Palma Mallorca

FeelingCruisy

This port was actually the departing port of my first cruise back in 2003. However, only thing I remember is we took a bus somewhere, saw a big giant cathedral and shopped for black pearls. We're arriving, Sunday, Nov 7. I read from another post that most shops will be closed. Does this include jewelery shops?

Also, basically was reading up on some posts, and Soller and Valldemossa came to light. Transportation getting there?

Car rental, anything close by to the port? Any information would be great. We were initially planning to just head to town for some shopping, but if they'll be closed, perhaps some sightseeing would be the next best thing. I've googled some pics of Valldemossa and it looked breathtaking, reminds me of the little villages south of France.

If you search for "train Soller" on this site, you'll find some people have done the little train to Soller town through the mountains independently. They have done the trip from cruise ships, so will have up to date stories....I haven't travelled that way for some years, when holidaying in Puerto Soller.

Valdemosa is a gem, but you'll need to hire a car...the coast north of there is delightful, with tiny bays. Ask a taxi driver to take you to a rental garage, or ask how much for the round trip.

Enjoy Mallorca....it's been the holiday resort choice of N. Europeans for half a century and more! :)

Jo.

This port was actually the departing port of my first cruise back in 2003. However, only thing I remember is we took a bus somewhere, saw a big giant cathedral and shopped for black pearls. We're arriving, Sunday, Nov 7. I read from another post that most shops will be closed. Does this include jewelery shops?

Also, basically was reading up on some posts, and Soller and Valldemossa came to light. Transportation getting there?

Car rental, anything close by to the port? Any information would be great. We were initially planning to just head to town for some shopping, but if they'll be closed, perhaps some sightseeing would be the next best thing. I've googled some pics of Valldemossa and it looked breathtaking, reminds me of the little villages south of France.

We'll be in Palma on a Sat. in November. I researched the Soller Saturday trains and the schedule returning is not good on a Sat., practically undoable. I researched renting a car - it was complicated because all searches led me to downtown Palma or the airport. I did come across Avis Palma Gabriel Roca, address Autovia de Poniente, 16. Phone number 971 730 720 (from the States dialy 011 then 34 then the 971 #). I called and a man answered the phone - said that it would be about 65 euros for the day plus gas, obviously.

The Avis place is up the bay, just before the turn to the east. You can take the #1 bus, leaving from Club de Mar, near the ship dock, and getting off at Auditorium stop. We are going to take the #1 bus, rent a car at Avis, drive across the island northeast to Alcudia then to visit the nearby Roman ruins at Pollentia. Then, back in Palma, time allowing, we're going to drive up to Castle Bellver, which has magnificent views. Then return the car and walk back to the ship - about a 30 minute walk I would imagine.

We'll be in Palma on a Sat. in November. I researched the Soller Saturday trains and the schedule returning is not good on a Sat., practically undoable. I researched renting a car - it was complicated because all searches led me to downtown Palma or the airport. I did come across Avis Palma Gabriel Roca, address Autovia de Poniente, 16. Phone number 971 730 720 (from the States dialy 011 then 34 then the 971 #). I called and a man answered the phone - said that it would be about 65 euros for the day plus gas, obviously.

The Avis place is up the bay, just before the turn to the east. You can take the #1 bus, leaving from Club de Mar, near the ship dock, and getting off at Auditorium stop. We are going to take the #1 bus, rent a car at Avis, drive across the island northeast to Alcudia then to visit the nearby Roman ruins at Pollentia. Then, back in Palma, time allowing, we're going to drive up to Castle Bellver, which has magnificent views. Then return the car and walk back to the ship - about a 30 minute walk I would imagine.

From visits in 2002, 2003 and 2007 I made this which shows Pollenca, Alcudia and brief glimpses of Valldemossa and Deia. If you can get to the North of the island I'm sure you'd like it as there's some really great scenery in addition to the caves and pretty beaches. Soller is a nice town too.

• 2 weeks later...
From visits in 2002, 2003 and 2007 I made this which shows Pollenca, Alcudia and brief glimpses of Valldemossa and Deia. If you can get to the North of the island I'm sure you'd like it as there's some really great scenery in addition to the caves and pretty beaches. Soller is a nice town too.

Nice video.. I'm inspired.

Regarding the Soller train, Ive read more than a couple of ppl on here saying that Sat/Sun schedules is limited. But when I looked at the website, there seemed to be no difference to me, am I looking at the wrong link??

http://www.trendesoller.com/es/cms.php/horarios

Beautiful video!

The thing with Palma is that cruise passengers are only a small part of the business of the city. Mallorca as a whole is a major holiday destination in Europe, but most of the resorts are outside Palma itself. Some are around Palma bay - Arenal to the east, Palma Nova/Magaluf to the west - but many are in other parts of the island There are a string of big resorts along the east coast of the island, for example, as well as individual resorts along the west and north-west coasts.

Palma is mainly the commercial, adminstrative and governmental centre of the whole island. As such it's predominantly geared to meeting the needs of a well-off, sophisticated, local clientale. For example, Palma has good shopping with a wide range of excellent shops but it's aimed at that local market so the shops tend to be Spanish-speaking rather than aiming at english-speaking day visitors. That's not to say there aren't tourist attractions in the city, there are, but they're secondary to the city's main business. And of course November is outside the main tourist season.

Archived