Need help with planning 3 night stay in Paris

ecall

We were in Paris for 4 days two years ago and had a wonderful time. We stayed at the Citadines Hotel in St Germaine de Pres, right on the Seine River. We were a very short walk (10 minutes) from the Notre Dame and the Louve and right across from the famous book stalls. In addition just behind the hotel we had all the marvelous shopping that just goes on and on in St Germaine. There was a little crepe and sandwich stand on the corner, many good restaurants and the oldest church in Paris is located in the neighborhood. Another 10 minute walk around the corner led us to a bakery, fruit market and grocery store which was great since you can do some cooking in these rooms which have little kitchenettes. That was both fun and practical because food in Paris is expensive! I believe the D'Orsay Museum was a short walk away but we did not get there. We had to take a taxi to the Champs Elysees and Eiffel Tower but we were OK with that and there was a bus across the road we could have taken. We really enjoyed our short stay and hope you do too!

Paris lovers (we are part of that club) all seem to have their personal favorite neighborhoods and museums...not to mention cafes, restaurants etc. For us, we visit the Musee D'Orsay on every visit to the city and could care less about the Louvre (many would strike us dead for this blaspeomy. As to neighborhoods we are big fans of the Left Bank (especially the 5th and 6th) but also love the Marais area on the Right Bank. And of course there is the Isle de Cite. As to the more touristy Eiffel Tower and Champs Elysee areas we could care less.....but again, some would strike us dead for this statement :)

Hank

Paris lovers (we are part of that club) all seem to have their personal favorite neighborhoods and museums...not to mention cafes, restaurants etc. For us, we visit the Musee D'Orsay on every visit to the city and could care less about the Louvre (many would strike us dead for this blaspeomy. As to neighborhoods we are big fans of the Left Bank (especially the 5th and 6th) but also love the Marais area on the Right Bank. And of course there is the Isle de Cite. As to the more touristy Eiffel Tower and Champs Elysee areas we could care less.....but again, some would strike us dead for this statement. Hank

Hopefully this does not offend Hank, but I have to note that I agree STRONGLY with about 93% of what he notes above. Our only difference is that I really like the Louvre, too. I first saw that palace that become a museum in 1970 when a college student. Have been back several times after the re-do and glorious expansion by Pei. It gets crowded and some of the art is too formal and old for me, but, overall, it is a great and classy place. Agree that much around the Eiffel Tower and Champs Elysee areas get kind of boring and average. Much more love to stay in the areas of Paris, as Hank noted, that have character, history and architecture.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,560 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Agree that is an excellent summary point, especially for lovely and romantic Paris. To others, I have raised this question: How do you want to “ENJOY" and "EXPERIENCE" things in the Paris, France, etc?

Rush-rush and gulp it down like soda pop or beer . . . OR . . . sip and savor the moment like fine wine, doing people watching, sensing an enjoyment of life and the humanity, the natural beauty, the architecture, history and charm? It's your choice!!!

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,500 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Terry, you sound like someone who knows Paris. What can you do with just 60 hours in Paris?

We're hitting the high points: Eiffel Tower, River Cruise, Notre Dame, Place de la Concorde, Champs Elysee, Arc de Triomphe, Napoleon's Tomb. What else would you recommend?

We're passing on Versailles this trip because of lack of time, unless you have some suggestions for just a few hours, otherwise I don't want to do that unless I can invest the time.

We also are avoiding museums this time around unless it rains and then we're planning to do D'Orsey and/or the Egyptian wing at the Louvre.

My DH and I were in Paris in December. We stayed at the Hotel Brighton top floor executive suite. From our balcony we could see many landmarks including a small piece of the top of Notre Dame, the Louvre, the Orsay, the Eiffel Tower, and the top of the Arc de triomphe. There was a subway entrance right across the street. I'm sure there are many other great locations, but we did enjoy the convenience of the subway being so close. We used Linda who rode the subway with us and spent a day showing us around. She is originally from Texas and made our stay much more fun. You can contact Linda at: parisphototours@aol.com. She helped us find some unique spots in Paris, and it was fun to spend the day with her.

