Warning about bringing wine on board

April2412

Well that right there is part of the reason I would say. I am not picking on you but the contract clearly states 1 bottle of wine per adult not some wine and a bottle of Vodka. Since I enjoy having vodka in my room I have started ordering Grey Goose from Bon Voyage which is much simpler than trying to get it on and wondering if it will make it

How do you order from Bon Voyage and what is Carnival's position/policy on ordering from Bon Voyage? Need Bon Voyage's telephone/email address. Many thanks.

I've heard that it's because some wine bottles have broken inside the luggage & spilled into other passengers' suitcases. In that case, it seems reasonable to have it packed into carry-ons. I wouldn't want my clothes drenched with someone else's booze!!! Especially red wine.

How do you order from Bon Voyage and what is Carnival's position/policy on ordering from Bon Voyage? Need Bon Voyage's telephone/email address. Many thanks.

It's very easy to order from them: Bon Voyage – 800-522-7648. You can call BV, M-F, 9:00 - 5:30 EST.

You can order anything from them. There are numerous threads, so I don't want to hijack this one and post the BV list.

Don, did the contract from 2009 state how the allotted wine had to be brought on board? If not, I think you've got them.

While I know you've said it's a non-issue Don, since you are carrying it on regardless, I wanted to chime in and say that the new rules would apply - regardless of what you signed up for on your contract.

Here's my example: last year when I travelled for a cruise, the "underwear bomber" had just attempted to blow up a plane with stuff smuggled in his skivvies - the airlines banned all carry-on regardless of the fact that when I bought the tickets, it said you were allowed 1 carry-on per person.

Guess that's why CC is such a great tool - we get to learn all the new things to watch for !

Just watch how they throw your luggage around at the pier and it will make you think twice about putting wine in your checked luggage.

I like the other poster would be ticked if someone's drinks (wine, soda, water or liquor) drenched my clothes.

Why pack your wine before you come? Why not buy it when you get to Florida? Surely, you pass places on the way from the airport where you can buy it. You can have your taxi detour to one. That way you don't have to dig through your suitcase and get it out at port. You can get water and soda, too.

Makes sense IF their favorite wine is sold in Florida. Many small wineries don't have a large distribution area or sell wine only at their winery. If that were the case with me, I'm sure I could find a reasonable alternative to buy in Florida, but for special occasions, others may feel differently.

As with any policy, it can be changed and amended up until the time you sail; I would think that if they took the wine out of your suitcase and you were within the limits, you could just get it back. Is that not the case?

Well that right there is part of the reason I would say. I am not picking on you but the contract clearly states 1 bottle of wine per adult not some wine and a bottle of Vodka. Since I enjoy having vodka in my room I have started ordering Grey Goose from Bon Voyage which is much simpler than trying to get it on and wondering if it will make it

I know what the contract says and as I stated, I take my risk. I like Bellvediere and BV does not sell it - if they did I would order it. I also would not complain if it was taken.

I never even think about bringing beverages on board. If I want one, I add it to my ship board account and use my American Express Platinum card to pay for it.

Welcome to cruise critic. I do bring a few cokes for my sister, but now that Im on my own .. no more to lug on for me either.

As with any policy, it can be changed and amended up until the time you sail; I would think that if they took the wine out of your suitcase and you were within the limits, you could just get it back. Is that not the case?

Nope, not the case. They will take anything liquid to drink from checked luggage at times, when they crack down. .. for those who insist on smuggling it. Anything not in your carry on is considered smuggled by Carnival.

This thread is another reason I'm happy I joined this community... thanks for the information! I was a bit confused about this policy relating to when we board and when we booked. I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled on the latest from them prior to boarding.

We have a great family income, not that it should matter to anyone here or anywhere for that matter, but we do enjoy saving a buck or two if we can. ;)

Nope, not the case. They will take anything liquid to drink from checked luggage at times, when they crack down. .. for those who insist on smuggling it. Anything not in your carry on is considered smuggled by Carnival.

Thanks Fire - interesting that they would not give it back to you if it were a bottle of wine. We may carry on this year and go to the cabin and drop it off immediately - I just hate carrying stuff around :(

I wonder what they do with all the liquor that they confiscate; I bet the crew have a big party ;)

I would like to clarify a few things from my original post.

For those of you telling me I should have "read the rules", yes you are correct. HOWEVER, I have cruised many times before, and had just cruised with Carnival in March. I don't reread the contract before each and every cruise. I guess now I will!

For those asking why we even put it in our checked baggage I don't have any real reason, we just did. We flew from San Diego to Tampa, stayed a night in Tampa before and bought the wine there and then added it to our checked luggage before we left the hotel. I do wonder how it would have worked for the people that flew with the wine in their checked bagged and got picked up by Carnival and had their bags taken right away. I guess they would have had to stop them and change it out really fast.

I was sailing on the Legend on 10/3

As for the person who said that people should lock their bags, I disagree. My parents where on the Carnival Paradise from Long Beach the same time I was on this cruise, they also put their wine in their checked baggage but it was locked. They said that it took them forever to get the letter or call (I don't remember what one it was) to tell them to come down and unlock their baggage so they could take the wine out.

When we found the note in our bags we called guest services and they were extremely rude about it. They told us that we could be sneaking hard liquor or home made strong wine in our wine bottle and get way too drunk and that is why they want to be able to look at it as a carry on. This doesn't make sense to me, but I am more disappointed about how rude they were to us.

