Post cruise St Thomas--

fpebbles

Our cruises thus far, and two of the three cruises we have booked for next year end in St. Thomas.

St. Thomas very nearly ruins my good vacation feeling at the end of a wonderful SeaDream cruise.

I wouldn't mind if I could check my bags and sit and read in Delta sky club, but not only is there no sky club, because I'd just sit in the airport, but you can't check in until a couple hours before your flight.

We've done the Ritz excursion thru SeaDream and would do that again if necessary, but it's a long drive if you're not going to buy into the Ritz condos.

We've shared a cab with some other SeaDreamers for a few hours and that was a nice diversion but it just happened because we were all so frustrated with the cab drivers.

I wish we could stay an extra day at the end of the cruise but my schedule won't allow that--that would be ideal and take care of the problem.

How do others solve this?

Have you ever hauled your luggage with you around town?

Is there a better hotel to go to than the one near the airport that does day rates?

Thanks in advance!

Our cruises thus far, and two of the three cruises we have booked for next year end in St. Thomas.

St. Thomas very nearly ruins my good vacation feeling at the end of a wonderful SeaDream cruise.

I wouldn't mind if I could check my bags and sit and read in Delta sky club, but not only is there no sky club, because I'd just sit in the airport, but you can't check in until a couple hours before your flight.

We've done the Ritz excursion thru SeaDream and would do that again if necessary, but it's a long drive if you're not going to buy into the Ritz condos.

We've shared a cab with some other SeaDreamers for a few hours and that was a nice diversion but it just happened because we were all so frustrated with the cab drivers.

I wish we could stay an extra day at the end of the cruise but my schedule won't allow that--that would be ideal and take care of the problem.

How do others solve this?

Have you ever hauled your luggage with you around town?

Is there a better hotel to go to than the one near the airport that does day rates?

Thanks in advance!

How do we handle this? We never, never end a cruise in STT. Never.

....that would be ideal.

Circumstances prevent it, however, as my vacation time is secured a year in advance and the choice is either SeaDream where they are going at that time or NOT SeaDream and do something else. I enjoyed your very, very helpful review of Seabourn. It sounded lovely and reinforced that for me, for now, SeaDream seems the best place to be. :o

So I'll take my lumps with St. Thomas if I have to, but was just wondering if anyone had any hints.

Thanks!

You might want to look at the Emerald Bay hotel. Haven't stayed there yet but the location is ideal, on the water right next to the airport. Even if they don't have day rates, they are running a $99 special so it might be worth checking out.

So appreciate your research/information!

$89 AAA rate! Whoo-hooo!

At that price, I don't even care if I just store my luggage and go into town! :D

And so much better than sitting at the baggage pickup watching people arrive for the start of vacations while your waiting for the counter to open so you can go into the airport.

DJ's DH and I totally understand how you feel fpebbles in terms of the rude awakening and welcome to the real world one faces after disembarking SD in STT:eek:

When we haven't been able to overnight in STT post cruise we have left our bags with the SD staff and gone shopping. Not my favorite thing to do but still an option.

We haven't done the day rate at any of the hotels out near the airport but I have read on the STT board here on CC that many folks find this a good and viable option! Will be interested to hear your report upon your return:D

Try prearrainging a private tour. That way you have something interesting to do and have a driver that will wait for you at lunch, shopping, etc. and can take you to the airport. Call the Ritz in ST and see if they have the number for Americus, a really great guy with a nice van. He does tours from there, but would pick you up anywhere. He bought us a local's lunch and would not let us pay!

they are running a $99 special so it might be worth checking out.

Where did you find this $99 special for next year? I am getting a quote for $278 AAA rate on the Best Western site for our March dates. Am I looking in the wrong place, or does the special not extend that far out?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that www.skyauction.com has the Windward Passage on their website. The current bid is super low, so you might check this out. I have purchased cruises and hotel packages from the before and have found them to be reputable.

:)

I booked the high rate so we'll have something, but I'll watch for the price to drop. Thanks so much for the info!

Last time we took a cab towards airport and just before airport on the left is a smaller hotel/motel. We stopped at front desk, they took our bags, we had lunch, drinks and used their beach, it was decent and they were nice. I would try it again. Then a two minute ride to airport, sorry I can't remember the name but if you look on expedia or something for all hotels and map it, you can find it.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the Windward Passage is a decent hotel for a one night pre-cruise stay? The reviews on Trip Advisor are decent but there are some really bad ones. It seems to be within walking distance to a lot of things and close enough to the two cruise terminals. I won't know which terminal we are leaving out of until the day we arrive. My guess is we will leave out of Crown Bay for the Dec trip.

I'm a new poster to CC and have only been "yachting" with SD once so definitely take this with a couple of grains of salt.

In response to the original poster, fpebbles, I have to say I really understand your concern about St Thomas but also that I have a new found appreciation for it after overnighting there with our SD trip. I'd been to St Thomas a few times before and that experience as well as the generally terrible rep it has made me want to avoid it at any cost. But, because we had to overnight there for our SD trip, we tried to make the most of it. And, as a result, I now think that the reputation it has is unfair. The key is to rent a car. you have to be comfortable driving on the left side of the road but speed limits are slow (30 or 35 max on the island) and only this way can you really get to the more interesting and beautiful spots beyond Charlotte Amalie. The island isn't that big so this is very doable. Places to go include the northwest (strikingly beautiful), the north/Magens Bay area, Drake's chair (has to be one of the best views in the Caribbean) and the eastern tip. Charlotte Amalie is not typical of most of the island. A few very good restaurants and a lot of mediocre or bad ones. Use other restaurant boards (like yelp) to research.

We stayed at Windward Passage. It's not a luxury hotel and doesn't offer many thrills. But, it is clean, not so expensive and centrally located in CA close to airport and port. We'd probably stay there again and spend more money on activities and restaurants.

Thanks for the info, I think the Windward Passage will work for one night. It really isn't worth our while to rent a car as we won't land until 3:30 in the afternoon. We thought of flying in the day of the cruise but it is risky coming from Chicago even though the flight is nonstop. I did not want to land at 3:30 and scramble to the cruise terminal.

I like the fact we can walk to shops and dining from the Windward Passage where as we would be trapped at the Marriott unless we wanted to take a cab to/from dinner.

We do have to find something to do with our bags from the time we check out (11:00) until we can check in at (2:00).

Archived