Terry, you sound like someone who knows Paris. What can you do with just 60 hours in Paris? We're hitting the high points: Eiffel Tower, River Cruise, Notre Dame, Place de la Concorde, Champs Elysee, Arc de Triomphe, Napoleon's Tomb. What else would you recommend? We're passing on Versailles this trip because of lack of time, unless you have some suggestions for just a few hours, otherwise I don't want to do that unless I can invest the time. We also are avoiding museums this time around unless it rains and then we're planning to do D'Orsey and/or the Egyptian wing at the Louvre.

THANKS to Phil and Wanda from Canada for the kind comments! YES, 60 hours is a decent amount of time for Paris and you can do a wide range of things during that period. Much depends on your exact personal interests and travel style. I think you can work in to do the d'Orsay and/or the Egyptian wing at the Louvre. Much depends which days of the week you will be there. The Louvre is closed on Tuesday and open Wednesday until 9:45 p.m. The d'Orsay is closed on Monday and open Thursday until 9:45 p.m.

In line with this thread, WHERE YOU STAY is very important. Being close to the action and/or a good Metro station can save time and make things more time-efficient. Time is money. Better locations cost more in some cases, but can be worth it.

For Paris and nearby, you might consider starting your visit to Paris by doing a bus/coach tour. That will give you a good "overview" with some of the basics of the city. You can get more details at:

http://www.pariscityrama.com/en

Yes, doing a river cruise is great to see Paris from a different angle. You can board at Pont Neuf and get great views of famous Paris sights, especially at night as major buildings are lighted. From this website (www. vedettesdupontneuf.com), you can get more detailed information on one of the companies offering these trips.

Whether the time to go up the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe is worth it, can be debatable. Maybe, maybe not. Napoleon's Tomb is interesting, but maybe not as high of a priority in my view. I think Rodin's museum is very interesting. It has nice scale in both the interior exhibit area as an old mansion, plus the gardens with the outdoor sculpture, at Varenne Metro stop next to Hotel des Invaldes, has third largest private garden in Paris, originally built in 1730, Rodin used as his studio from 1908 until his death in 1917, open Tuesday Sunday 10-5:45. It's not a large, massive place like the Louvre.

Other Paris thoughts/notes:

WHAT MAKES PARIS GREAT/UNIQUE: With style and sophistication, Paris is correctly proud of its cultural achievements over the centuries. This confidence is expressed in Parisian life, including its architecture from ancient structures to controversy over Hausmann's bold late 1800's master plan and more recent modern developments. Paris has taken bold decisions, including the Lourve with is now well-accepted glass pyramid by I. M. Pei.

Although at the heart of Europe, Paris is very individualistic and intuitive. The city has attracted great writers artists and thinkers. Historically, it has been a city of unrest, rebellion and revolution (an idea they helped finance in America and that lead to the sharp-edged 1789 removal of the Royal family). Paris has a special style and soul. It is a high-flying mix of architecture, fashion, history, idiosyncrasy, style, texture, color and atmosphere. Paris is romantic, distinctive!

Walking around is so vital to experience Paris. Here are three key options to consider:

ILE SAINT LOUIS is one of the most charming little areas in all of Paris. So nice to stroll up its main street as you walk towards Notre Dame and other key highlights. Famed Berthillon ice cream: The only true Berthillon can be found at 31, rue St Louis-en-l'Ile, where it was born. This delicious ice cream has rich colors and equally intense flavors. It comes in myriad flavors, but the rum raisin, dark chocolate (chocolat noir) and mango (mangue) flavors are incredible. This is divine dessert territory. Lots of Boutique shopping and dining places line this street in the heart of Paris.