Finally, yes we did get the wine back on the last night. It was delivered to our room while we were at dinner. But another WARNING, my parents cruise did not give them their wine back the last night. The debarkation morning they had to go pick it up.

One more thing!

I would be mad if someone had wine in their baggage and it broke and leaked into my bag. However I don't think this is likely. I have had a bottle of wine break during a flight and I didn't even know until I got home and opened my bag. Still didn't even know until I started taking a few things out and then found that the clothes I had used to wrap the bottle had wine on them.

For those of you telling me I should have "read the rules", yes you are correct. HOWEVER, I have cruised many times before, and had just cruised with Carnival in March. I don't reread the contract before each and every cruise. I guess now I will!

For those asking why we even put it in our checked baggage I don't have any real reason, we just did. We flew from San Diego to Tampa, stayed a night in Tampa before and bought the wine there and then added it to our checked luggage before we left the hotel. I do wonder how it would have worked for the people that flew with the wine in their checked bagged and got picked up by Carnival and had their bags taken right away. I guess they would have had to stop them and change it out really fast.

I was sailing on the Legend on 10/3

As for the person who said that people should lock their bags, I disagree. My parents where on the Carnival Paradise from Long Beach the same time I was on this cruise, they also put their wine in their checked baggage but it was locked. They said that it took them forever to get the letter or call (I don't remember what one it was) to tell them to come down and unlock their baggage so they could take the wine out.

When we found the note in our bags we called guest services and they were extremely rude about it. They told us that we could be sneaking hard liquor or home made strong wine in our wine bottle and get way too drunk and that is why they want to be able to look at it as a carry on. This doesn't make sense to me, but I am more disappointed about how rude they were to us.

Finally, yes we did get the wine back on the last night. It was delivered to our room while we were at dinner. But another WARNING, my parents cruise did not give them their wine back the last night. The debarkation morning they had to go pick it up.

Good point about those who fly and use a Carnival transfer; we drive to the pier but I have never thought of that.

I would think as long as you were within the limits; you should be able to receive your wine immediately.

I agree that Carnival customer service has been lacking lately; not sure why - but definitely has been :(

i highly recommend using rum runners to carry on red wine and liquor. i just returned yesterday from Carnival Liberty, had 4 bottles of red wine in my rum runners, a liter of captain morgan private stock, and grey goose vodka. all were wraped in ziplock gallon freezer bags absolutely none of it was detected by carnival and not a drop leaked out. nor did i bother to lock my bags. great cruise. hiccup.

i highly recommend using rum runners to carry on red wine and liquor. i just returned yesterday from Carnival Liberty' date=' had 4 bottles of red wine in my rum runners, a liter of captain morgan private stock, and grey goose vodka. all were wraped in ziplock gallon freezer bags absolutely none of it was detected by carnival and not a drop leaked out. nor did i bother to lock my bags. great cruise. hiccup.[/quote']

I'm confused; if you had the rum runners, why did you have ziplock bags?

What else was in your bag, what kind of bag was it?

I'm so sorry this happened to you! And to fellow cruisers...

I would want to carry glass bottles in my carry on for protection and my sanity of knowing that a break didn't ruin things in my suitcase... And I have a two bottle carry one that's designed for wine bottles...

Thanks for letting us know this is truly being enforced.

Could not have agreed with you more. In July my son and DIL were with us on the Miracle. I specifically told them they were allowed to bring one bottle of wine each and to put it in carry on. This was their first sail and I guess they thought that carry on meant that the luggage was carried on by the porters. To make a long story short the bottle (only one) was in their luggage and when they got to their cabin the bottle had broken and the luggage soaked :eek:. Unfortunately that was a hard lesson but one well learned. Personally, I do not bring any liquor at all on board. It may be a bit expensive but I purchase all drinks on board.

For those of you telling me I should have "read the rules", yes you are correct. HOWEVER, I have cruised many times before, and had just cruised with Carnival in March.

I dont remember for sure, but the rules for carry on only probably were in effect in March when you cruised .. you just didnt get caught. It was early this year the rule went into effect.

Before that, there were tons of people explaining all you had to do was put your two bottles in your checked luggage and carry on two, and you could easily get away with double what was allowed. Now Carnival is cracking down, thats all.

As often as I used to fly, there was ALWAYS something new, usually around security, especially after 9/11.

And there were always the dopes holding up the line, cause "they didn't know". Signs all over the place, on the tickets, but "THEY" didn't know.

I wished they had a line for "THE STUPID".

BTW, the "rule" about wine was also in effect for your March cruise.

yup, its been all over the message boards recently! Luckily we read it so we had no problem on our cruise last week, just packed the box of wine in carry on. Sorry it was confiscated for you. We also did bon voyage for some vodka, that worked great too.

I'm so sorry this happened to you! And to fellow cruisers...

I would want to carry glass bottles in my carry on for protection and my sanity of knowing that a break didn't ruin things in my suitcase... And I have a two bottle carry one that's designed for wine bottles...

Thanks for letting us know this is truly being enforced.

I am thinking that someone's wine, soda or water might have broken open and soaked luggage. I know that I would be upset to get my bags and have the contents wet/ruined due to someone else's negligence in packing those items properly.

yup, its been all over the message boards recently! Luckily we read it so we had no problem on our cruise last week, just packed the box of wine in carry on. Sorry it was confiscated for you. We also did bon voyage for some vodka, that worked great too.

So, let me get this stright - I can substitute a box of wine for 2 bottles of wine?

Archived