL tag would be used to track our bag, and it met us at our first port of call. This would NOT have happened if we had not had our RCCL Luggage tag on the bag. Because it was on there, the airport knew which ship to send it to. Our first day was at sea, and it made it safely to the ship at our first port of call. I am fairly certain that that bag (which had all of our formal wear, it was our garment bag) would have been waiting for us at home without that tag, or been forever lost.

WE ALWAYS put our luggage tags on before we fly.

For those of you who say to wait until after you fly to put on luggage tags, let me tell you my experience.

Yours is excellent advice. The problem with the cruise tags being flimsy paper is they may not survive a double airline flight on the way to the port. Best to laminate or re-enforce them somehow so you can put them on before leaving home as you suggest.:) We'll be using a laminator and cable ties for them this time so they will be as durable as our other tags.:)

You can accomplish the same thing by putting your name, cell phone # and itinerary into an unlocked, outside pocket on your luggage....if it gets re-routed, they will know how to contact you.

I think having ANYTHING except the airline tags is courting trouble....they have enough trouble without having different tags all over the bags!

Never put your home address on identity tags...if you must put an address, use your business! Someone is always there (during working hours, anyway!) and your cell phone # is more than enough!

Interesting.

Still, if I were to put them on before flying I would carry spare tags just in case, as even things that have been SEWN on my luggage have been torn off by arrival time at baggage claim.

I put name, phone # and trip itinerary in outside pocket and inside suitcase.

<<You can accomplish the same thing by putting your name, cell phone # and itinerary into an unlocked, outside pocket on your luggage....if it gets re-routed, they will know how to contact you.

I think having ANYTHING except the airline tags is courting trouble....they have enough trouble without having different tags all over the bags!

Never put your home address on identity tags...if you must put an address, use your business! Someone is always there (during working hours, anyway!) and your cell phone # is more than enough!>>

I could not agree more. I have large tags that will accomodate a couple pieces of folder paper; the tags are printed with the words 'Itinerary Enclosed' or something like that, in many different languages. They're meant to be tags attached to a suitcase handle, but I just tuck them into an outside pocket.

If it is necessary to fly to your cruise departure city, it is best that you do so at least one day ahead of time. That way if your luggage is delayed, there is a good chance that it will catch up with you before you board the ship.

Also, if you are traveling with another person, put some of each person's clothes in the other person's luggage. That way both of you will have SOME clothes until the delayed luggage shows up.

I always pack a couple of days-worth of clothes in a carry on, as well as my bedtime attire and other necessities, so I have the minimum with me even if my main bag is delayed.

<<You can accomplish the same thing by putting your name, cell phone # and itinerary into an unlocked, outside pocket on your luggage....if it gets re-routed, they will know how to contact you.

Never put your home address on identity tags...if you must put an address, use your business! Someone is always there (during working hours, anyway!) and your cell phone # is more than enough!>>

I could not agree more. I have large tags that will accomodate a couple pieces of folder paper; the tags are printed with the words 'Itinerary Enclosed' or something like that, in many different languages. They're meant to be tags attached to a suitcase handle, but I just tuck them into an outside pocket.

Thank you, OP, for relaying your story. Very glad it all worked out for you.

My way. I print the tags, fold them, apply a strip of clear packing tape, complete the fold, punch a hole in the loose end of the tag and they will be secured with a tie wrap when we get to our hotel. These tags are carried in our carry on bag. In addition, I print out extras, cut them in half and place one in the zipper pouch of each of our checked bags. I figure that gives all necessary info for the bags to get to the ship. :cool:

If it is necessary to fly to your cruise departure city, it is best that you do so at least one day ahead of time. That way if your luggage is delayed, there is a good chance that it will catch up with you before you board the ship.

Also, if you are traveling with another person, put some of each person's clothes in the other person's luggage. That way both of you will have SOME clothes until the delayed luggage shows up.

I always pack a couple of days-worth of clothes in a carry on, as well as my bedtime attire and other necessities, so I have the minimum with me even if my main bag is delayed.

We always fly in a day early, however, because our wedding and the timing, that was the one cruise we were unable to do so. Every cruise since, we fly in the day or evening before.

Archived