LE MARAIS Area, NE of Hotel de Ville/City Hall, has Musee Picasso (structure built in 1659, opened in 1985 to settle his estate, open Wednesday-Monday 9:15 5:15) and Musee Carnavalet (built in 1540, two adjoining mansions with decorative arts from the various periods in Paris history), older area starting around metro St Paul station, has Jewish section in area with special foods and historic areas. It has the super great park and architecture of the Place des Vogue area. The Place des Vosges was the prototype for the residential squares of European cities that were to come. What was new about the Place Royale in 1612 was that the house fronts were all built to the same design, of red brick with strips of stone over vaulted arcades that stand on square pillars. Cardinal Richelieu had an equestrian bronze of Louis XIII placed in the center of this charming park. Nearby is Brasserie Bofinger, one of the oldest and classiest places to dine (http://www.bofingerparis.com). It has a gorgeous domed stained-glass ceiling over the main dining room.

MONTMARTRE/BASILIQUE DU SACRE-COEUR (church started being built in 1875 on one of highest points in Paris, dedicated in 1910); dome is second highest point in Paris, took 35 years to build with public conscription, great views at dawn and dusk plus from dome area over city, area made famous by artist Toulouse Lautrec, cubism born there; do direct Metro here, nearest station is Anvers or Pigalle. With its narrow cobblestone streets, gardens, steep steps and view over the city, this area is the emblem of romantic Paris. This church was mainly dedicated in the memory of those thousands who died in the uprising of the Paris Commune of 1870-71. Two dining options to consider in this area are: La Cremaillere on the famous Place du Tertre, where artists and intellectuals would meet. Just before World War I many artists such as Picassso, Modigliani, Utrillo and Apollinaire lived nearby. +33 1 4606 5859, info@cremaillere1900.com, Open Hours: 9a-12:30a M-Su. http://www.cremaillere1900.com/ Au Lapin Agile gives a flavor of Montmartre as it was at the turn of the century when it was a favorite of local artists and intellectuals. Open Tuesday to Sunday 9pm to 2am. 22, Rue Saules, 75018 Paris, +33 1 46 06 85 87, http://www.au-lapin-agile.com

Reactions and questions? Tell us more and we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests. Below are a few other Paris visuals to help you consider your options that haven't been posted on this thread.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,560 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Looking at Notre Dame, this angle shows the flying buttresses supporting the walls:

ParNtDmFlyingBt.jpg

At Notre Dame, a little jazz is being played in front of this famed church:

NotreDmJazz.jpg

In Paris, along the Seine, this is a view of the Louvre from the d’Orsay Museum:

ParRiverLouvre.jpg

Inside the Louvre, this is one of the enclosed courtyards filled with sculpture:

ParLourveInside.jpg

In Paris, there are many different bakery places. Here are two shots in Paul’s. Lots of good and interesting options there and other like establishments. Some of their locations have café/dining areas to sit and enjoy the food.:

ParisPaulsInteriorCafe.jpg

ParisPaulsCuteStaff.jpg

My DH and I were in Paris in December. We stayed at the Hotel Brighton top floor executive suite. From our balcony we could see many landmarks including a small piece of the top of Notre Dame, the Louvre, the Orsay, the Eiffel Tower, and the top of the Arc de triomphe. There was a subway entrance right across the street. I'm sure there are many other great locations, but we did enjoy the convenience of the subway being so close. We used Linda who rode the subway with us and spent a day showing us around. She is originally from Texas and made our stay much more fun. You can contact Linda at: parisphototours@aol.com. She helped us find some unique spots in Paris, and it was fun to spend the day with her.

My Ohio neighbor, ecall, makes two wonderful points in the above post. First, they had what sounds like a great hotel with an excellent location right near a handy Metro stop. Their website is http://www.paris-hotel-brighton.com Their location, in checking the maps seems very handy to many key attractions. The Hotel Brighton is located near the rue Saint Honoré and rue de Rivoli.

Second, they used Linda as a guide. We used her in 2007 and she was super excellent. Even if you know some things on Paris, as we do, having an insider take you around helps so much. This makes it easier to learn lots of interesting, added details, insights about this great, historic city.

Just starting to plan the details of our summer trip and found this thread. What a wonderful resource, thanks to all who have contributed.

We will be visting paris pre-cruise in August (yes I know it is hot, but it the only time the family can go). We are a family of 4, DH & myself with my daughter (21 at the time) who studied french for 5+ years and has been promised a trip to Paris, and my son (16 at the time) who isn't really into a lot of the 'boring tourist' stuff. DD has certain areas she wants to visit but looking for any other thoughts to keep everyone happy.

