Will I regret the switch...?

Tapi

Hello everybody!

First time on Princess, first time to Alaska.

Originally, we were booked to sail on the Golden going to Glacier Bay. Unfortunately, the vacation week that I had requested was not approved, so we had to change our plans to a different week.

In order to keep our cost to what we had originally budgeted, we had to switch to the Sapphire going to Tracy Arm Fjord.

My questions are:

• Should we stick to the Golden/Glacier Bay for the earlier week even if it costs us more money?
  • Will we regret sailing to Tracy Arm instead of Glacier Bay?
  • Are there many differences between the Golden and the Sapphire?
  • Is there a ship that you prefer over the other?

Thanks for your feedback!!

You want Glacier Bay.

Pay more for GB. No doubt, especially if you think this is going to be your only trip to Alaska.

From the moment you pick up the Park Rangers from Bartlett Cove, you will have one of the most fascinating days in your life.

The cruise up past the Beardslee Islands and north to the Russell Island split will first take you into John Hopkins Inlet to view the John Hopkins Glacier and then out you come with a quick hard to port and up Tarr Inlet to the bases of the Margerie and Grand Pacific Glaciers.

In the words of the native Tlingit People, "Haa aani a ya" (This is our homeland).

Ciao for now!!!

Will you regret the switch? Probably not -- but only because you won't realize what you are missing!

We sailed Tracy Arm for our first trip to Alaska in 2009 and it was amazing, beautiful, majestic, etc., etc., etc. Then we decided to go to Alaska again in 2010 and opted for the Glacier Bay itinerary -- and it completely blows Tracy Arm away. With Tracy Arm you are spending 2 hours going in and 2 hours coming out the exact same way. Glacier Bay is a full day, and while the entrance and exit may be the same, the rest of the time you are zig-zagging in and out of arms looking at a number of different glaciers.

I agree that the time of year may also be a consideration, because I've heard that sometimes you can't go very far up Tracy Arm because there is too much ice in the water (think early June).

Anyway, if you can afford it and your boss will give you the time off, go with Glacier Bay. But if you end up with Tracy Arm, I assure you, you will still have an awesome experience!

I would take the Golden. It has the Iternatl. Cafe and the food there is very good! My wife and I had lunch there every day. It was quick and the food was better than what the serve in the horizon court. The ship was very nice and it has service was great.

Count me in with the Glacier Bay group. Overall this can be a great experience, the only way Tracy Arm compares is if you can do an all day small boat tour to get up close. The experience from the ship just does compare to Glacier Bay. (and I've visited both numerous times)

Here is a link to some photos from my Aug 2010 cruise that visited both sites. Granted the Tracy Arm photos are spectacular but you will not see this from your cruise ship. The Glacier Bay photos are from the ship and exactly what you will visit. (I can't guarantee the great weather though) FYI check the Alaska board if you want to see the full Tracy Arm photo album, just do a search for Tracy Arm.

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00a1-faf6-3f92?lb

Glacier Bay beats Tracy Arm, and the Golden was totally updated very recently to include many of the features of the Crown/Ruby/Emerald. About the same size and number of people. Love the Sapphire, but I think that the Golden may have more going for it now (more amenities than the Sapphire/Diamond and about 500 fewer passengers than the Crown/Ruby/Emerald).

Hi Tapi,

Should we stick to the Golden/Glacier Bay for the earlier week even if it costs us more money?

Stick with the Golden/Glacier Bay option. Our first Alaskan cruise was in the spring and aside from the Glacier’s I was most impressed by the baby seals. Momma seal puts the newborn seals on the small chunks of ice that are floating around the bay. This is so that the killer whales will not eat them. As you float around the bay you will see and hear the little ones barking at you.

Another idea that I thought of too late to do anything about was to arrange for the ships photographer to take our picture while sipping champagne in the hot tub with one of the large glacier in the back ground. I thought that it would make a nice Christmas card photo

Will we regret sailing to Tracy Arm instead of Glacier Bay?

You probably will.

Are there many differences between the Golden and the Sapphire?

