Liberty vs. Mariner

Tapi

Hello everybody:

A bit of background about us. We've sailed on Royal Caribbean, but the last time was in 2004 aboard the Empress of the Seas. Needless to say, things have changed quite a bit since then, so that's why we'd like to get your feedback! :)

Here's the scenario. Looking at two cruises. One is a 5 night on the Liberty (Jamaica/Labadee) for $599, the other one is a 7 night on the Mariner (Belize/Roatan/Cozumel) for $629.

I'm initially leaning towards the Mariner because it's a longer cruise for just $30 more, but I'm wondering if the differences between the Liberty and the Mariner would justify taking a shorter cruise.

Flying to Galveston or Ft. Lauderdale is not an issue for us. In addition, we've been to Cozumel, but not to any of the other ports listed above.

Which ship/itinerary would you choose and why?

Are the differences between the Mariner and the Liberty that significant?

Thanks in advance!

Liberty, though larger, is very similiar to the Mariner other than the Flowrider and kiddie pool (as mentioned previously) and some other minor differences. Would also go with the 7 day Mariner over the 5 day Liberty in a heartbeat. Plus the fact that the Liberty goes to Jamaica and the Mariner doesn't would make my choice of the Mariner a very easy decision.

Tim

My vote is for the seven day Mariner. Good itinerary and a better deal for the $30pp. Question though - is the difference in pre-cruise hotel/transportation costs for Galveston and Ft L. a consideration or issue?

My vote is for the seven day Mariner. Good itinerary and a better deal for the $30pp. Question though - is the difference in pre-cruise hotel/transportation costs for Galveston and Ft L. a consideration or issue?

Thanks for all the responses. I think we'll stick with the Mariner.

tahoemc, to answer your question, pre cruise hotel/transportation is not an issue. I work for the airlines, so thankfully we can fly to either city free of cost. We also redeem hotel points for our pre cruise hotel stays. :)

Good point about transportation costs. It can cost some to get from the Houston airport to the Galveston and the ship. It is over an hour drive from Houston Intercontinental Bush Airport to Galveston, and a half-hour or so from Houston Hobby. Still, those extra 2 days on the Mariner would be nice and probably worth it even with extra ground transportation costs. I assume you are planning for over year from now, since the Mariner of the Seas starts Nov. 11, 2011, from Galveston.

Good point about transportation costs. It can cost some to get from the Houston airport to the Galveston and the ship. It is over an hour drive from Houston Intercontinental Bush Airport to Galveston, and a half-hour or so from Houston Hobby. Still, those extra 2 days on the Mariner would be nice and probably worth it even with extra ground transportation costs. I assume you are planning for over year from now, since the Mariner of the Seas starts Nov. 11, 2011, from Galveston.

Jiminbigd, that was the point I was attempting to make. While it appears the OP has some travel benefits through employment, our options in getting from Hobby to Galveston (about 45 min) was pretty pricey back in 2008. Since we were in a group of 6, two one-way van rentals from a well-known chain worked out best for us. I don't have experience with FLL ground costs, but the map would suggest that MIA and FLL are closer to the Ft. L cruise terminal and maybe cheaper. Just a hunch - someone correct me if I'm wrong. However, in the end, cruise pricing and itinerary usually trumps air/hotel/ground costs - within reason of course.

Have been on Navigator, same class as Mariner and Freedom, same class as Liberty. Both ships are wonderful. You will love either. The ports are more of a personal matter some may love one over another but I don't really see that as the difference maker. Two more days on a similar class ship for $30 more is the no brainer.

Hello everybody:

A bit of background about us. We've sailed on Royal Caribbean, but the last time was in 2004 aboard the Empress of the Seas. Needless to say, things have changed quite a bit since then, so that's why we'd like to get your feedback! :)

Here's the scenario. Looking at two cruises. One is a 5 night on the Liberty (Jamaica/Labadee) for $599, the other one is a 7 night on the Mariner (Belize/Roatan/Cozumel) for $629.

I'm initially leaning towards the Mariner because it's a longer cruise for just $30 more, but I'm wondering if the differences between the Liberty and the Mariner would justify taking a shorter cruise.

Flying to Galveston or Ft. Lauderdale is not an issue for us. In addition, we've been to Cozumel, but not to any of the other ports listed above.

Thanks in advance!

This is easy! Mariner is a wonderful ship. It is only slightly smaller than Liberty, the only thing it is missing is the Flowrider. Plus given the two itineraries Cozumel, Roatan and Belize are amazing especially if you like diving/snorkeling.

Seriously the only thing Mariner is missing is the Flowrider, you won't miss it. We spent a week on Freedom and got to do the Flowrider once because the lines were so long. After sailing on both the Freedom and Mariner, we liked Mariner better.

Mariner has a flow rider...

Nosirree, it does not. Only Freedom Class (Liberty, Independence, Freedom) and Oasis Class (Oasis, Allure) have the Flow Rider (or multiple, in the instance of Oasis and Allure). Mariner is Voyager class (with Voyager, Navigator, Adventure and Explorer) and that class of ship does not have the Flow Rider.

Hello everybody:

Thanks in advance!

Never been on the Mariner but have been on the Freedom (sister ship to Liberty) and LOVED it :) For us the draw is the Flowrider and until we are too old and feeble, we will cruise on ships with a Flowrider.

Also, LOVE the picture of your dog - AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA - we had Labs when I was a kid and I still think they are the BEST dogs ever :D

Unless you MUST go on the flow rider or MUST play in the kiddie pool area - I would pick mariner over liberty. I would always take the 7 day over the 5 day! Mariner and Navigator are some of my favorite ships!

Enjoy!

Kathy

I haven't been on Liberty, but I agree with this. $30 for two more days and another port? I would do Mariner. It's a lovely ship.

7 day for sure, Mariner is a beautiful ship and it's not small. I will say I'm from Texas and I've been to hobby and george bush airport, If for some reason you go to george bush, because flights can be cheaper thru g.b it's not a bad drive and i didn't even realize it was an hour - it goes by fast. have fun :)

One other difference between Liberty (Freedom Class) and Mariner (Voyager Class) is that Mariner lacks the beautiful cantilevered hot tubs in the Solarium area. However, I believe that there is an indoor whirlpool in the gym on Mariner -- instead of the ridiculous boxing ring that all the Freedom Class ships have. :rolleyes:

Archived