We only have 2 days (late afternoon on Thursday to late afternoon on Saturday). Between my DD and travel agent we are looking at staying at the Des Nations St Germain. Not sure if that is the 5th or 6th ar. It appears to get good reviews for families and is fairly close to the metro.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Agree that is an excellent summary point, especially for lovely and romantic Paris. To others, I have raised this question: How do you want to “ENJOY" and "EXPERIENCE" things in the Paris, France, etc?

Rush-rush and gulp it down like soda pop or beer . . . OR . . . sip and savor the moment like fine wine, doing people watching, sensing an enjoyment of life and the humanity, the natural beauty, the architecture, history and charm? It's your choice!!!

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,500 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Terry, everytime I come up on one of your comments on a thread, I love it ! You sent me an e-mail and somehow it was deleted. I'm the girl from Alabama who is planning her first Meditteranean cruise in May. We will be flying into Paris to meet our foreign exchange "daughter". We will arrive early on a Saturday morning, have the entire day and all day Sunday. Then we will drive to her home Sunday evening in Nantes, and fly from there to Barcelona on Tues. morning before getting on our ship on Thursday. You seem to know so much about so many places ! I't's a joy to read your comments, but your photos are a feast for the eyes ! I've written down your quote about " rush and gulp, or sip and savor ". I really think that I could allow you to plan my entire trip, and it would be perfect ! Thank you for sharing with us all. If you don't mind e-mailing me again, my address is louanneb at corrcomm dot net. I may have some questions for you, and I hate to take up space on a thread that isn't applicable to it !

We were in Paris last year for a few days, and I agree about an introductory tour (L'Open Bus). We also purchased a Bateauboat ticket which also takes you to many of the major sights. We rented an apartment through VRBO in the Montorguiel area, near the Louvre and the 7th arrondissement. Rue Montorguiel is a pedestrian district with many shops, such as pastry and cheese shops. The food there was so fresh, and the quiche from Paul's Bakery was unbelievable.

What helped: speaking a little French, even though it was not perfect

Suggestion: my husband learned that we could usually find someone to help with directions or other information at newstands.

If you are there on a Sunday evening, there is an American expatriate who opens his home to guests. His name is Jim Haynes, and he lived in Louisiana before traveling and moving to Europe. Jim says many travelers go to see the sights, but since he likes people he goes to see friends. He has many American guests, but also people from France and all over the world. We did find friends there, and our evening was a highlight of our trip, especially for my husband who is a people person.

My DH and I were in Paris in December. We stayed at the Hotel Brighton top floor executive suite. From our balcony we could see many landmarks including a small piece of the top of Notre Dame, the Louvre, the Orsay, the Eiffel Tower, and the top of the Arc de triomphe.

We also stayed at Hotel Brighton. It was wonderful falling asleep after seeing the Eiffel Tower light show then waking up for an early morning run through Tulleries Jarden. There were plenty of cafes to get breakfast or lunch and eat in the park. It was convenient to so much. We will be returning some day.

Terry, everytime I come up on one of your comments on a thread, I love it ! You sent me an e-mail and somehow it was deleted. I'm the girl from Alabama who is planning her first Meditteranean cruise in May. We will be flying into Paris to meet our foreign exchange "daughter". We will arrive early on a Saturday morning, have the entire day and all day Sunday. Then we will drive to her home Sunday evening in Nantes, and fly from there to Barcelona on Tues. morning before getting on our ship on Thursday. You seem to know so much about so many places ! I't's a joy to read your comments, but your photos are a feast for the eyes ! I've written down your quote about " rush and gulp, or sip and savor ". I really think that I could allow you to plan my entire trip, and it would be perfect ! Thank you for sharing with us all. If you don't mind e-mailing me again, my address is louanneb at corrcomm dot net. I may have some questions for you, and I hate to take up space on a thread that isn't applicable to it !

THANKS for your nice comments. Just sent back some info to you. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 30,100 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Archived