Don’t know about this. They are both about the same size.

Is there a ship that you prefer over the other?

Our preference is for the smaller ships; Island Princess, Pacific Princess.

Cheers, VegasPier

I LOVE Glacier Bay! That being said - I've also compared the number of cruise ships in port at each location (2011 schedules are out on http://www.claalaska.com/schedules.html) to help me determine which cruise to take. When you've got 4 - 5 cruise ships in port at the same time, I find the crowds a bit overwhelming, vs 1 - 2 ships which are more manageable.

Tracy Arm is a waste of time IMHO. The ships can rarely get close enough to the glaciers to see/hear calving and really appreciate their beauty. No, you won't know what you're missing if it's your first trip to Alaska. But if it's the only trip you plan to make there, go for Glacier Bay. It's worth the extra money.

Thanks for all the input!

Well, I woke up this morning getting price quotes for the Golden Princess to Glacier Bay!

Yes, this will be our first time to Alaska, and as many mentioned, we'll probably have a wonderful time at Tracy Arm not knowing what we missed at Glacier Bay.

We're are in our 30's, and most likely we'll have an opportunity to return to Alaska on a future cruise, but we're also bringing along my parents who are in their 70's, and this cruise to Alaska is probably going to be the only time they go there (or so they say now!). With that in mind, I think that going to Glacier Bay might be the best thing to do.

BTW, is there a "better side" of the ship for this 7 night cruise to Glacier Bay from Seattle?

Thanks for all the input!

Well, I woke up this morning getting price quotes for the Golden Princess to Glacier Bay!

Yes, this will be our first time to Alaska, and as many mentioned, we'll probably have a wonderful time at Tracy Arm not knowing what we missed at Glacier Bay.

We're are in our 30's, and most likely we'll have an opportunity to return to Alaska on a future cruise, but we're also bringing along my parents who are in their 70's, and this cruise to Alaska is probably going to be the only time they go there (or so they say now!). With that in mind, I think that going to Glacier Bay might be the best thing to do.

BTW, is there a "better side" of the ship for this 7 night cruise to Glacier Bay from Seattle?

Tapi - the other thing to think about is that my first cruise, we went to Hubbard Glacier and we were iced out. Ships miss Tracy Arm quite a bit because they are iced out and even when they can get in, a lot of times they don't make it to the glaciers at the end. This is often more frequent then not. We were definitely disappointed as we didn't see any glaciers on our first trip and that is the only time I have taken my mom to Alaska. I have gone to Tracy Arm 2x and was iced out both times (once in May and another time in July).

So you are doing the right thing as Glacier Bay is rarely iced out (I have only read one situation online and it was many years ago).

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest you get a balcony on the port side of the ship. The main reason is the ship enters glacier bay early in the morning and everything at that time is on the port side. It is EXTREMELY cold that early - we greatly appreciated our port side balcony and being able to duck inside to warm up. By 10 a.m. it was warm enough to go topside and see all around, so it didn't matter much after that. Enjoy, it is fabulous!

We've done Glacier Bay most times until last September. Our schedule needed adjusting this year, so we decided to see what we were missing at Tracy Arm. Our Captain did a fabulous job of getting us in -- the Sapphire was coming out as we wound our way up the curvy entrance. We got much closer than Sapphire tried. We were on the Golden and loved it. But for next year I booked going to Glacier Bay again.

We are also booking the Golden next year with the Glacier Bay itinerary. Are coats needed for May? I haven't been since 1994 and all I remember is a very cold day.

Bring it. You may need it in the morning in ports. You will definitely need it outside at the glacier. You may need it less or more - very unpredictable.

Bring it. You may need it in the morning in ports. You will definitely need it outside at the glacier. You may need it less or more - very unpredictable.

Thanks Coral! :) We were going to book a balcony but now it comes down to book a balcony and go on 1 cruise this upcoming year or book an inside and go on 2 cruises. After just experiencing an inside room and seeing we can handle it fine it looks like that is what we will be doing which I never would have said before.

Archived